1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to wire bed lamps:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jefferson, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    santacruzer

santacruzer Active Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Those white plugs you see are the connections to the dome light and the center brake light on the shell. It bugs me to no end that they're exposed this way! This is the first Tacoma where I have a chance to hide them, though, since there's that composite liner that I didn't have in previous vehicles. Have to give this some thought...

2. Jan 6, 2009 at 4:35 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    FYI, it's not a liner. It's a composite bed. So if you're thinking of just tucking the connector behind a "liner", forget about it. Unless you want to cut a hole in the bed to stuff it in.

3. Jan 6, 2009 at 4:40 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    good write-up. It will be my template for when I do something similar.. :D

4. Jan 6, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    santacruzer

santacruzer Active Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    pt,

Good point. I misspoke. I know it's a composite bed, but the sidewalls in a sense act as liners, compared to my older trucks. There's a lot of space between the fender wall and bed wall.

I'm being pretty careful about drilling holes in that sidewall, also, especially close to existing mounting points. I don't know exactly what that material is, but I'm pretty sure it can be susceptible to stress fractures.

After drilling the hole for the 12v receptacle, I noted the cut edge was just slightly "frayed", for lack of a better word at the moment. Like drilling a hole in fiberglass. I've had enough experience with sailboats to know that over time those rough edges can feather and begin to flake apart. I'm going to look into what kind of epoxy would give those drilled edges a good, hard finish.

Much as I'd like to hide the plugs, I'll probably just live with them. I have the shell lifted off every year and have the seals redone, having the plugs hidden just complicates that for the guys who do it.

5. Jan 7, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    jefferson

jefferson [OP] needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    cool stuff santacruzer - i was just up in your neck of the woods over christmas in Aptos. My grandfather has a place right on the cliff with a 180* view of the ocean.. rough life man.

Thanks for showing a better area to pick up the hot lead. When i do it i'll update my original post and give credit of course.

6. Jan 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    cankel

cankel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma White DC SB TRD-Off Road 4x4
    ARB Bumper , spacer lift, kumho A/T, TRD Sport Hood
    finally someone puts those useless holes to work.. great idea man thanks. Im going to try that out tomorrow

7. Jan 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    ooo neat, thanks - show me pics when youre done

8. Jan 23, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    DesmoBob

DesmoBob Active Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    lol I love HF too.

How wide is the spread on these lights? I was thinking about about getting these exact lights for reverse flood lights. I sometimes have to back up near a wall at night, and really need more light back there.

9. Jan 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    they seem pretty wide. Of course i'm limited to whats in the bed.. but they look pretty good. and for $11, you can't go wrong

10. Jan 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    DesmoBob

DesmoBob Active Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I just looked at their website and it looks like they even lowered the price to $10. :)

11. Jan 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    ooo shit you BETTER jump on that!!

12. Feb 9, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Nice write-up man, I just picked up a set of these lights. I am hoping to get install this weekend. :thumbsup:

13. Feb 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Awesome! I had a lot of trouble with the grounding wires from this lighting kit. ALSO make sure and tape everything up.. the connectors dont hold themselves very well. Make sure we see pictures!

14. Feb 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    mycoma

mycoma Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for the write up, I will be doing this soon! How can we wire this up with 2 switches, one inside the dash and one in the bed? can someone provide a wiring diagram to be able to switch the light on and off from 2 positions?? Thanks!

15. Feb 24, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I'm "working" on it lately (meaning I NEED to work on it...) but the way i've got it in my head is the same way a house with a room with two doors and two switches would have it.. where you could enter one way, switch the light on, and as you leave through the other door, switch the light off.. i'm terrible with wiring for the most part, but once i get a spare weekend i'm going to mess with it..

16. Feb 24, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

Why not just do a wireless remote? One came with my bed light kit since it was an underbody kit, but you can buy wireless switches for $20 or so at Autozone. Less wiring, and you can turn them on from inside or outside the truck, and turn them off the same way. I use mine to turn them on as I approach the truck to see whats under it or in the bed before I get to it. Oh, and it also means no fumbling in a dark bed for a switch.

17. Feb 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    sliverworm

sliverworm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    One thing I didn't get and probably sounds pretty dumb is. Did you run the wire from the passenger side to the switch under the plastic in the bed, or under the whole bed itself?

18. Feb 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

dan if ya ever need help doin anything, im not far away:cool:

19. Feb 26, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Not under the pastic in the bed becuase it would end up fraying from pressure and movement and whatnot.. i ran it under the bed along a frame rail nearby the spare tire. I didnt even use any zip ties (wasnt needed), just ran it close to the underside of the bed. It will be obvious once you get to that stage.

20. Feb 26, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    sliverworm

sliverworm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    Gotcha, thanks. I might do this sometime soon..

Products Discussed in

To Top