1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any one know anything about ABS?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bobfm10350, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jun 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    bobfm10350

bobfm10350 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deric
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Access Limited Tonneau, Hawk LTS Brake Pads, SP Performance Slotted Rotors, Goodrich G-Stop Brake Lines, Thule Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100s Front and Rear, Eibach Coil Springs, Cabela's Floor Mats, 265-75-16 Duratracs, Fog Light Anytime Mod, D-Rings Mod, USA Spec PA15 TOY Ipod Adapter, Gorilla Lock Nuts, K&N Drop-In Air Filter, Wet Okole Seat Covers Front & Rear, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Viper 5901 Car Alarm
    Long story short, I screwed up my ABS module trying to jump start my truck and now I'm looking for a replacement. Much like in this thread...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/178885-abs-actuator-motor-assembly-failure.html

But I'm trying to avoid the $3000 bill and just replace it myself. As of now I'm just working on finding the correct part. Due to the fact that the ABS module controls features other than ABS itself such as VSC, I am assuming will need to find the specific part for my truck-- 2006 4.0l Prerunner TRD-Off Road.

Now I am not entirely sure what functions all work off of the ABS module but would the truck I get the part from need to be a TRD Off Road as well? IIRC when I engage the e-locker the ABS light normally comes on.

Also if anyone has any experience working with the ABS module and could shed some light on the issue it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jun 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I would call a dealer and ask for the part numbers from an Offroad and a base model That way you know if they are all the same part in a your year group.
    Make sure you get the part number for the one in your truck too and then you can compare any modules you look for to that number.

I am not positive but I would think the ABS module for a given model year would be the same and just use different wiring harnesses to activate different functions (ie: an extra wire for ABS shut off when the locker engages).

But the part numbers means you can shop sites like Rock auto or LKQ and try to find an aftermarket or used option.

You could also rebuild the brake system without ABS?

3. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    bobfm10350

Member:
    First Name:
    Deric
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    Access Limited Tonneau, Hawk LTS Brake Pads, SP Performance Slotted Rotors, Goodrich G-Stop Brake Lines, Thule Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100s Front and Rear, Eibach Coil Springs, Cabela's Floor Mats, 265-75-16 Duratracs, Fog Light Anytime Mod, D-Rings Mod, USA Spec PA15 TOY Ipod Adapter, Gorilla Lock Nuts, K&N Drop-In Air Filter, Wet Okole Seat Covers Front & Rear, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Viper 5901 Car Alarm
    Oh okay I see what your saying with the wiring harness part but I guess I should just call to be sure.

I did see that some people just remove their ABS all together but I was thinking it would be easier for me to just swap out the ABS modules if possible. Hopefully I wont need to replace the entire pump. I'm trying to avoid having to deal with flushing the brake fluid if at all possible because I'm not quite sure how to flush the fluid/air from the ABS pump.

4. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    ABS+on+and+off.jpg
    as much as i know...

5. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Your going to have to flush the air out of the system regardless if you open any brake line.

6. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    bobfm10350

Member:
    First Name:
    Deric
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    I believe flushing the ABS system is a little more involved than the standard method at each wheel though. From what I've read a computer either needs to be hooked up to the system to engage the ABS while flushing the fluid or I could do the DIY method and just flush the whole system then try and engage the ABS on a dirt road or something then bleed out the brakes. I'm trying to avoid it all together though.

7. Jun 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Taco's without lockers do not use a different ABS system than trucks with lockers, just different wiring. I know this for a fact because I modified the wiring in mine ('06 base model) without a locker to mimic the locker signal for an ABS disable switch.

A few things though, have you checked all the fuses, and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes to see if there is hope for your current ABS ECU?

You should also be able to replace the ABS ECU without replacing the whole modulator pump assembly, which would eliminate the need for bleeding, etc.

Does your truck have VSC?

8. Jun 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Awesome-My limited knowledge of auto wiring made that my guess...so I glad to know that I was close on the concept!! Thanks.

9. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    bobfm10350

Member:
    First Name:
    Deric
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    Well here is a little background on everything that happened to get me here... I did blow a 30A fuse to "ABS NO.2" IIRC so I replaced that with a new fuse and the moment I put the new fuse in smoke started to flood my engine bay. This is how I determined my ABS ECU must be done for as I localized the smoke to the unit. Also I looked in the wiring diagram in the FSM and it appears that the fuse which was blown leads to the solenoid within the ABS module.

I still need to check some of the wires in the wiring harness to make sure they aren't the culprit. I wouldn't want to replace the part only to find that once a put everything back together the ABS ECU starts to smoke again.

I was able to remove the ABS ECU yesterday from the pump which turned out to be a bit of a pain. There are four torx T-20 screws that need to be removed and they are in a fairly precarious position. Naturally, I ended up stripping the bottom two screws and had to dremel a cut into them so I could fit a flat head screwdriver in there. But I eventually got it out so all is well. Now I'm just waiting on the part. I should be able to get a used one for around $150.

My truck does not have VSC though. They added that in '09 right?

Products Discussed in

To Top