1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6spd manual transmission differences

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SMKYTXN, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    x2:cool:

2. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    There is fluid flow inside the converter. There is always flow. True, it is not neutral energy, but since the TCC is mechanically locked, all it does is generate heat. Because the TCC is in lockup, both the inlet side of the converter and the outlet (turbine) side are turning at equal speeds, you have the outward flow curling back around to the inside, and pushing against the turbine, which is turning already at the same speed. This makes the fluid coupling ineffective during lockup. The only energy loss is through heat (due to friction). Picture this, you blow on a fan that is turned off....the fan blades turn. you are generating energy (the airflow) and are turning the fan. Now let's turn the fan ON. (i.e. simulating TCC lockup) Now blow on the fan blades (in the correct direction) While you are STILL expending energy, it is useless, because the TCC lockup is spinning the system faster than you can by blowing on it. (a very mundane description, but it gives a GENERAL description of how it works) The Stator inside has a one-way clutch. This allows the stator to turn in only one direction. Once TCC lockup is in effect, the stator, turbine, and housing are all rotating together at once, at equal speed.

3. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Every thread I get the same reaction to my sig. That is why I haven't changed it. You should have seen some of the other sigs I had when I first started posting....lol

4. Jun 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    :popcorn:
    Geez, is this interwebz arguing over???? :rant::laughing:

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Hey, leave Bill's sig pic alone. Trust me, it's substantially better than looking at a picture of Bill himself. :rofl:

6. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Well I could have posted a picture of YOU Stewart....

[​IMG]

7. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    man, remember a while back when i said something about having marlin turn us out a new gear set? then people argued about whether or not avg Joe can turn a set of gears, then argued of course on the differences between auto and manual.

i still believe in the manual transmission. the automatic is fine. they did a wonderful job. it, in its current form under current scenarios of use, it is more efficient.

the auto is less efficient at a howstuffworks level of knowledge.
    the only hope for the manual now is that it could possibly match that efficiency. it doesn't because our minds nor our six gears can match the countless combinations of 5 hard-gear ratio's supplied with what is essentially a variable gear itself and the years of research by many minds who figure out how each variation will best transmit power under a given load.

much of the work was done because of the nature of the torque converter, they just had to perfect the vane design and add a locking mechanism.

now wonder why my dinosaur manual cost more and from what i read is less reliable

8. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Oh, come on. That's my cousin. Or at least I think he's my cousin. Could be my uncle. Anyway, I don't have that many teeth, my hair is a lot grayer, and I don't dress that fancy. Still look better than you, though.

9. Jun 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Oh my bad, I posted the wrong picture....

[​IMG]

10. Jun 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ha Ha too funny

11. Jun 30, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    LOL. There you go. Ain't I handsome?

12. Aug 1, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Towing power? Expecting to see some customers to actually lift their truck and put bigger tires/wheels? I would love to see a higher 6th gear as well, because my engine runs a bit fast on the highway. I'm sure if I slow down to 55 I would see a return too. But if I ever upgrade to larger wheels, I'll see the engine slow down, and a bit of a drop in my acceleration. Give a lil' take a lil' Engineers always have to walk that fine line.

13. Aug 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    Just curious...did you design it? Do you have an engineering degree? What about a degree in fluid dynamics?

Here's the thing, you've been so defensive and down right rude (armoral academy)...I am not in the auto field...but an ASE certification is NOT easy to get...

And transmissions aren't as simple as...a + b, it's like saying, i read all the ingreidients to make a cake, dumped them all in a bowl put it in the oven and it didn't work...

Since you've been just rude and argumentive, and the other has ACTUAL credentials ( you dismissing them as bogus doesn't change that )...he wins. grow up...especially since you must have wasted SO SO SO much time reseaching this while he knew it from actual expierience. but what do I know.

14. Aug 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    Jonesn13

Jonesn13 Nifty

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '16 T4R Trail Premium, 08 AC 4x4 6spd(Sold)
    Some, Suspension and stuff, tires, maybeh some armor.
    SO..... Mr OP,

Have you had any success with that "f" transmission yet?

I would love to hear if there is a way to reduce cruising RPMs.

15. Jan 30, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    FishaRnekEd

FishaRnekEd Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4.0 6spd 4x4 Dbl Cb short bed
    THIS GOT OFF TOPIC.... DID ANYONE MAKE A FRANKENSTEIN TRANSMISSION YET???

16. Mar 1, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    I didn't read the whole thread, but it occurs to me that everyone is bolting on a manually shifted (often twin-sticked) FJ T-case to their 2nd Gen Taco transmission. Since both are running the same 4.0L, it seems to me the simple answer is to just pull the RA61F and manual T-case out of an FJ and slap it in your Taco. What I'd REALLY like to know is if I could bolt a 5VZ bell housing to the front of a RA61F It has a lot lower first gear, and a slightly higher overdrive gear than my R150F. Both good things, if you're running lower than stock gears.

Vegg8 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top