1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's it worth? 2005 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kcclax22, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    kcclax22

kcclax22 [OP] Member

Member:
    Upstate,NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    I've made attempts at trying to sell my truck locally and just feel that I'm getting low balled. I know the resale on these trucks is better than most so I'm holding out for the right offer. I know KBB and NADA are available to gauge the prices of vehicles but they are around $2k difference in each category( trade in, clean, retail. etc..). I just wanted to get opinions of other tacoma owners on what the value may be.

The truck is a 2005 Tacoma SR5, access cab, auto, 4wd. black sand pearl, pretty much stock truck with 144,000 miles. With BFG KO's, that have 80,000 miles them and are needing to be replaced. No major cosmetic issues, some scratches and scuffs but no dents. Westin stainless running boards, leather tonneau cover, rubber bed mat. I hit a deer and they replaced grill, bumper, headlights, fog lights, and one fender, probably around $3k with labor and parts. I was asking 11k and just wanted to know if I was being unrealistic in my asking price. I know people are gonna say it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, and I realize that but i just want to know if I'm close. Thanks

truck.jpg

2. Jul 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    just so you have an idea i just bought my 2005 pre runner DC TRD OR package 70k miles no accidents, very nice condition for 15500 + ttl. This is in Houston texas and i bought it form a dealer that had it listed for 17999 + ttl. ALos, another reference, i traded my 05 TRD OR pkg. prerunner DC 3 years ago @ 79k miles mint condition and i got 15000 for it. Hope this helps.

3. Jul 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Pretty sure you've managed to push it a bit asking $11k for a privately sold vehicle.. especially with almost 150k in mileage. I checked a couple dealers in NY (Johnston Toyota for one) and their used stock.. they're asking $19500 for a 2007 with 79K.. considering it's a dealer, they'll probably go around $13-14.5 if it's the right person... private sales can't compete because you don't offer a warranty.. etc. :)

People will argue down the price because of tires ($800-1000, is what is usually bitched about), whether or not the interior is clean, if you have records of how well kept it was mechanically and the collision damage is going to hurt you in resale.
    My guess... $8-9k.. sold.. ask $10,000 OBO and let them come down to your selling point.

How much do you still owe, or have invested?

4. Jul 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    kcclax22

kcclax22 [OP] Member

Member:
    Upstate,NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    I appreciate the input, it was just hard to gauge an asking price when you see some of the astronomical prices people are asking on ebay and dealerships. I just didn't know where my rig would fall in line as far as price. I guess another question for you would be, are dealerships willing to deal that much on the price in regards to the tacoma you used as an example. That's $5k.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jul 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    i think 11k is a pretty reasonable asking point, but you'll prob need to be negotiable, because I would think that price is on the lower end of 2nd gen's esp 4x4 but for most of us, no matter what u ask they're always gonna try to get a bargain. Even if u asked 15, someone will offer u 10,500 and think they got a steal, glws anyway

6. Jul 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    stowayman

stowayman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD O/R - Debadged
    Kenwood DNX9980HD Nav - BT - Sirius - backup camera, Weathertech digifits, maglite mod, 14" billet antenna
    Your truck would sell quick for that price out here.... CA trucks don't have rust though

7. Jul 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I bought for KBB "fair" private party value. The truck was in "good" condition I would say. I bought from a broker.

8. Jul 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Depends on how much of a creep you can be compared to the stealership salesman(woman)..
    Whats funny is a dealer will only offer you 2-3K for the truck.. then resell it for $15k... who's ripping who off here? lol

9. Jul 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    kcclax22

kcclax22 [OP] Member

Member:
    Upstate,NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Just wanted to update the the thread and let people know that I sold the truck. I had it at $11k initially and then dropped it to $10.5k, knowing that I might not get that I had someone interested and they offered $9,500, I thought about it for a few days and I took them up on it. After the input from guys on here I was comfortable with selling it at that price. A few days later I went out and got a 2008 Tacoma, DC, LB, white with 53,000 miles, paid 21000 from the stealership.

Products Discussed in

To Top