1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Struts for a '12 Tailgate.... Any Makers Out There?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by File IFR, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    File IFR

File IFR [OP] "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Hey guys, I was checking out RedLine Tuning looking at the EZ up gas struts for the hood, I thought it would be kinda cool, but what really caught my eye was the EZ Down gas strut to soften the tailgate when opening.
    http://redlinetuning.com/QL-TOY-TACOMA-95+.html

.... That company doesn't make a tailgate strut for the '11 and '12 Tacomas and the tailgate one is all I really want.

Does anyone know if another company makes such an item for the '12 Tacos?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jun 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    As far as I know, the '11 and '12 tailgates are still the same as the '10.

As for the struts themselves, I have heard on here that some people that have them have experienced rubbing issues when closing the gate. That said, the tailgate doesn't weigh anything, so personally I would not have a need for these.

3. Jun 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    I've also seen one at O'Reillys for $30.

4. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know of anyone who got them because the tailgate is heavy. Usually people like having the easy-down action, especially when carrying something to the truck and trying to lower the tailgate with two fingers.

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 4:31 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    This is the product that I have; its the only one I know of. If there are any rubbing issues, cutting a bit of plastic on the tailgate will help. i have information on this in my build thread (oh and btw the think states a hella expensive price; go someonewhere else. but yeah, it was the first thing that come up on google.)

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8644

The problem though, with the EZ down and 09+ trucks are the bolts that need to be removed. On 05-08 trucks they are just regular bolts, but for some 09 trucks and i think all 10+ trucks these bolts are now welded in. which, would be a problem.

6. Jun 27, 2012 at 4:36 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I tried the EZ down on my 05 and did the trim thing but it still was all bound up in there with the cable support being pinched. Fucked with it, it kept fucking with me, decided it wasn't worth the trouble and sold it.

7. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I got the EZ down at O'Reillys for about $30.

Seems to work fine so far. I have had for 6 months.

It does pinch the cable but whatever. I like it.

8. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My tailgate has a really heavy steel plate covering it. I have the easy down struts and they work great. The cable gets pinched a little when it closes but not bad enough to have damaged it.

Can't really give you any info on any of it though since it was all there when I bought the taco.

9. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Im not sure why people are concerend with letting the tailgate drop down on its own weight?

10. Jun 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya, but for me it's the sound slamming down that seems kinda harsh.... I know full well it can take the abuse though.

'Tard, I'm gonna check O'Reilly's site, they don't have a store around the Northeast... I think. :rolleyes:

According to Redline's site, the strut won't work for '11 and '12 tailgates. I would have thought they're all the same (2nd Gens).

Thanks guys

11. Jun 27, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    They are the same. The main reason some websites won't guarantee that their product works on the new models, is because they haven't yet tested it on that model.

12. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    Ahh, I'm just figuring out that now, makes sense .....Auto Anything has 'em.

Thanks Ryan

13. Jul 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    RDtres

RDtres Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DC LB
    I received my combo Hood EZ lift and Tailgate EZ down today. I installed the hood struts no problem. The EZ down however, rubs badly. Even after some grinding and cursing. I still am not happy with it. It pinches the cable severely and just plain isn’t right. I plan to email Redline tomorrow regarding my purchase. Maybe I should mention in have a '12 DCLB and emailed redline prior to purchase to ensure fitment. We'll see

Products Discussed in

To Top