Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ultra gauge way off

Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
pdrunk is on a distinguished road
pdrunk's Tacoma Gallery
The UG keeps a running count of distance travelled. By inputting gallons used, it divides its distance by your gallons, giving MPGavg.

If you forget to zero distance travelled at each fillup, distance constantly increases, increasing, falsely, MPGavg.

When i forgot to zero distance on my first fillup, all my numbers jumped up dratically at the second fillup/calibration. I had to start the whole calibration hing all over again.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #22
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrunk View Post
The UG keeps a running count of distance travelled. By inputting gallons used, it divides its distance by your gallons, giving MPGavg.

If you forget to zero distance travelled at each fillup, distance constantly increases, increasing, falsely, MPGavg.

When i forgot to zero distance on my first fillup, all my numbers jumped up dratically at the second fillup/calibration. I had to start the whole calibration hing all over again.
Only because you didn't add your previous fillup.

If you zero every time you get gas, then you are constantly resetting it.
You'll eventually sneak up on a good calibration, but it may take longer.

If you don't zero, then you simply have to add your previous tanks to the current tank to get the proper correction factor.

Like I said... Yesterday I filled up and recalibrated with 57.4 gallons.
That was 4 tanks. That's exactly what the instructions that the OP posted say to do.

Hint... When you go to the calibration screen and you see "32.503" already there, you should not change it to "16.538" that you got on that fill up... you need to add the previous fillup to the current.

I save my outgoing Fuelly text messages for a month or so, so I can go back 5 or 6 tanks and add totals if I want to recalibrate.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
pdrunk is on a distinguished road
pdrunk's Tacoma Gallery
I agree that is a better, easier way, but I think the OP's outrageous numbers may be due to not zeroing distance and not adding all the fuelups. My guess is he's calculating per fuelup like I did, but without zeroing distance, which would lead to Falsely elevated numbers.

OP, if you saved your receipts or fuelly'd, maybe you can track down where the problem is.

Hmm, I could have sworn my instructions said to zero and calibrate every fillup...

Edit: my derp, resetting MPGavg resets general distance travelled. I thought these were seperate.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
shoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to behold
shoebag22's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to factory reset and start over. What steps should I take at the next fill up and what steps should I take for the next several fill ups after that first one??
Old 07-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #25
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The instructions you posted are perfect.

First, before doing anything, go through the Vehicle and Gauge setup and get what calibrations you can set.
This includes speed, odometer (set them to GPS or to your speedo/odo, your choice), tank size, and whatever other options there are under the setup menu.

Go to the gas station, zero everything, and fill the tank to the first click-off.

Now, you can go one of two ways... you can adjust the fuel calibration on each tank, or you can simply ignore the UG for 4-5 tanks and do it all at once.
Regardless, keep your receipts or write down the # of gallons (all digits to the .000).

Each time you refuel, press the "UP" button to tell the UG the tank is full, then go into the menu.
Select Vehicle Setup.. --> Calibration.. --> Calibrate MPG/Fuel.
For your first tank, the number will be pretty close to what you purchased.
Adjust the number to match your purchase and keep the receipt or write down the fuel amount.
I recommend writing down... as hot as it is right now, the thermal receipts may not last long in the cab of the truck.

Next time you refuel, do the same thing, but instead of making the calibration number match the quantity you purchased, ADD both purchases together and input that number. Again, the number displayed should be reasonably close to your total purchases.

Next time you refuel, do the same thing, but instead of making the calibration number match the quantity you purchased, add all three purchases together and input that number. Again, the number displayed should be reasonably close to your total purchases.

Next time you refuel, do the same thing, but instead of making the calibration number match the quantity you purchased, add all four purchases together and input that number. Again, the number displayed should be reasonably close to your total purchases.

Next time you refuel, do the same thing, but instead of making the calibration number match the quantity you purchased, add all five purchases together and input that number. At this point, the number on the UG should be within a couple of hundredths of your total of the 5 purchases.

Once you're happy with accuracy (and there will always be some small variance), from that point on, ignore the calibration procedure.
You can reset the total MPG and G/H without impacting the calibration, or what I do, it leave the totals alone and simply zero my trip data from tank to tank unless I'm going on a road trip.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
Rodallg is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Rodallg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebag22 View Post
I am going to factory reset and start over. What steps should I take at the next fill up and what steps should I take for the next several fill ups after that first one??

I've been where you are since the instructions aren't real clear that you need to add the gallons up as you fill up. Such as first fill up you put in 10 gallons and record in the unit 10 gallons, second fill up you put in another 10 gallons and then record 20 in the unit.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
shoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to beholdshoebag22 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Did You get the Ultra Gauge setup correctly in the beginning?
Engine size, Tank Size, etc
Then Calibrate distance on the highway from mile marker to mile marker.
Sound like it thinks it's in a different vehicle

CC

you may be on to something. I thought about this last night. When i first got it i plugged it in to my wife's car to clear the check engine. Bet that is where my problem is. Thanks guys. stay tuned.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebag22 View Post
you may be on to something. I thought about this last night. When i first got it i plugged it in to my wife's car to clear the check engine. Bet that is where my problem is. Thanks guys. stay tuned.
It didn't "learn" anything from her car, but if you never went through the vehicle setup, then that explains why your DTE is off.
It needs to know your engine size, fuel tank size, etc....
Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #30
i went through the engine size/tank size calibration on the truck
Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #32
when i first got it i went through the calibration steps, so a factory reset is all I can think of.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
i reset everything and started fresh and all appears to be working properly. I went through the calibration the first time, so I have no idea what when wrong. thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #35
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
Instructions

Here is a link for the directions since the unit does not come with any. It took me a while to get mine calibrated, but finally done. I think it is page 29-30. It evens calibrates my speed since I have larger tires. I would do the distance calibration on a 50 mile stretch of highway to be sure. Mine is accurate now and no issues. The fuel level and DTE is spot on with my low fuel light.

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/su...ser_manual.pdf

Speedo say 80

UG says actual
Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #36

80 vs 87.5???????
The UG takes it's information from the same data source as the speedometer. Did you calibrate yours against a GPS or are you just assuming that the UG is "correct"?

Normally, at 80mph indicated, a stock Tacoma will normally be doing around 75.
To get the kind of error that you're reporting, you'd have to be running 35's.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #37
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
80 vs 87.5???????
The UG takes it's information from the same data source as the speedometer. Did you calibrate yours against a GPS or are you just assuming that the UG is "correct"?

Normally, at 80mph indicated, a stock Tacoma will normally be doing around 75.
To get the kind of error that you're reporting, you'd have to be running 35's.
I stopped at a mile marker 120 on the highway and reset the trip on the UG. I drove to mile marker 70 and stopped. When I was there I went into the calibration screen and adjusted the mileage to 50 which was the actual distance I traveled. It was off by 5 miles. The faster I go the greater the distance between the speedo and the UG. Cruising around 65 MPH the UG reads 70 which is correct, but the faster I go the more it is off. My MPG is actually very accurate since I calibrated it and has never worked better. THe only true test is to have a car along side of me and give them a fixed speed to travel and compare. I may do that in the near future
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #38

Odometer and speedometer do not have the same factory error.
Similar to my motorcycle... speedo is about 10% off, odo is about 5% off.

The taco is the same way.
Compared to the GPS, I'm running 70 when the speedo is showing 75 or 76, but the odometer only shows about a 2% error (2 miles off for 100 traveled).

You need to verify speed using a GPS.
Using mile markers works for distance, but 50 miles is not enough.
Even a 5% error is only going to show a 2.5 mile difference in 50 miles.
The higher the speed, or the greater the distance, the greater the number differential will be, and the more accurate your calculated percentage error will be.