Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma cruise control shut down

Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
streetlightning is on a distinguished road

streetlightning's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma cruise control shut down

I traded in my "worn out" 2011 Tacoma TRD on a 2012 TRD T/X Pro as I could lower my payments and get an updated model. Here's the issue... this is the 4th 4L Tacoma I've owned ('06, '08, '11 & '12) and this one will kill the cruise control towing my empty trailer on the highway. Not even big mountain passes... forget those. Just interstate highway gentle hills. I also noticed that towing an 1800lb trailer to Des Moines a few weeks ago, it spent A LOT of time in 3rd gear on I-80. Maybe its more noticeable than the previous 4.0's because this has the cat back tuned exhaust which is loud, but I've towed that trailer thousands and thousands of miles with better mileage in 4th and 5th gear. The empty flatbed utility trailer is a tandem and probably weighs 1500, but on a hill... forget it... it not only wont hold speed, it kills the cruise. The previous versions might lose a few MPH, but not bad.

So, what's up with this? Anyone know if there's a flash override for this? I had it at the dealer (6500 miles now) and they say its fine. A friend tows a boat with his 2012 Tacoma TRD and has experience the same problem. I got rid of my Cummins BlueTec partly for this reason... its a pain in the butt when you're out on the highway long distance. Any ideas???
Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Sounds like you are just going to have to deal with it.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
RDtres is on a distinguished road
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for this post as I have a similar problem. My 2012 tacoma cruise control shuts down even without towing. The first couple times it did this I thought maybe I had touched the brake pedal but no. Now it's becoming a regular thing. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to the dealer. Warranty work. This thread is all I've seen about any issues with Cruise Control turning off.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
My 2012 does this also. On my 7 hour drive from home up to school it does it about 3 or 4 times, every time I make the drive. Its incredibly annoying. took it to the dealership and they gave me the "we could not replicate the problem". and then preceded to blame me for the problem, they said that it could be that i was going too fast? or that i hit the brake pedal or turned cruse control off.

So dont expect them to do fix it
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Read your manual says not to use cruise towing. That's what they probably will say.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
cruise control solution anyone????????

I'm really looking for a solution for this. My tacoma is a V6 double cab long bed with automatic tranny. I've experienced this problem while NOT towing a load, driving on flat road and on slight incline. I have an appt. with Toyota service this afternoon. So far they've said "I must be tapping the brakes" or "it must be an after market cruise control". Neither is true as I am 100% sure the brakes were not touched and that the truck had cruise control when I drove it off the lot from NEW. This seems to be a common problem among others but there doesn't seem to be a solution. "Just deal with it" is an unacceptable response since cruise control is a feature which partially drove me to make the final decision when purchasing.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I just read the manual for mine if your speed drops 10 MPH below set speed the cruise will drop out and the speed will have to be reset.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
I just read the manual for mine if your speed drops 10 MPH below set speed the cruise will drop out and the speed will have to be reset.
Interesting, ill pay better attention to that next time. Also gives me a starting point to trouble shoot. Thank you.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
■Automatic cruise control cancelation
Cruise control will stop maintaining the vehicle speed in any of the following
situations.

●Actual vehicle speed falls more than approximately 10 mph (16 km/h) below the preset vehicle speed. At this time, the memorized set speed is not retained.

●Actual vehicle speed is below approximately 25 mph (40 km/h).

●VSC is activated.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Also, there have been a couple of reports that were traced to the brake light switch being improperly adjusted and being on a "hair trigger", resulting in the cruise kicking off under normal conditions from a bump in the road.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Camery does the same thing

So I was driving my moms 2000 Camery this past weekend and it has the same <10mph off switch. Interesting that Toyota has empleyed similar cruise control cutoff for over twelve years. You'd think by now the system should downshift as needed to keep within range of the desired cruise control setting. I noticed it'll kick down from OD but won't kick down into 3rd on either my Tacoma or my moms Camery. Silly
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, cruise control on these trucks are seriously outdated. I feel like I'm driving an early 90's vehicle with cruise control.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
It must be the floor mats again.