1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much is too much for the stock alternator?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vwgtiturbo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jul 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    vwgtiturbo

vwgtiturbo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    California
    Hello there, I have an '05 Taco with the V6 and tow package. I recently decided to install an aftermarket stereo, with a 400W amp for the speakers, and a separate 400W amp for a sub. One thing I neglected to consider was the amount of power required, and whether or not the stock alternator will be able to cope with the increased current draw.

Is there any guidance for how much leeway there is with the stock alternator, or will I just have to find out after connecting the two amps and going through a couple of dead batteries?

Thanks for any insight!

2. Jul 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    Nick82

Nick82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Richmond ky
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB MGM 4x4 sport tow nav
    ARB winch bumper
    So far with what you have listed you are no where near your alternators max. With a 130 amp alt it would take a ton of stuff to overload. Most poeople with lots of high amp apps. need a second battery for spike amps but not more total amps being produced.

3. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    vwgtiturbo

vwgtiturbo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    California
    Thanks for the info. I haven't done any car audio for years, and I wasn't sure what the stock alternator was capable of. After seeing many posts about upgrading the big three,I started to worry... Lol

Products Discussed in

To Top