Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Height Adjustable Seat Rails for the Tacoma?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
kiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud of
Name: Danny
kiteboarder's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Height Adjustable Seat Rails for the Tacoma?

My wife is a has a short torso and she complains that the seating position in the 2012 Tacoma is too low for her. Unfortunately, the Taco's stock seats are not heigh-adjustable. Is there an aftermarket system of seat rails that would allow to convert the stock driver's seat into a height adjustable seat?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

Actually being semi-serious, they do make 'shim' pillows for driving. The problem is, if you lift her up, she might have trouble reaching the pedals which means she'll move the seat ahead putting her dangerously close to the air bag in the event of a crash. Just something to be mindful of... adjustable seats would have the same result.

Otherwise, I have not seen an adjustable seat rail but I'm sure one could be made to fit.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
kiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud of
^^^ That's an idea, but less than ideal. I guess I have to point out... She has super-model LONG legs.

In fact, I'm 5'10" and her legs are longer than mine. So raising the seats in cars, while still being far from the wheel is very normal for her.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Longer bolts and some steel spacers between the seat rails and the floor mounting points, or between the seat pan and the seat rails? Both might be dodgy in an accident though.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteboarder View Post
^^^ That's an idea, but less than ideal. I guess I have to point out... She has super-model LONG legs.

In fact, I'm 5'10" and her legs are longer than mine. So raising the seats in cars, while still being far from the wheel is very normal for her.
Lucky bastard

Hopefully you find something that will work. I'm sure with a little ingenuity you could take the motorized rails from a Subaru or Ford and mount them up. Personally though, I'm a little weary of messing with the seat mounting because of how strong the mount needs to be to keep you secure in an accident. I know a pillow is less than ideal but might be the safest option unless you have a good metal fabricator.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuxdiesel View Post
Longer bolts and some steel spacers between the seat rails and the floor mounting points, or between the seat pan and the seat rails? Both might be dodgy in an accident though.
It needs to be adjustable because I'd be driving the truck too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Lucky bastard

Hopefully you find something that will work. I'm sure with a little ingenuity you could take the motorized rails from a Subaru or Ford and mount them up. Personally though, I'm a little weary of messing with the seat mounting because of how strong the mount needs to be to keep you secure in an accident. I know a pillow is less than ideal but might be the safest option unless you have a good metal fabricator.
Haha, thanks. Yep, I know... There's a pic of her on this page:

http://dannycruz.com/kiteboarding/video.html

Anyway, long legs aside... what you suggested above is sort of what I had in mind - Using a motorized seat rails from another car. But they need to fit the seat mounting bolts in the truck perfectly in order for it to be safe.

I wonder if anybody has done this in this forum. I'm sure someone must have.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteboarder View Post

Haha, thanks. Yep, I know... There's a pic of her on this page:

http://dannycruz.com/kiteboarding/video.html

Nice!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by resq330 View Post
Nice!
x2
Old 06-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
^ Haha, thanks.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
What about the seat rails from another toyota vehicle?
Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
^^^ Good point. My old '08 Scion XB had height adjustable seats. That just got me thinking. How the heck does Toyota put adjustable height seats in a $17k car yet not in their best selling truck $30K truck? O.o
Old 07-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Very few seat swaps on this site.

Only seat swaps I have seen done were from 4 runners. Heat and power.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuxdiesel View Post
that would work - but no adjustment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
Very few seat swaps on this site.

Only seat swaps I have seen done were from 4 runners. Heat and power.
Very true...
Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
Membor
Cowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura about

Name: Luke
Cowboyz's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I have to say this is a pretty major problem for my wife. She is 4 10 and I have the scoop so she really struggles. I'm 6 3 so I love the seat hight but she refuses to drive. Really sucked when I broke my ankle and had to drive myself to the hospital
Old 07-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Well, for me it's that I have the opportunity of trading my wife's Mustang for a Taco. But it would be for her (which I don't mind) - So it needs to suit her best. But I need adjustability. Longer bolts and some steel block as spacers would work well and if done right (stainless steel bolts, large spacer with lots of surface area) shouldn't be dodgy in an accident. But the problem is the adjustability, I need to lower the seat for me.

I really wonder if a Scion seat might fit. Or at least the seat bases. I can't believe my $17K XB had height adjustable seats, but Yota can't put them in a $30K Taco (I might have said that already).

Doing a seat swap with a 4Runner might be a good idea... But to keep costs under control it might have to be an older model that has been wrecked, yet not popped any seat airbags. Or maybe buying an older one, swapping the seats and selling it. Or maybe trading seats with an older 4Runner with someone who doesn't need the adjustability and would rather have brand new seats. I'd then take the old seats and wrap them in leather.

Anyway, any ideas as to would model year 4Runner seats will fit the gen 2 Taco?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
How about a Wet Okole-type seat base cover that was made with a really thick layer of oem density foam under the neoprene. You could slip it on (and fasten it with straps and buckles) when shorty needs to drive, and take it off quickly when it's your turn. The fastening straps would be important to keep it from sliding during an emergency. I have a set from a late model Subie Forester that I have been trying to sell (with no luck), so I am using one temporarily to keep my seat clean until I get some new covers. The base fits OK, the back only a fair fit. PM if you are interested in borrowing one to try.