Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Doug Thorley LT header install on 2012 Tacoma issues

Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Scrotie McBoogerballs
armyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rough

armyoffoo's Tacoma Gallery
Doug Thorley LT header install on 2012 Tacoma issues

I received new DTLT headers for my 2012 Tacoma but have an issue. The manifold studs on the top are too long for the DTLT header flange to be held on by the nut. Has anyone else had this issue with their install? For now I will tighten the lower nuts and use washers on top to fill the space up to the threads. Maybe I am missing pieces?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Scrotie McBoogerballs
armyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rough

Installed the passenger side with only the bottom nuts on, was planning on spacing out the top nuts with washers but the air injection tube is in the way. No way to secure the top unless I put the nut on and tighten it against the tube, which I'm not going to do. Oh well, hours down the drain and I still have to put the stock back on

Old 06-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Scrotie McBoogerballs

I replaced the top 3 studs with shorter studs that I got from AutoZone. They are a little longer than the bottom studes, but they work!! Passenger side is done, on to the driver's side.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I was going to say to order some ARP stubs.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Nice of them to tell you that.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Scrotie McBoogerballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
You probably bought the older set of headers made for the 05-11s
http://www.urdusa.com/Exhaust-&-Head...duct_info.html

These are the ones you need
http://www.urdusa.com/Exhaust-&-Head...duct_info.html

Those are the ones I bought, THY-517-LS-C. Waited two months for them.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Scrotie McBoogerballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Hmm sounds like the new ones for the 2012s aren't designed correctly then
I wouldn't say that, they fit great once you swap out the studs. Everything lines up nice with the collectors and air injection system and whatnot. Just definitely not a easy swap like they were on my 2006. It would have been nice if they included replacement studs or at least documented that replacing the studs would be necessary.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Orion78717 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
Orion78717's Tacoma Gallery
Doug Thorley install on 2012 Tacoma

I just received my Doug Thorley headers for my 2012 Tacoma. Could you please tell me what size the manifold bolts were that you had to replace? I obviously need to get those before the install. These forums are great for this type of information.
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I need to know what size studs i need also. I just ordered some headers as a bday gift.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
ezemanf is on a distinguished road

Name: EZ
ezemanf's Tacoma Gallery
Please Help with header bolt size!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyoffoo View Post
I replaced the top 3 studs with shorter studs that I got from AutoZone. They are a little longer than the bottom studes, but they work!! Passenger side is done, on to the driver's side.

Do you remember what size the Header bolts you used are. I am going through the same problem with my 2012 Tacoma.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezemanf View Post
Do you remember what size the Header bolts you used are. I am going through the same problem with my 2012 Tacoma.
I (well, my mechanic technically) didn't go the shorter stud route for the DTLT's on my '13.

We left the bottom studs in tact and replaced the top studs with high grade bolts and lock washers from HD. Once you yank out the top studs using a Torx socket, you can figure out just what length you'll need for bolts.

...or shorter studs will work just as well.

The air pump rails are a dead giveaway that you have the proper headers built for 2012+ Tacomas.

Fitment was REALLY good once you get the headers mounted. Everything lines up beautifully: nice and flush with the heads and the y-pipe flanges line up spot on.

Wish Thorley would throw in that last 5% effort and either include replacement bolts & lock washers -or- shorter studs for the tops of these headers. Hell, even disclosing "you will need xxxxx hardware for the top of these manifolds" in their instructions would help.

Thorley makes a great product, they just half ass on the details. *sigh*
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
Professional Grease Monkey
JustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Maintenance
Name: J
JustAddMud's Tacoma Gallery
I swapped out my stock headers for the long tubes a while back. The way I handled the long stud issue was to swap out the longer studs with bolts:
  • 6, M8-1.25 x 30 bolts
  • 6, 8mm lock washers
  • 6, 8mm flat washers
Ive since put about 5k miles or so with no issues. I put the lock washer on first, followed by the flat washer.

-J

Shameless plug of my 2012 DTLT install guide >.<
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-install.html
Old 08-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #13

ezemanf's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Thanks

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the quick responce. I called DT to get the header bolt size and ordered them through Fastenal. They will finally be in Monday. At least I know now that I can used regular bolts with washers if the bolts I ordered do not fit. Can't wait until the DTLT's are finally installed after a long 7 days of waiting...
Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #14

ezemanf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLL WILL View Post
I (well, my mechanic technically) didn't go the shorter stud route for the DTLT's on my '13.

We left the bottom studs in tact and replaced the top studs with high grade bolts and lock washers from HD. Once you yank out the top studs using a Torx socket, you can figure out just what length you'll need for bolts.

...or shorter studs will work just as well.

The air pump rails are a dead giveaway that you have the proper headers built for 2012+ Tacomas.

Fitment was REALLY good once you get the headers mounted. Everything lines up beautifully: nice and flush with the heads and the y-pipe flanges line up spot on.

Wish Thorley would throw in that last 5% effort and either include replacement bolts & lock washers -or- shorter studs for the tops of these headers. Hell, even disclosing "you will need xxxxx hardware for the top of these manifolds" in their instructions would help.

Thorley makes a great product, they just half ass on the details. *sigh*

I agree Matt. With the money we pay for the headers, DT should provide complete instructions stating that there are extra hardware not included with the package.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
I am sorry to hear you received a set of headers that were miss packaged by Doug Thorley.

There are supposed to be 6 new bolts to replace the upper studs, but it seems a few have gotten out there were miss packaged by DT.

G
Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I got my shorty headers with all new bolts.. But you cant use the supplyed bolts on the top because there's no way in hell you can thread and tighten the bolts down.
The best thing to do is use there new supplyed bolts on the bottom and move the shorter studs (the bottom studs) to the top. It works perfectly!

DT really screwed up on the 12-13 shorty headers. They didnt line up at all with cats. And were you you have to cut the old headers off is different than previous years. I had to do some custom fab work in order to make them work..
Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezemanf View Post
I agree Matt. With the money we pay for the headers, DT should provide complete instructions stating that there are extra hardware not included with the package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETaco23 View Post
I got my shorty headers with all new bolts.. But you cant use the supplyed bolts on the top because there's no way in hell you can thread and tighten the bolts down.
The best thing to do is use there new supplyed bolts on the bottom and move the shorter studs (the bottom studs) to the top. It works perfectly!

DT really screwed up on the 12-13 shorty headers. They didnt line up at all with cats. And were you you have to cut the old headers off is different than previous years. I had to do some custom fab work in order to make them work..
As much as I want to believe DT has sent out a few "mispackaged" headers out with missing hardware, my own experience tells me otherwise. It's either they don't really care to fix the mispackaged headers or they need to spend more time getting a cohesive package out to the customer. No one wants to pay for an incomplete product.

My experience(dealing with DT '12-'13 headers)

I initially ordered '12-'13 short tube DT's directly from Thorley headquarters in Corona, CA via phone order. PRIOR to finalizing my order I asked if they came with bungs welded and the guy checks the "hardware supplied" and says: "looks like they're not listed so they SHOULD BE welded on."

Got them 2 days later, no bungs welded on...not even bungs packed loose! Called DT headquarters to ask why weren't there bungs welded on, and this gentleman said "hmm we SHOULD HAVE sent them loose with the headers." So I ask him "So which is it? Shouldve been welded on or sent loose??!" He hmmms for a few seconds then asks for my number so he can "consult with his engineers" and call me back first thing next morning. I didn't get a call back so I guess we'll never know seeing as I got 2 different answers from the manufacturer directly.

After mulling it over, I decided to return the short tube headers and go with long tube DT headers instead. I just couldn't justify professional installation costs of shorties.

Ordered the DTLT's this time via URD website. I get them, and replacement hardware for the top studs were NOT included(as Gadget noted above they should have been). Again, missing hardware from DT---twice now. I couldn't wait any longer so I decided to grab the hardware myself @ Home Depot.

It appears to me that there is still half assing or negligence going on at DT's packaging/development department, but either way I was not happy with the lack of hardware from the same manufacturer in both of my orders.

Like I stated before...great product, but isn't always 100% ready to go when it lands at the customer's door.

2012+ Tacoma owners, heads up.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #18

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, my bungs werent in the package either... I just got a local exhaust shop to sell me the bungs and drilll out for them. I did all the welding myself..
Old 08-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
blm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blm's Tacoma Gallery
Think if I was going to the trouble of replacing the studs I would replace them with the header locking bolts instead of the studs. A common problem with headers is frequent loosening/leaking at the junction of the header and the engine block. locking bolts prevent this. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #20

ezemanf's Tacoma Gallery
Finally the installation is complete!

Finally got the DTLT's installed today. Sounds good until you hit the higher Rpm's then it gets very raspy. Guess I will have to purchase a resonator and hopefully that will ease the rasp a bit. Overall satisfied with the gains I received and the deep sound the system provides