Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bed tie downs

Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #21
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Ok, I thought I was loosing my mind. I was about to go down stairs and stand in the bed of my truck just to make sure that I wasn't crazy...

...I'm still not sure that I'm not crazy.
Nah man your not going crazy, here is a pic of my old D-Cab with my bike in the back.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #22
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Nah man your not going crazy, here is a pic of my old D-Cab with my bike in the back.

I am glad that I am not the only one that built a ramp using the 2x6 kit from Sears/Autozone. I used that for years and then sold it with my last bike. Nice looking DC, BTW.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #23
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
thats what i meant by my ? before. i think i am going to do the same thing.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #24
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
I think (since you have the short bed) that will work out to be the best option for you.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #25
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am glad that I am not the only one that built a ramp using the 2x6 kit from Sears/Autozone. I used that for years and then sold it with my last bike. Nice looking DC, BTW.
Yep but unfortunately I no longer own all three. Traded the truck in last September for my X-Runner, The bike and the 2 x10 ramps I sold in July.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #26

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
I have other pics of my setup on my old truck shoot me a pm if you want to see more. I dont wanna clog up TCBOB's awesome site with pic's of a truck I no longer own.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #27
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandie View Post
i installed the toyota d-rings in the same place you did, maverick, and i've had no troubles hauling my bikes to and fro. nice pics! those are bound to help someone else down the road
Thanks for the compliment, I am here to help.

Quote:
Adam,

Those tie downs look great. I think that mounting is perfect for what I need (something lower than the track tie-downs). I think that I will be doing this next pay check. It seems easy enough to do.

Thanks for sharing!
Mark,

You're welcome, you are right it is pretty straightforward, and it is absolutely necessary to have something lower than the rail system. Toyota should have put them in from the factory. Just make sure to get your wife or someone to come out and hold the plates square while you tighten the bolts, or take LRH's advice and use the 3m spray adhesive. I doubt that you will, but should you run into any problems or need a clearer picture of something let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
I would think even the larger bike would be fine. Though a bike may weigh 800 lbs, it doesn't take 120lbs of force to hold a bike upright. If it did only the largest of folks could ever hope to successfully ride one, let alone lift a tiped over bike. I've lifted my 700 lbs bike after a tip over by myself using just the handlebars. It might be a 100lbs lift from the ground but once it's up, very little force is needed to keep it upright. As long as you tie down both sides to the truck, it should be fine. Just to be safe though, I'd recommend a bike chock for the front wheel.
This is probably a correct statement, though an Ultra Classic, or simmilarly heavy bike would likely cause the failure of the un-reinforced tailgates mentioned in other threads. Also, the only reason that I advised against using this system for heavy bikes is that I am overly cautious with my bike, and even in the trailer, I have a ratchet strap at all 4 corners, plus a set of cam-lock straps at all four corners as well. In the un-likely event that any strap should fail then I still have a back-up. I also check the straps every time I stop for fuel or lunch when I am trailering my bike as well. Call me paranoid, but I suspect it is because I have more money tied up in custom paint on the bike, than it cost when it was new.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #29
wrxed96 is on a distinguished road
wrxed96's Tacoma Gallery
I think I am learning to trust the bed rails. I have had my GSXR 750 in there for a 1k trip with no issues. I thought I needed to add some tie downs, turns out those engineers know what they are doing. Who would have thought.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #30

just dont trust the roof racks to much. i put my canoe up there this last weekend. and the front one pretty much kinked. it looked like it was going to snap off if i went over a bump. I had to cut down a 2x4 and rest the canoe on top of that.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 AM   #31

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
Is the bolt in the bed a torx? If so, what size? I plan to add a couple D-rings this weekend.
If my memory servers me correctly the bed bolts are t-55 and the d-rings in the back of the bed are t-45's. I got my torxs from sears.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #32
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
I installed an extra set of d-rings in the front of the bed today. Thanks Homer - the bed bolts are in fact T-55. One of the bed bolts came out very easily. The other one was a real pain in the A.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #33

hey where did you get those bolts. and do they swivel?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #34
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
You can order an extra set of d-rings from Toyota. They come with a metal backing plate to install them through the plastic bed. However some of us simply install them under the existing bolts in the bed that hold the bed to the frame. This way they are about as strong as you can get. The down side to doing it this way is that they do not swivel. To me that is no big deal.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #35
Land of Oz

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Just to be clear...if you mount them as they come, with the metal backing plate they do swivel just like the ones that come in the back of the bed. They look identical. I can post pictures if you want. I believe there are pictures on the site already if you look hard enough...
Old 09-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #36

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
I installed an extra set of d-rings in the front of the bed today. Thanks Homer - the bed bolts are in fact T-55. One of the bed bolts came out very easily. The other one was a real pain in the A.
NO problem man that what this place is all about, helping each other out.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #37
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I pulled out the bed bolts for mine too. Nothing less than an impact wrench and torx bit for the wrench would get them out. But at least I know those suckers aren't going anywhere!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #38
budisit is on a distinguished road
Name: Buddy
budisit's Tacoma Gallery
Why won't the D-rings swivel when using the bed mounting bolts ? Could the D-ring attachment hole be drilled out larger in order to get the swivel back on ??
Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #39
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
if you look back up at 007tacoma's pictures, you can see that on both sides right on top of the wheel wells, there is a little recessed area. i assume that is where a toolbox would rest if you got one. as i do not plan to get one, they make a great mounting area...they are very easy to reach when installing, they are protected because of their lowered position , and you can tie down quite a load with that angle.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #40
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post

Is it me?...Or does your rear left tire lean out 2wards the top?...Or is it a slanted driveway with the weight of your bike that does that?