1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer won't perform suspension TSB..now out of warranty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 8th sin, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Jan 1, 2009 at 11:03 PM
    8th sin

8th sin [OP] Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    Hey all, About a month ago I purchased a 2006 prerunner SR5 doublecab with 34600 miles. The truck does not have the factory tow package, although I do intend on towing near the truck's rated capacity. I became aware of the rear suspension TSB on this forum, verified I had the three leaf pack, and contacted my closest dealer for an appointment. I told the service writer that I had loaded some furniture in the bed and the rear suspension bottomed out over moderate bumps. I did not make mention of the TSB. After two hours of waiting, the service writer tells me they didnt find anything wrong with the suspension. I did not have time to argue, so I left and contacted another dealer a few days later.

By then I was pushing 35,900 miles and would certainly exceed 36K over the holidays. I told the second dealer the same story and mentioned I saw a TSB for it. They agreed to order new rear struts and install them a few days later. Again I did not push the point, hoping that toyota would ship the bilstein struts instead of the OEM. After they were installed I verified the leafpacks were the same and the struts, while new, were the same part number.

I am now several hundred miles out of warranty, yet the issue has not been resolved. Do you guys think I have a chance at convincing a dealer that since I reported the issues under warranty and that there is an official TSB I will have a chance at getting the TSB performed correctly? I have a 22ft boat and the trailer has a gross weight of about 5200 pounds, and a malfunctioning rear suspension could mean danger while towing.

If I'm SOL do I have any options for upgrading the parts in the aftermarket? I don't really want to lift since it's 2WD, and I'm happy with the way the truck looks as it is but if it would mean I could actually haul the truck's advertised capacity then I could make it work.

2. Jan 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    I think you may be in luck... but what did teh dealer do if they did not do the suspension TSB? ( I would go back to the same dealer and let them know the probelm still exsits and you know there is a TSB out for it.) Print it off and give it to them and ask them to order the correct parts for you.

I would not ask just bring it in and say the wrong parts were installed the the TSB needs to be performed.

3. Jan 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Since they worked on your vehicle before the warranty expired & did not fix the problem. They should still fix it.
    You may have to push it & mention the TSB #.

I had a warranty issue on another vehicle & it failed again after the warranty expired, they fixed it again free of charge.

It never hurts to ask. If the dealer says no. Then go to Toyota & say the dealer didn't fix it the first time. Dealers don't want bad rep with Toyota.

4. Jan 2, 2009 at 5:19 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Back in 2004 I owned a 1991 Acura NSX. It had a TSB that came out in 1992. The car was well past warranty in 2004 when i got it but I tried to get that TSB completed anyway. It took me 4 acura dealerships before I found one that would actually fix it for free. Obviously this car was well beyond warranty.

I guess the moral of the story is if your local dealer wont work with you reach out to other dealerships and maybe they will work with you or as suggested call Toyota corp to suggest they handle it.

5. Jan 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    8th sin

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    Well, I went ahead and called Toyota corporate customer service this evening to plead my case about this TSB. The CSR was very kind and took down all my information and a pretty thorough "statement" from me about what I've been dealing with. I provided him the TSB number and he said that he was able to pull it up. This all took quite some time, but at the end of the phone call he said that ultimately it's up to the dealer to determine whether or not my "symptoms" can be remedied by the TSB or if there is an easier way to fix it. I repeated again, that the TSB clearly states that this is to be performed based on customer complaints. The CSR continued to speak of this as if they were replacing a FAILED part. I tried to make clear that it was instead to remedy a design flaw, and that nothing is technically broken.

His final suggestion was to visit a dealership and speak to the service manager and show him the TSB. I asked if the dealership would have issue with my mileage being out of warranty, and he was not very assuring that they would cover me.

So I'm still at square one. Going to call a service manager tomorrow...sigh

6. Jan 8, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    8th sin

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    I also recieved a reply via email from a compliant I had filed earlier in the week. Their response was almost identical to that of the CSR I spoke with on the phone. TSB's are issued as adendums to the service manual, and are necessarily the best solution for a given problem. Ultimately it's the dealer's decision.

Sounds like all of a sudden Toyota is taking a firm stance on this. In the past I have never had luck getting TSB work (with Mazda). The email also pretty much said I was SOL now that I'm out of warranty.

I'm quite displeased with Toyota right now. I purchased this truck specifically with towing in mind, now I will be forced to go aftermarket if I plan to do any heavy pulling. Too bad....I otherwise love this truck!

Products Discussed in

To Top