Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trailer Hitch?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer Hitch?

How different are the rear end of the frames from taco to 4runner? I just found a hitch for dirt cheap for a 2008 4runner and I have a 2005 taco. Are the widths the same that I could weld in the 4 runner hitch?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Just speculating: the 4Runner rear bumper is different. Since the hitch provides structural attachment for the bumper, it's possible the 4Runner hitch will not allow you to mount the Taco's rear bumper without modification.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Just speculating: the 4Runner rear bumper is different. Since the hitch provides structural attachment for the bumper, it's possible the 4Runner hitch will not allow you to mount the Taco's rear bumper without modification.
I was thinking about that as I was just sitting on the shitter. THen I realized what the fuck am I thinking, Im a certified welder and I have scrap 1/4" tube sitting around. hopefully he still has it.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
NRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the rough
NRXTM's Tacoma Gallery
go for it and take pics
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXTM View Post
go for it and take pics
If the fucker will email me back in a timely fashion I will. Need the damn thing by saturday.....
Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
NRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the rough
NRXTM's Tacoma Gallery
so did it work out?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Peanut butter mini time

Nope, dude didn email me till way late thursday and couldn get me the hitch till saturday mid day.... ended up buying it new from Uhaul.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
?? He's talking about mounting a frame-mounted trailer hitch to the frame, not mounting a bumper. Neither attach to the other. The bumpers would only enter into the picture if one simply didn't allow enough clearance for the hitch below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Nope, dude didn email me till way late thursday and couldn get me the hitch till saturday mid day.... ended up buying it new from Uhaul.
Glad you found a solution. If you don't mind me asking, is it the same type of hitch (frame-mounted) and how much did U-Haul charge?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Peanut butter mini time

Yeup, Uhaul's is a frame mounted hitch, comes with all the hardware. Uses the existing frame bolt pattern on the sides and 4 new bolts on the bottom. Also spaced out the frame to bumper links so it comes with spacers for the bumper @ link conneciton since the links are spaced out by the trailer hitch mounts.

Wiring kit is seperate, two options are plug and play for 40 something or universal pinch wire for 20ish. I wanted the plug and play but that you have to order and since I didn have time just used the pinch wire kit.

When it was all done and said with took me 30 minuets for to do it on the driveway and 220 dollars in parts.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
glad it worked out
Old 07-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Peanut butter mini time

The one on craigslist was 75 dollars, so dont know how exactly it worked out in my favor....
Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Peanut butter mini time

Wasn sayin that the cost wasn bad nor the quality, but 75 bucks for the same setup would of been a lot nicer.