Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Another tail gate question.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Another tail gate question.

hello all,
I am new to the forum, but have been a lurker for awhile, and finally had a need to ask something i was not able to get the answer for myself. The tail gate problem, where does this usually happen? Like, in the center of the gate, the sides, or anywhere weight is put on it? I have come across a really good deal on a quad, and i have measured it out, there will be very minimal weight put on the gate for extended periods of time, since the quad will fit in between the fender wells and be able to sit far enough forward to barely sit on the gate, so basically i am asking if i should beef up the gate even though i will only be putting weight on it when it goes in and out of the bed? Sorry for the rambling, and thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
A.D. you could also remove the tailgate when loading/unloading the quad.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Yes, i hadn't thought about that, i know the gate comes off really easy, i actually just might do that. But as far as riding with the quad back there for a long drive? I know there will be a small patch where the rear tires will be sitting on the gate, but this is really the lightest part of the quad, so i don't know if i wanna get into the gate and mod it if i don't need to. Any Quad guys in here having problems with their quads sitting on their gates? Oh yes, i own a DC, do any DC owners input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
bluecluee is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
bluecluee's Tacoma Gallery
Short bed or long?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I have a short bed DC, havent had any issues with the tailgate. The way the quad fits i seriously doubt this will occur
Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Adding to the last post.... i have mobbed the CRAP out of my truck in the dunes / desert...i have pushed the truck to the limit with the quad in the back - no issues. the rear wheels of the quad are near the bottom of the tailgate and the weight is distributed evenly. Also, loading & unloading I havent had any issues. me and a buddy usually grab the front wheels, set it on tailgate, then lift the back in
Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Desert Riding Ninja

A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Good to hear, I have a DC and was hoping that the rear wheels wouldn't be a problem on the gate. I have had trucks before and my quads have never been an issue, i've even strapped them down to the gate before, but never in my Tacoma, and have read about some tailgate issues with other Tacomas, so i thought i would check on it. Nice to hear that another SoCal Tacoma guy is enjoying some ATV action though, most of the peeps i know do the MotoCross bikes. Oh and i love the dunes too!! Plan on heading to Dumont shortly after picking up the quad, just need to get some paddles for her and i'll be there.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
╒╪╕

It shouldnt be an issue on the gate. I think more of the problems come from dirtbikes where you've got all the weight on one wheel in one spot - thats where a lot of the problems are coming from. with the quad in there, i am even able to lift the gate a couple inches - thats how far forward the rear tires sit, depending on the quad.

I try to get to the dunes as much as possible its just hard because the closest place for me is pismo and its almost 3 hrs away. I was just there over new years tho, it was fun. I havent been to dumont since i was a little kid with the fam, i've been meaning to go there again. My usual spots are glamis & pismo.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have a DC SB and have had a 4-wheeler in there a few times. Never had the TSB done or ever had any troubles while packing it around. It was only a few times though so it's not a daily or weekly thing for me. I was borrowing it more like it!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe throw a piece of plywood on the tailgate somehow? That would distribute the weight more evenly.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Desert Riding Ninja

A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
i got a pretty good idea of what i am gonna do, not sure if i need to, but ima do it anyway. I'll post pics when i am done though.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
Creedmoor Connections
carolinyens will become famous soon enough
carolinyens's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a thread from XRU talkin about it. Maybe it'll have something that can help you.
http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2038
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #14
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a DC short bed, I have hauled my quad many times in the past year and I don't have any problem with the gate. The rear tires sit just a little on the gate, but not much and I ride it up ramps into the truck without a problem. There is hardly any weight on the gate, it can still be moved up and down, but it doesn't bounce real bad unless you hit a bump pretty hard.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
Desert Riding Ninja

A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
I have a DC short bed, I have hauled my quad many times in the past year and I don't have any problem with the gate. The rear tires sit just a little on the gate, but not much and I ride it up ramps into the truck without a problem. There is hardly any weight on the gate, it can still be moved up and down, but it doesn't bounce real bad unless you hit a bump pretty hard.

nice
Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #16
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
One thought - if you remove the tailgate you may have trouble re-installing it if the quad's wheels are overhanging that area.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
Crazy Person.....
br217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nice
br217398's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to br217398

our tailgates dont like motorcycles.......
Old 01-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #18
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
im pretty sue 08s came with the reinforced gate i know mine did. mind you mine also came with four leaf leaf packs
Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #19
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by br217398 View Post

our tailgates dont like motorcycles.......
That sucks. Yeah the problem with motorcycles is the rear tire actually sits on the center (weakest point) of the tailgate.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #20
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i've run all kinds of quads and stuff up my tailgate and it was never a problem. the problems arise when the load is directly on the center of the gate but they're not too hard to reinforce if you want to. you can check out my pics for how i reinforced my gate after bending one with a brush mower.