Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Debadging ??? Please explain the reason

Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #61
tragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant future
tragerbon's Tacoma Gallery
Pulled mine off the first week, with a pocket knife and finger tips at the car wash.

I don't work for Toyota and they did not pay me to advertise on my truck.

And lastly...We don't need no stinking badges !
Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #62
*~*
TacoJenn is on a distinguished road
Name: Jennifer
TacoJenn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvtalon View Post
Well said. For one thing I'm just kind of sick of writing and advertisements on damn near everything. The back of a lot of pickups look like novels. With a few accessories on it you might have "Lund, Pop n lock, Chevrolet Sierra HD 3500 4x4 Duramax Diesel Allison Transmission, Bob's Chevrolet - heartbeat of america (on a sticker and the plate frame) then the state, state slogan, and actual license plate number on the plate and don't forget '4x4' on both mudflaps.

I can't get rid of the plate but every other logo is gone with the exception of the T on the grille, which will be gone when I do a satoshi. Resist being a corporate whore!

The other thing is it just looks cleaner. I debadge all my vehicles, it's a clean simple look and the other thing I really like is it makes it a lot easier to wash and wax without badges and stickers in the way.

As for the Bimmer you wouldn't debadge it because the badges are the reason you buy one in the first place.

Hahaha heartbeat of America... My first car was a 93 blazer and it had a heartbeat of America decal on the tailgate, heartbeat of America license plate frame and heartbeat of America floor mats.... Overkill?? Lol I never did take them off after I bought it but I thought it was funny...
Old 10-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #63
GWinstead is on a distinguished road
Army:
GWinstead's Tacoma Gallery
Side badges off, rear 'toyota' badge removed. Don't slam my fingers into the damn things when washing/waxing and looks better.

Old at 36? I'm 62.

Once upon a time, badges were attached by holes in the body, a nut or something behind the sheet metal to fasten to the stud that went through the body panel.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #64
Fightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fightman80's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

I personally like some of the badges, but agree.... there is a little too much on the tail gate. I'm planning on taking off the "Toyota" emblem, as well as "SR5 V6" on the opposite side.

That being said, I'm also not a fan of the white outline on my "TRD SPORT" stickers on the bedside.... so looking at some color options to have Sock do for me (providing he'll ship to Canada?? lol!)

I'm also looking at adding some TRD emblems from E-bay on the tail gate and possibly on my grill..... but that's not set in stone yet....
Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #65
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't mind the badges but I really don't like that lame wanna be chrome look. So mine are all coming off and I am replacing them with the black ones!!
Looks so much better especially with the MGM.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #66
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
unless it's a hot rod, or a highly customized truck/vehicle (usually w/ custom paint)...I think shaving manufacturer badging looks like there was an accident and the badging was never replaced after the repaint.

Although, I won't have any dealer stickers or plate frame on my truck/cars.

And, I'm on the fence with the TRD Sport stickers on the bedsides.

btw, I'm 53...and while I'm not running for office, I approve of this message.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #67
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightman80 View Post
....... so looking at some color options to have Sock do for me (providing he'll ship to Canada?? lol!)....
He does. I ordered a set from him last year.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #68
Damaged Goods
ag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ag4892's Tacoma Gallery
I ran with them for 2 years, took them off trying to shave wieght off the vehicle. My gas milage has gone up .2 mpg, well worth it!

no, really it is like painting the wheels black or putting a sticker on, nothing to figure out, if you dont get it, dont do it.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #69
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Clean............

Too Busy, too cluttery, too much............

Same thing, nah.............

Better...............

Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #70
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
unless it's a hot rod, or a highly customized truck/vehicle (usually w/ custom paint)...I think shaving manufacturer badging looks like there was an accident and the badging was never replaced after the repaint.

I agree. If one is a little older they might remember having to purchase the lower priced basic model vehicles in their younger and poorer days.

These were usually plain with little trim on the outside, roll up windows and and no radio (in the old days) etc. You finally get to afford a vehicle with a few features bells and whistles and heck, I'm not removing or "modding" any of it.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #71
stocksport will become famous soon enoughstocksport will become famous soon enough

stocksport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post

I'm in the same boat. When I was shopping for my truck (used) I found a few with de-badged tailgates. The first thing that popped in my head was that it was in an accident. I will say that I couldn't stand the chrome, so I plasti-dipped mine and they're still holding up 7 months later. I'm 27... if that matters to anyone.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #72
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Took all my badages off and only kept my Bed Decals, couldn't be anymore happier. If I own A sport, i'd do the same plus taking off the bed decals...
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #73
Beers is on a distinguished road
Beers's Tacoma Gallery
I removed mine with the intention of painting them black and then putting them back on. However after removal I decided I really liked the clean look and have left them off. It has made washing and waxing a little easier.

In the past I thought the same as some others about cars without badges; looked like they were in an accident. Now I like the look and am sticking with it. It is much better than looking at the plastic-chrome badges turn to crap from the winter chemicals on the roads. Besides, all that matters is how I like it.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #74
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
I agree. If one is a little older they might remember having to purchase the lower priced basic model vehicles in their younger and poorer days.

These were usually plain with little trim on the outside, roll up windows and and no radio (in the old days) etc. You finally get to afford a vehicle with a few features bells and whistles and heck, I'm not removing or "modding" any of it.
Agree

plus...if ya really want to mod/custom in a "shaved" clean way...

gotta go all the way...

remove & fill the door and tailgate handles..."french-in" the antenna...remove the rear bumper and do a roll pan...remove or fill the fender flares for a seamless look...etc.

old school custom.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #75
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Took mine off becuase I hate chrome with a passion. Also took them off becuase I know my truck is a prerunner, has the V6, and is a Toyota Tacoma.

Started pulling on them at the dealership before I bought the truck to see how good the stupid double face tape was. Once I got the truck home I pulled them off and threw them in the trash. After that came the mudflaps, hate those things too.

I've been taking badges off of every vehicle I have ever owned and have now perfected the art. Yep I've been doing this for quite a while now, almost 20 years.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #76
phantomblackgto is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
phantomblackgto's Tacoma Gallery
To me, there's two schools of thought on no badging. Remove all the badges. Was every panel on the vehicle damaged in an accident? Most likely not. Someone that removes the badges is obviously more of an enthusiast and more than likely cared more for their vehicle than the average Joe. The only customizations that scare me away from a used vehicle are electrical. Anything else and you're getting their hard work and mods for free or a hell of a lot less than you would have to pay for them. I took mine off as soon as I got it home from the dealer.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #77
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomblackgto View Post
To me, there's two schools of thought on no badging. Remove all the badges. Was every panel on the vehicle damaged in an accident? Most likely not. Someone that removes the badges is obviously more of an enthusiast and more than likely cared more for their vehicle than the average Joe. The only customizations that scare me away from a used vehicle are electrical. Anything else and you're getting their hard work and mods for free or a hell of a lot less than you would have to pay for them. I took mine off as soon as I got it home from the dealer.

Now that is a good looking truck phantom. I like the gray and you kept the wheels silver which is perfect.

Another off-topic note concerning badges and this is no exaggeration whatsoever. For an older fart like me who's held very little interest in the world-wide car scene over the last 30+ years, I could not even tell you the maker of a single car or SUV on the road today by sight without seeing the badges. Let alone which one of the 48 dozen different models offered by each maker. And forget about knowing what year it is. Not unless it is the exact same model that I or friends/relatives have owned recently.

I can recognize at least the make of most trucks, but today's cars and SUVs all look like identical painted turtles running around.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #78
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now that is a good looking truck phantom. I like the gray and you kept the wheels silver which is perfect.

Another off-topic note concerning badges and this is no exaggeration whatsoever. For an older fart like me who's held very little interest in the world-wide car scene over the last 30+ years, I could not even tell you the maker of a single car or SUV on the road today by sight without seeing the badges. Let alone which one of the 48 dozen different models offered by each maker. And forget about knowing what year it is. Not unless it is the exact same model that I or friends/relatives have owned recently.

I can recognize at least the make of most trucks, but today's cars and SUVs all look like identical painted turtles running around.
because of government CAFE mandates and the wind tunnel
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #79
phantomblackgto is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
phantomblackgto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks. Yea, I wanted something a little different. Seems like you see a lot of black wheels on the Tacos.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #80
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
I saw earlier the best way to debadge the plastic Tacoma and V6 emblems, is there a trick to taking the stupid TRD stickers off the rear fenders or just peel them off like you would any normal sticker?