Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

The (hopefully) million mile thread.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #41
ripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ripewithdecay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
You at least deserve a REALLY comfortable driver's seat for putting on 5x the yearly mileage that normal people do haha WOW
Haha amen! I have to say, my Tacoma seat is one of the most comfortable out of all the vehicles I've owned. I drive 4 hours or so to my first job and don't have any back pain or anything. It can be hard to find a comfortable seat when you're 6'6, one more reason to just stick with this truck.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #42
ripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shedripewithdecay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well I've hit 385k recently! I think i may need to have some transmission work done soon. Lately when i take off i'm getting some chatter in 1st gear. I'm going to have it checked out by a professional first, but i need a little advice.
I've found a transmission with 16k miles on it for 600$, which sounds pretty reasonable to me. How much should i be looking at as far as labor cost to switch out transmissions? Also, should i just have my old trans rebuilt instead? For some reason i can't see a rebuild being cheaper than 600$, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #43
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Not too sure about the trans but Just subscribing. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #44
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I love that you are hitting 385k miles and are just now worrying about a transmission... All other vehicles on the planet are typically scrap metal at this point.

I just recently had a friend with a GMC Acadia have a transmission rebuilt for much more than $600. I have to imagine that will be the better deal. FYI- the Acadia made it until 68k miles before the trans needed to be rebuilt.

Pulling for you to make your mileage goal
Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #45
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
I love that you are hitting 385k miles and are just now worrying about a transmission... All other vehicles on the planet are typically scrap metal at this point.

I just recently had a friend with a GMC Acadia have a transmission rebuilt for much more than $600. I have to imagine that will be the better deal. FYI- the Acadia made it until 68k miles before the trans needed to be rebuilt.

Pulling for you to make your mileage goal

Hah i know, this vehicle has been so great. Also the trans has either a 6 or 12 month warranty on it which should be plenty of time to make sure its going to work out. (they also cover labor costs up to 45$ an hr if it has to be replaced)

And man 68k miles, thats sad. Toyota knows what they're doing.

Thanks for the support!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #46
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
youll make it bro..more support here for ya
Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #47
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I'd probably go for that separate trans, it might end up being cheaper if you need a full rebuild. Then you could keep your old one and use it for parts or sell it.

Probably want to get quotes and get your transmission diagnosed first. It may be something cheap and a simple fix though.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #48
Saratogian
DefyInertia is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
DefyInertia's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck!

I must ask, why do you drive so much???
Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
I'd probably go for that separate trans, it might end up being cheaper if you need a full rebuild. Then you could keep your old one and use it for parts or sell it.

Probably want to get quotes and get your transmission diagnosed first. It may be something cheap and a simple fix though.
For sure, I'm going to try to get some quotes tomorrow and ill post back what the diagnosis is.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
Good luck!

I must ask, why do you drive so much???
Its pretty much 99% for work. I drive to Bristol area twice a week and up in Kentucky once. I have a propane floor burnisher and i service the tile floors in grocery stores.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #51
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #52
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
If you have found a good tranny with a true 16K, I would forget the rebuild. Tranny rebuilds are one of the worst rip offs around unless you know the rebuilder very well. Usually you get a couple of bearings and seals, and 50K later it's broken again. The tranny with 16K will have new everything. Just make sure there isn't some bad history with it, like being fished out of a flood.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
If you have found a good tranny with a true 16K, I would forget the rebuild. Tranny rebuilds are one of the worst rip offs around unless you know the rebuilder very well. Usually you get a couple of bearings and seals, and 50K later it's broken again. The tranny with 16K will have new everything. Just make sure there isn't some bad history with it, like being fished out of a flood.
Great advice!

Update: I took my truck to the transmission shop and let he mechanic drive it around a bit with me. He said he's not so sure it's even a problem with the transmission. I'm dropping it by on Monday for him to check over a few things he thought it could be. I also asked him if the transmission is the problem, if i should rebuild or replace with a used one. He said honestly we see so few Toyota transmissions in our shop I would definitely recommend a used transmission. He was just making the point that on most domestic vehicles it's a huge risk getting a used one since they really can have a short life span, but not so with a Toyota.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #54
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd, hope your tranny is a easy fix
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #55
Carper87 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Tony
Carper87's Tacoma Gallery
This makes me feel good my 06 only has 58k on it I got a long way to go to catch up
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #56
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
that more than less than a month between oil changes?!

great job OP. way to keep it together.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #58
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd Damn!

Brett
Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #59
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #60
shawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Shawn
shawnd2's Tacoma Gallery
Keep us updated!

Shawn.