1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Converting 05 Tacoma to 4wd

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tspence, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    Tspence

Tspence [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    Beastly
    I am 17 years old and i am looking to convert my 2wd tacoma to 4wd. I am always afraid of getting stuck when mudding and would love to challenge my truck some more in tuffer terrain. I was looking to see if anyome knew a price range of converting it would be...."

2. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
  3. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    Price Range: Not worth it

get a winch and go through whatever you want

4. Jul 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Tyler ... go for it brother ... we never learn by sitting on our ass waiting for the world to hand us something ... if it works out ... great ... if it doesn't you learn by your mistakes and move on.

Most important thing to know ... be aware of what you are getting into before turning that 1st bolt.

5. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    stowayman

stowayman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD O/R - Debadged
    Kenwood DNX9980HD Nav - BT - Sirius - backup camera, Weathertech digifits, maglite mod, 14" billet antenna
    Take advice from us old guys.... sell it and buy a 4X4 - too many reasons to list... the learning experience of converting into 4whl drive is an absolute waste of your valuable time and money - put the OME 3" lift kit on your 4X4 truck ... now that's a good learning experience for ya.

6. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Hey, hey, hey ... I'm an old guy as well ... I thought my sage advice would do this young man well in his coming years ... a little positive reinforcement goes a long way ... :cool:.

7. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    kjf216

kjf216 Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    from the research i have started so far if you have a pre runner and can track down parts from a salvage yard your looking at 2500-3500 in parts. if you have the tools and help its pretty much bolt up (still a lot of work) but doable. if you have a 5 lug it sounds like its a major pain in the ass. if you got a pre runner i say go for it take lots of pics and do a thread on it so i have something to reference when i finally get around to doing it myself.

also just by making this thread be prepared for all the peoples who think they know everything and feel the need to tell you can't do it. research as much as you can before you start and take the opinion of people on here with a grain of salt there is a wealth of knowledge if you can pic through the BS.:D

8. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    Brandon H

Brandon H Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800
    Save your money bud. Sell your prerunner for a 4x4.

9. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

Nobody said it can't be done, it's just not worth it.

10. Jul 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    I fail to understand what age has to do with any of this. I know plenty of 40 year old guys who ask questions similar to this all the time. I've been on car forums since I was 14 years old, and built a 1965 Shelby Cobra in my garage from the ground up from 15-17. At age 16 I bought and rebuilt a Mustang GT from the short block in my high school autoshop class.

I understand that this forum (2nd gen especially) doesn't really cater to those who get into the nitty-gritty of it all, and mainly sticks to light mods and stuff you can do on a Saturday afternoon...and there's nothing wrong with that. But I've been on forums where most of the topics are similar to things of this magnitude. It's not really a far-fetched idea.

If you have the will and the pockets for it, never deny yourself a challenge because a bunch of more "experienced" or "seasoned" guys say not to. Otherwise, I wouldn't be the person I am today.

11. Jul 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    I pulled the body of a 72 chevy one time to do a frame off paint job 8yrs later I sold the body parts laying on the ground for 300 bucks. And that was the last of that truck. My neighbour keeps tryin to talk me into building a hotrod I just tell him when I decide I want one ill just go buy it cause its not worth it lol

12. Jul 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    rhowell

rhowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy

Yep.......... but is he the 0.5% that despite having the money and the skill to do it he also possesses the brains to know NOT to do it. Just because it can be done does not mean it SHOULD be done.

13. Jul 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    No kidding...but then again if everybody thought like that, the word innovation wouldn't be in the dictionary. Think of how many things we use today that are a product of somebody's bold idea...and think about how many people tried to discourage them along the way.

I know the chances of the OP being everything I mentioned are slim, but he was simply asking how much a project of this magnitude will cost. He wasn't asking for advice on whether or not he SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do it. I'm pretty sure after doing some research and getting some answers, he has the capacity to make that call himself.

14. Jul 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Trade for a 4X4--Or get the winch. Now what will your excuse be for getting (you and your GF)home LATE--got stuck?(careful-older guys, me included) or ran out of gas.
    GO TRADE--you will be glad you did.

15. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Really bro? This that what you walked away with from my post? If you are going to quote one you should quote them all. I'm not giving this kid any "medals or trophies."

I would expect more from a sailor, unless he's that 19 year E-6 wingnut in the shop whose Chief has to follow up on everything he is assigned because he only hears 1/2 of what he is told.

So if that shadowbox is going to ring with an echo because it is empty of "medals and trophies" I can see why.

Fair winds and following seas shipmate ... :cool:

16. Jul 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    Tspence

Tspence [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    Beastly
    Well sorry to start a lot of controversy over this thread but i just joined this forum. My dad has been a member for years and thats what i have used for all the mods for my TACO. I figured i should mature and make my own account. My truck is something i spend a lot of time on and my friend and i love putting my new parts on the day their shipped in. I must say putting in my 3 inch procomp lift kit was the biggest project that i got the most experience from. My truck has no problem running through some thick mud, but like i said its just something thats nice to have. For insurance

17. Jul 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Tyler ... not to worry ... no matter what someone post, there are those who will strongly have a different opinion (no surprise there) ... that's the case when one asks for opinions ... gather what is offered ... weigh the cost/labor/frustation factors and go from there ... lots of good infomation here.

18. Jul 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the insight bro ... :cheers:

19. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    stowayman

stowayman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD O/R - Debadged
    Kenwood DNX9980HD Nav - BT - Sirius - backup camera, Weathertech digifits, maglite mod, 14" billet antenna
    Life's hard, it's even harder when you're stupid

- John Wayne

Products Discussed in

To Top