1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck won't move

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by swalik, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jun 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    This, but be carefull of high pressure fluid when you do, as high pressure fluid can be forced through your skin with serious consequences. If you can, put a clear nylon tube over the bleeder nipple, and into a container. If you release pressure and the brakes release, then you have to work your way upstream. If you don't release pressure when you open the bleeder(s), then you are looking at a mechanical issue, not a hydraulic issue.

Maybe your dad got a line lock installed for the burnout competition and didn't tell you about it?

2. Jun 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Same thing happened to me a few years back after washing the truck and letting it sit over night. When i went to go to work the next morning it wouldn't move. After giving it gas it broke free and made a hell of a noise. Hasn't happened since but i now make a habit of driving around the block after washing it. I've read here the same thing can happen after launching a boat.

3. Jun 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    swalik

swalik [OP] A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner
    kenwood deck, two 12" kenwood subs, power acoustik 2000watt amp, gabriel air shocks, cobra cb radio, 25 watt radioshack pa speaker, magnaflow exhaust
    I think you're referring to the parking brake being stuck, which is not what is going on in my situation.

4. Jun 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I have a hunch it may be the pads rusted onto the rotors.. They will break loose if this is the issue.

5. Jun 25, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    swalik

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner
    kenwood deck, two 12" kenwood subs, power acoustik 2000watt amp, gabriel air shocks, cobra cb radio, 25 watt radioshack pa speaker, magnaflow exhaust
    So it turns out the abs was being dumb and not letting the truck move. Pumped the brake pedal a few times and the brakes let go and the truck moved forward.

6. Jun 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I figured it was some shenanigans further up the line. Glad to hear you got it worked out!

7. Jun 25, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    swalik

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner
    Looking at the rotors while my dad tried to move it, I could see that they weren't locked up. So I figured it must be abs and pumping the brakes just fixed it.

8. Jun 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    ^ I agree...How could it be a abs problem when the issue only happens after the brakes get wet (after washing or launching a boat) and the truck sits afterward?

9. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    swalik

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner
    I don't think that the wet had anything to do with it after all. I was just saying what happened leading up to the issue in hopes of finding the solution. I think the problem was caused more by the abs just acting funny and pumping the brakes fixed whatever went wrong.

10. Jun 26, 2012 at 5:10 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    OP, glad you found the solution.

A similar thing happened to my wife's '86 Ranger when we were dating (no ABS, obviously). All four wheels were locked up during a very cold PA winter. It turned out that the brake booster got some water in it and froze the booster in the 'brakes-applied' position. I was able to use a heat gun to unfreeze it, then replaced the booster the next day. Never happened again after that (ca. 2001) and her dad still uses the truck as a beater to this day.

11. Jun 26, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    Wow...stupid abs :cool:

12. Jun 26, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If you do a search here you'll find alot of threads about this and the one thing they all have in common is it happens when the truck sits all day or overnight after getting washed or launching a boat.

13. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I don't think it was the ABS System. The ABS System runs a complete test on itself every time it is powered on. It cycles all the solenoid valves etc. If one sticks or the pressure is stuck it will fault and the ABS Light will remain illuminated.

14. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    How did you see that the calipers were not locked up?

If you could see the pads move when he was pressing the brakes then the brakes were not holding the front wheels. I'm not seeing the front wheels being held so tight by the brakes that it would drag the tires.

It could have been the transfer case gears binding.

15. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Being that it's happened numerous times after boat launches i allways assumed it had something to do with the back brakes since that's the area that gets wet.

16. Jun 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    6L PSD

6L PSD Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCSB OR TXP
    Fogs anytime, locker anytime, Moose lights (Lightforce), Randy Ellis Design light bar
    ...or sits out in the cold!

17. Aug 31, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    dogpaddle

dogpaddle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Tacoma Double Cab Longbed
    I had the same thing happen last weekend and came to the forum to see if others have had the issue.

Mine has done it twice -- once last year in my damp garage (I could have, but don't remember having washed it in the days before), and this one last week outside after sitting overnight in warm weather.

Mine was stuck so badly that I put it in 4WD (didnt' think about 4L) and it still wouldn't unstick. I spun out in my driveway, out into the street, tried a few passes front and back still spinning, and got it back into the driveway crooked. Since it was 9pm, I went to my neighbors on each side to tell them I wasn't drunk and to not be concerned. When I got back in my truck to try again, it was completely unstuck.

It sounds like a damp/wet issue with the pads becoming rusty and locking up to me. Anybody agree? I fear that if it does it again that I'll be stranded someone the next day after a rain or car wash sprayoff for salt/mud.

Any thoughts on preventative measures after washing besides to drive it a bit before letting it sit?

Thanks!

-- Jon

18. Aug 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't wash the brakes?

19. Aug 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    Drive it around for a while after you wash it, brakes will heat up and dry.

20. Aug 31, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    pretty retarded that water from a washing can render the truck undrivable..

what the fuck happens if it rains hard?

Products Discussed in

To Top