Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

synthetic vs. regular oil

Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Pancho24 is on a distinguished road
Pancho24's Tacoma Gallery
synthetic vs. regular oil

wondering what the guys with the v6 engines use and why. Feel any difference or better performance?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Holyfather is on a distinguished road
Holyfather's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 07-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
In typing in 'synthetic vs. regular oil' in search, there are at least 13 threads on the first page...try reading those, they have plenty of info...
Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a decent thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...hetic-oil.html
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
graywolf2011 is on a distinguished road
graywolf2011's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
I like using synthetic oil in my 4.0L V6. I extended my personal oil change intervals to 5,000 miles. I originally changed out the "regular" oil at 1,000 miles, so my mpg figures aren't relavent. You pay more for synthetic, but you go farther between changes.

Whatever you decide to run in your truck, just keep clean oil in the engine and you'll be A-OK.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardscrabble View Post
I like using synthetic oil in my 4.0L V6. I extended my personal oil change intervals to 5,000 miles. I originally changed out the "regular" oil at 1,000 miles, so my mpg figures aren't relavent. You pay more for synthetic, but you go farther between changes.

Whatever you decide to run in your truck, just keep clean oil in the engine and you'll be A-OK.
Woah... Really? You change your oil really often. I would be doing oil changes twice a month if I did it every 1000 miles .

I use Royal Purple with either a Royal Purple oil filter or at the moment right meow it has TRD filter... I change it every 7000 Miles.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post
Woah... Really? You change your oil really often. I would be doing oil changes twice a month if I did it every 1000 miles .

I use Royal Purple with either a Royal Purple oil filter or at the moment right meow it has TRD filter... I change it every 7000 Miles.

Extremely dusty conditions warrant more oil changes. Not 1k oil changes, but faster all the same. I have no clue why one would change oil at 1k, but I can say if you NEED to change at 1k something is seriously lacking with the trucks set up.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
billygoat is on a distinguished road
billygoat's Tacoma Gallery
The purpose of synthetic oil is not to improve power or torque. Synthetic oils lubricate better, and that is what they are designed to do. They provide better shear resistance and superior lubrication over a wider range of temperatures. AKA if you drive in the snow, extremely hot weather, or tow, you should run synthetics for that reason alone. A normal stock engine does not require synthetic, but will last longer if you run synthetic. Yes, you might pick up a single HP or two, but really you should run synthetics because your engine will last longer and it will be cheaper when you extend the change intervals.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed mine from conventional to synthetic at 91K, not because I think that conventional didn't do it's job, but because I think synthetic will do even better and with higher mileage it's worth the extra few dollars.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I used regular oil until the truck was out of the 60k mile warranty period then switched to Mobil 1. I extended my oil change interval to 7,500 miles (will still change at 5k miles if I'm towing or hauling frequently) but did not notice any changes in the truck at all.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Please, read some of the other 100s of posts about syn or conv. This topic is covered on every forum I've ever looked at in more than great detail.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
I use synthetic BECAUSE I am LAZY-do not need to change as often.
Costs are about the same if you figure in the mileage.