1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another tail gate question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by A.D., Jan 4, 2009.

1. Jan 4, 2009 at 2:28 AM
    A.D.

A.D. [OP] Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    hello all,
    I am new to the forum, but have been a lurker for awhile, and finally had a need to ask something i was not able to get the answer for myself. The tail gate problem, where does this usually happen? Like, in the center of the gate, the sides, or anywhere weight is put on it? I have come across a really good deal on a quad, and i have measured it out, there will be very minimal weight put on the gate for extended periods of time, since the quad will fit in between the fender wells and be able to sit far enough forward to barely sit on the gate, so basically i am asking if i should beef up the gate even though i will only be putting weight on it when it goes in and out of the bed? Sorry for the rambling, and thanks in advance.

2. Jan 4, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    Drew793

Drew793 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road V6 Auto
    Weather Tech window shades, Roll-N-Lock cover with cargo manager, Led interior bed lights, EZ down tailgate strut, SpiderTrax1.25" wheel spacers, tinted windows, second filter removed, Grillcraft Mesh upper and lower grill, Castrol Syntec.
    A.D. you could also remove the tailgate when loading/unloading the quad.

3. Jan 4, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    A.D.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Yes, i hadn't thought about that, i know the gate comes off really easy, i actually just might do that. But as far as riding with the quad back there for a long drive? I know there will be a small patch where the rear tires will be sitting on the gate, but this is really the lightest part of the quad, so i don't know if i wanna get into the gate and mod it if i don't need to. Any Quad guys in here having problems with their quads sitting on their gates? Oh yes, i own a DC, do any DC owners input would be greatly appreciated.

4. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    bluecluee

bluecluee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD OR Timberland Mica
    5100's Set at 1.75
    Short bed or long?

5. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I have a short bed DC, havent had any issues with the tailgate. The way the quad fits i seriously doubt this will occur

6. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Adding to the last post.... i have mobbed the CRAP out of my truck in the dunes / desert...i have pushed the truck to the limit with the quad in the back - no issues. the rear wheels of the quad are near the bottom of the tailgate and the weight is distributed evenly. Also, loading & unloading I havent had any issues. me and a buddy usually grab the front wheels, set it on tailgate, then lift the back in

7. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    A.D.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Good to hear, I have a DC and was hoping that the rear wheels wouldn't be a problem on the gate. I have had trucks before and my quads have never been an issue, i've even strapped them down to the gate before, but never in my Tacoma, and have read about some tailgate issues with other Tacomas, so i thought i would check on it. Nice to hear that another SoCal Tacoma guy is enjoying some ATV action though, most of the peeps i know do the MotoCross bikes. Oh and i love the dunes too!! Plan on heading to Dumont shortly after picking up the quad, just need to get some paddles for her and i'll be there.

8. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I have a DC shortbed also, and was thinking about adding something to the tailgate also to beef it up. At 250 and in full gear I have stood in the middle of the tailgate, and it only made noises..
    I like the Alum. mods that were done, may go that route but change the color.

9. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    It shouldnt be an issue on the gate. I think more of the problems come from dirtbikes where you've got all the weight on one wheel in one spot - thats where a lot of the problems are coming from. with the quad in there, i am even able to lift the gate a couple inches - thats how far forward the rear tires sit, depending on the quad.

I try to get to the dunes as much as possible its just hard because the closest place for me is pismo and its almost 3 hrs away. I was just there over new years tho, it was fun. I havent been to dumont since i was a little kid with the fam, i've been meaning to go there again. My usual spots are glamis & pismo.

10. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I have a DC SB and have had a 4-wheeler in there a few times. Never had the TSB done or ever had any troubles while packing it around. It was only a few times though so it's not a daily or weekly thing for me. I was borrowing it more like it!:D

11. Jan 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Maybe throw a piece of plywood on the tailgate somehow? That would distribute the weight more evenly.

12. Jan 4, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    A.D.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    i got a pretty good idea of what i am gonna do, not sure if i need to, but ima do it anyway. I'll post pics when i am done though.

13. Jan 4, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    carolinyens

carolinyens Creedmoor Connections

Member:
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    TRD CAI, TRD SS, Toyota All Weather Mats, Eagle Eye Halos, NST Crankshaft Pulley, ScanGauge II, TRD Shiftball, TRD SeatCovers, WeatherTech Vent Visors, 20% tint, DTLT's and NST pulley combo.
  14. Jan 6, 2009 at 12:30 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I have a DC short bed, I have hauled my quad many times in the past year and I don't have any problem with the gate. The rear tires sit just a little on the gate, but not much and I ride it up ramps into the truck without a problem. There is hardly any weight on the gate, it can still be moved up and down, but it doesn't bounce real bad unless you hit a bump pretty hard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Jan 6, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    A.D.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    nice

16. Jan 6, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    One thought - if you remove the tailgate you may have trouble re-installing it if the quad's wheels are overhanging that area.

17. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    br217398

br217398 Crazy Person.....

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.
    1205081259_c1c8d2533dac32727b9f2133241b1e50019b0f97.jpg

our tailgates dont like motorcycles.......

18. Jan 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    im pretty sue 08s came with the reinforced gate i know mine did. mind you mine also came with four leaf leaf packs

19. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    That sucks. Yeah the problem with motorcycles is the rear tire actually sits on the center (weakest point) of the tailgate.

20. Jan 7, 2009 at 12:08 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    i've run all kinds of quads and stuff up my tailgate and it was never a problem. the problems arise when the load is directly on the center of the gate but they're not too hard to reinforce if you want to. you can check out my pics for how i reinforced my gate after bending one with a brush mower.

Products Discussed in

To Top