Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bed tie downs

Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #41
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by budisit View Post
Why won't the D-rings swivel when using the bed mounting bolts ? Could the D-ring attachment hole be drilled out larger in order to get the swivel back on ??
Because the bolts hold the d-ring tight. If you had a bolt that stopped, say, 1/4" before the head touched the bed then it could swivel. Then again, these bolts hold the bed down so if they aren't tight the bed would rattle and move a little.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #42
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
Or with a much heavier motorcycle in a short (5ft.) bed, was thinking to put a slab of plywood in bed out to end of tailgate (distribute load of heavy rear), then screw down a couple blocks of wood onto the plywood to chock a motorcycles front wheel ....

all this and I don't even own a Tacoma. Gonna be at least 6 months or more before I take the plunge.

Sounds like the movable cleats are ok for a sport bike.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #43
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledrum View Post
Sounds like the movable cleats are ok for a sport bike.
NO!!

Ok, sorry to yell, but one guy did that and the cleat broke. Handle bar punched through the bed so not only did he have to replace the bed, but he also had to fix the bike.

I just wouldn't do it! Use D-Rings so you don't risk damaging the bike AND truck.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #44
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
Maverick, what type of bed you have. I ordered the exact same tiedowns as you and am prepared to install them. When I went to measure for the holes I realized that, 1. I cant even get to the bottom of the bed on the drivers side, the fuel tank is in the way, and 2. the measurement on the passenger side won't work, the 1.25 inches is too far over and .25 is too far down. I have a double cab, short bed. I noticed you have an access cab and I assume its a long bed. Any info?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #45
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKADE View Post
Maverick, what type of bed you have. I ordered the exact same tiedowns as you and am prepared to install them. When I went to measure for the holes I realized that, 1. I cant even get to the bottom of the bed on the drivers side, the fuel tank is in the way, and 2. the measurement on the passenger side won't work, the 1.25 inches is too far over and .25 is too far down. I have a double cab, short bed. I noticed you have an access cab and I assume its a long bed. Any info?
Yeah, I have an access cab long bed. I actually didn't even think about the two bed configurations being different on the underside. Best guess would be to go with the mounting instructions that came with the tie-downs, and put them as low ans as forward as you can in the sides of the bed.

Sorry for the confusion, and I'll edite the original post when I get a chance to avoid further confusion in the future.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #46
RCNG FAN is on a distinguished road

RCNG FAN's Tacoma Gallery
I tie down a KTM 300 dirt bike in the back of my Tacoma. I do not trust the cleats, so I got some extra Toyota D-rings and mounted them under the front bolts that hold the bed directly to the frame. Very secure.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Yeah, I have an access cab long bed. I actually didn't even think about the two bed configurations being different on the underside. Best guess would be to go with the mounting instructions that came with the tie-downs, and put them as low ans as forward as you can in the sides of the bed.

Sorry for the confusion, and I'll edite the original post when I get a chance to avoid further confusion in the future.

Don't worry about it, I just thought that I would make that fact known. I'm going to get up under there Friday, so I'll let you all know what I decide to do.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNG FAN View Post
I tie down a KTM 300 dirt bike in the back of my Tacoma. I do not trust the cleats, so I got some extra Toyota D-rings and mounted them under the front bolts that hold the bed directly to the frame. Very secure.
I would, but I want the pivot ability, and I don't own a hex bit that big.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #49
budisit is on a distinguished road
Name: Buddy
budisit's Tacoma Gallery
tie downs

If you bolt the d-rings under the bed bolts they will not spin. So how do you decide which direction you want them to be since they will not turn.

I'm going to bolt my d-ring under the bed bolts. And I'm thinking about pointing them about a 45 degree. Like from corner to corner.

BUDDY
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #51

Quote:
If you bolt the d-rings under the bed bolts they will not spin. So how do you decide which direction you want them to be since they will not turn.

I'm going to bolt my d-ring under the bed bolts. And I'm thinking about pointing them about a 45 degree. Like from corner to corner.

BUDDY

I only tie down one thing with those front rings....... motorcycles.

Thus, I know how I want them.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #52
budisit is on a distinguished road
Name: Buddy
budisit's Tacoma Gallery
Whoda thought U could have a 3 page chat about d-rings.....
Old 05-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #53
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
cant you just remove the star bolt and washer holding the bed down. and add a d ring under that. atleast that is attached to the frame.
That's what I did with mine. I've got another set that are going on the middle bed bolts. I've put several different bikes in the back with no problems. You can use the side rail D-rings but you can't tighten them very much before you start to see them bending toward the strap.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #54
Devout Atheist

Quote:

BUDDY
The way mine are it doesn't really matter. I can still get a ratchet strap hook through them. I've never needed them to, or wish they could, swivel.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #55
RCNG FAN You didn't cut your washer like most people do, does the D-ring still swivel?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #56
I got up under there today and there is almost no way I can get to the Drivers side of the bed from underneath. I think my only option is to go with the suggested location on the wheel well. I don't have a T45, or T50 or whatever size that bed bolt is.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #57
Devout Atheist

Quote:
I got up under there today and there is almost no way I can get to the Drivers side of the bed from underneath. I think my only option is to go with the suggested location on the wheel well. I don't have a T45, or T50 or whatever size that bed bolt is.
I didn't have one either! I just picked up a single bit for a socket wrench, and ended up putting it on my impact wrench to get them out. Bit was only a couple bucks at a tractor supply store IIRC.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #58
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I didn't have one either! I just picked up a single bit for a socket wrench, and ended up putting it on my impact wrench to get them out. Bit was only a couple bucks at a tractor supply store IIRC.
is it a t45 or t50?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #60

Quote:
RCNG FAN You didn't cut your washer like most people do, does the D-ring still swivel?

That would take a VERY special Torx bolt that would tighten down BELOW the D-ring in order to allow the ring to swivel above it. I don't think anyone makes one for this specific purpose.