1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pros/Cons of a chopped exhaust...........

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sofiasdad11, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Jul 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    :playball: Gentlemen, and the few girls whom grace our site, am considering chopping the exhaust on my '11 taco. before i enter the realm of the internets, thought i'd ask here as to the ramifications of such...........of which there are many ? Google is cool, but have found TW is so much more accurate for our trucks................Checked out Sandjunkie's build and was inspired, albeit for perhaps different reasons. anyway, ANY AND ALL INPUT APPRECIATED........:D

2. Jul 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Chopped where?? I dumped mine just behind the new muffler I had installed...No issues yet.

3. Jul 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    similar to this..........trust me, i have my reasons. Whipper, you live here, you may have a clue as to why.............:rolleyes:

1247261523_d6qus-L.jpg
    1247261774_YnL9x-L.jpg

4. Jul 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    For lack of any other obvious signs of problems/etc, WHY do you want to chop it off there? Just curious as to your reasoning behind it. As for the photos, the only ramifications I can see at that point is the risk of excessive heat on the spare tire.

5. Jul 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for replying............appreciate it.............ok here's my dilemna---purchased some custom-made mudflaps made by a fellow TW member but have unfortunately experienced the "curling" that others have due to the exhaust port. didn't want to take this "public" at the present time as have been happy with them thus far. simply thought this chopped option would cure the issue. and yes, flaps for me are essential much of the year...........

6. Jul 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Those pics are mine. There are no cons. The cons listed here are not any more significant for a chopped exhaust or stock. The tailpipe of a stock exhaust is the same distance from the spare tire and Axle heating doesn't even remotely make sense. Its behind the rear axle and there have been no gasses in the cab. I did it to eliminate the look of the tailpipe out the side. This is much cleaner in my opinion and the possibility of trail damage is non-existent.

BraddahRO likes this.
  7. Jul 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    IMO the guy who said about the fumes getting in-under the right conditions this will happen, and probably often-because the fumes will get the chance to accumulate under there then seep up into an open window. IE stoplight on a still day.

8. Jul 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC

I could see that happening. One of the reasons I chopped mine after it was up and over the rear axle. It also eliminates the fumes wrapping around into the cab.

9. Jul 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I haven't had an issue with fumes in my cab, nor have i had any issues with my spare or axle getting heated up

mine's been chopped for 4-5 years now right behind the rear axle

Manfred likes this.
  10. Jul 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    touche

11. Jul 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    This is the scenario i'm hoping to replicate. a minimal port with no chance of exhaust into the cab (obviously). thank-you all for the input. simply have to relay this info effectively to the shop..................:rolleyes:

12. Jul 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I have mine chopped in a similar fashion. No fumes in the cab nor under the tonneau cover.

13. Jul 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Ive had mine chopped for 4 years now, cut off exhaust and welded a muffler and a turn down on before the axle, and ive never experienced any of the proposed cons mentioned! People are too paranoid and scared for their own good! I did mine for looks and for the sound of a turn down. If u wanna do it then do it, dont be scared . . . . .

14. Jul 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    When you put the exhaust exit at the end of the truck body, it being a hot gas, it will float up and away. More importantly, it will not have the chance to accumulate, concentrate then seep up the side of the body into your cab. My gut reaction in my 1st post here was because his handle is "Sophia's dad" and I immediately thought even chancing this project wouldn't be worth it just based on his daughter being in there with him. Just putting it out there as a "why even take the chance". BTW some of the fumes you cannot smell.

15. Jul 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Yeah I understand being on the side of precaution, which is fine for some people. Others, like me, like to live a dangerous, on the edge kinda life style and do things like chop our exhaust :cool:

16. Jul 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    no different than than when I was young with the dual cutoffs or the Vettes and Cobras with sidepipes plus motorcycles.
    It's all good just putting another angle to the OP is all.

17. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    watchdog

watchdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    Chopped before rear axle with flowmaster muffler and turn downs.

18. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Chopped mine just like the OP's photos, no problems or exhast smell. Hope this doesn't prevent me from passing New Mexico emissions testing any one know?

19. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    I dont see how it would! As long as u still have a cat and a muffler u should be fine

20. Jul 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    Mines not chopped but the exit is between the frame and leaf spring.

Products Discussed in

To Top