Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Accelerating issue/ vibrations

Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
RubberTank is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
RubberTank's Tacoma Gallery
Accelerating issue/ vibrations

so recently I have noticed an issue with my truck thats now getting to the point where its unbareable. For some reason when I accelerate my whole truck shakes and vibrates, but its only when I give it some gas, if I press the accelerator lightly it doesn't do it and as soon as I let off the pedal it goes away completely. I was recently hit me on my front bumper, the person only hit me doing 5mph so I dont think it has to do with that, tho it seems worse since the accident.

I only have a 1.5" lift in the front and have 265/70/17. I had my tires rotated, balanced, and an alignment about 2 months ago also.

Im a 2007 DCSB Prerunner.

Any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting or what the problem could be?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
RubberTank is on a distinguished road

RubberTank's Tacoma Gallery
bump.... Need some advice.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Check the u-joints. Once the bearings go bad it will make it vibrate like no other. How many miles does your truck have?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
John D is on a distinguished road

Army: Hvy. Truck Driver 89th. Trans. Co.
Name: Johnny D.
John D's Tacoma Gallery
2012 D/C Prerunner

Mine has done this from day one! If I start off fast it will viberate, If I start off easy it does not!
I have asked dealer about this and they say it is normal, all of them do this.
So far no one knows much about this problem! I only have 1700 Miles on it. I have the 6 clinder. John D.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
On the 2007 Prerunner I'd have a good mechanic look it over real good especially the motor and transmission mounts. Look at the engine and have someone race it up it several time. Engines will move under hard acceleration and maybe it's touching something, like the fan blade just touching something which you feel as a vibration. While 5 mph may seem slow it can do damage especially on newer vehicles designed to crumple.

John D maybe ask the dealer to let you drive another for comparison.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Bump

Sorry, not one of the experts about this, but this will bump it to the top, so maybe one of them will chime in.
Meantime, I'll contribute some I've picked up from reading some threads here.
Front Lift is a less common cause of Vibration than Rear Lift, I believe
Read up on "Axle Wrap". Torque causes your axle to rotate.
The only thing holding your axle from rotating (besides being attached to your drive shaft) is your rear leaf spring "U-bolts".
I recently read a thread about under-torqued Ubolts, HERE.
Also a Video of Axle Wrap, HERE
There's probably more if you search
Check your U-Bolts.
Also, if your running a stock 3 leaf spring pack and they're old, they may flex more, allowing the axle to rotate more.
Just a couple of thoughts
Remember, the "Search Function" is your friend.
Search and read up on vibrations
I hope I haven't misled you with any misinformation.
But if I have it'll be a
The experts will be sure to let me know

Good Luck

CC
Old 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
OP it's your u-joints, replace the bad one with Spicer 5-213X. It is the greasable version of the sealed OEM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
^^I was actually referring to the OP's post. You have a brand new truck so your u-joints are good.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
mibpf is on a distinguished road
mibpf's Tacoma Gallery
I took my 2 month old Tacoma in today to have the vibration issue analyzed. I get vibration upon acceleration until the speed reaches 20 mph. You can feel it in the steering wheel, floorboard and drivers seat. The dealer did confirm their is vibration but they had to open up a special case with Toyota Engineers so they can receive guidance from them to determine a path forward. I was told I will be contacted Monday after the dealer talks too Toyota. I am concerned since the dealer did no have a fix. I am keeping my fingers crossed.