Notices

MAF high volume code

Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
THA BOWHUNTER
BANKOTSU420 is on a distinguished road

Navy: BM3
BANKOTSU420's Tacoma Gallery
MAF high volume code

I have a 2007 Tacoma with a 130K miles. Just a couple of weeks ago, my engine felt like it was cutting out on the fwy at 80 m/hr. The check engine light came on. Ran diagnostict @ Auto Zone, code read MAF sensor high volume code. Never had black smoke come from exhaust until now. Read on other threads that this is consider engine running rich. Changed the MAF sensor now 3X, each time meeting same result. Black smoke from exhaust and no power on engine. Going to change spark plugs and checking PCV today in hopes of correcting this issue. Anyone with any information or experience need your input. HELP!!!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
THA BOWHUNTER

No no oil on the filter. i have checked for leaks on i have not found any. Running out of things to do!!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
BlazeTaco is on a distinguished road

BlazeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Check for a grounding problem in the maf circuit or bad electrical connection. How long have you been running rich. You could have ruined the cats now too.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
THA BOWHUNTER

Just started running rich when i got the code for the first time. About 2 weeks ago. I've read about the cat going bad. Is this something I can test myself or do I need to go to a shop???
Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
THA BOWHUNTER

No luck wiht changing the plugs!!!! Still running rough and idling very low just under 500 rpm. I also ran in some Lucas fuel injector cleaner. I still need to run my tank out but at this point i don't even want to move it. By the way the plugs all looked like normal wear. Now I'm wondering about my CAT. But i dont want to spend the money if I don't need it. Does anyone know how to tell if it has gone bad??? Also how about the o2 senser???
Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
How long have you been running that intake? If you still have the stocker, try swapping back over just for the hell of it.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
THA BOWHUNTER

I have had the intake since I bought the truck in 2007 never had a problem till now. I have been very happy with the intake and do not really want to go back to stock. Besides i dont even know if i still have it. I have been calling around on CAT's and someone asked if I had checked the o2 sensor does anyone know anything about them???
Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
You are just throwing money away at an issue that you do not understand. Nobody on here can troubleshoot the problem effectively or should I say efficiently. Three MAF sensors isn't cheap in my experience. Take it to a Toyota Dealer or a shop that knows what they are doing. It may seem expensive in the short run, but to continue throwing money down a rabbit hole is never a good choice.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
on phone, think i have your answer, type it later
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I had a similar issue with mine, turns out I've heard of quite a few others having the same issue. It's most likely the Connector piece itself that plugs into the MAF sensor, not the actual MAF sensor. If you have a code reader then there is a way to test this theory too.

Grip the wires and jiggle them whilst pushing into the connector piece. You should be able to get a solid enough connection that you can clear the code, and re-read them and it wont be there. This is a temp solution, usually you can drive around 2ish days before driving vibrations slowly wiggle the wires out again.

Forgot to mention, whilst vehicle is running do the jiggling.

If you have a way to read live data (Torque App for Androids for example) You can watch the voltage reading from the MAF sensor change as your jiggling the wiring too.

Only way to fix this if this is your issue is to get a new connector piece and solder and heat shrink it into the main wiring. Thats what I had to do.

Here's the excerpt from my Build thread involving this issue:

Quote:
About an hour after the 3rd belt blew, my Check engine light came on. Using torque app (seriously, that things worth it's weight in gold, get it) I discovered these codes.

After interweb research and with 82,ooo km's on my truck, I figured my MAF sensor must have coincidently gone. Replaced that at the cost of 306$ from Toyota . Only to discover that while my belt whipped around is smashed my wiring for the MAF wire extention due to my URD TCAI. I ran rich as a pig just EATING fuel the rest of that road trip till I got home and one of the X-ru.com guys sent me his spare MAF connector piece + wiring for just the price of shipping. LOVE online forum communities.

May 13th, 2012:

Finally warm enough to get the new MAF wiring soldered in place.. only took till May.. thanks Canada!! Prepped most of the job that I could do indoors to save time. Then went outside to finish the job.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
THA BOWHUNTER

BrokenTusks YOU MY FRIEND ARE A STUD IF I COULD FIND YOUR HOUSE I WOULD THROW HOOKERS THROUGH YOUR WINDOW!!!! I had a thought that might be part of my problem. It's true i have changed the sensor 3 times but all 3 times have been under Auto Zone warranty. Now back to BrokenTusk a vacuum line used to run under my MAF connector since I owned my truck. I just recintly rerouted that line. After the first time i changed the MAF sensor. I came home and jiggled the wires and it shut down my truck. The second time I swithched it out I was able to drive around the Las Vegas Valley till it got real hot. If I would hit a bump on the freeway I would sputter and loose power. Now its back to the point of having no power. I played with the cables again and it shut me down again. It does not do it all the time but what you described is what is going on!!!!!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH. I will be looking into changing that conector A.S.A.P Also I have seen my CEL go on and off before I thought this was odd but now not so much. I'll keep you posted!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #13

Lucky for you I accept all forms of gratitude in hookers being thrown through my window

Probably the reason it worked for a bit after the MAF sensor replacements is because you unknowingly jiggled it to the correct place during the switch.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #14

Also, I used the new Tundra MAF connector piece. It has different colour wiring on it so you'll need to mark down where each coloured wire enters the connector, so as not to screw up the connections. Any Connector you can get off a newer vehicle the better, I think it was a batch of them toyota used in the mid-late 2000's that had this issue of a bad internal connection.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
THA BOWHUNTER

I will make sure Ipay attention to that. Once again I cant thank you enough!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #16

best bet is to just go find a junk yarded Taco and just slice off the piece, you can't buy it from toyota either. They will try to sell you the ENTIRE VEHICLE WIRING HARNESS . I'll leave myself sub'd to this thread if you need anything later.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Lucky for you I accept all forms of gratitude in hookers being thrown through my window
That'll be an interesting one to explain to the cops, why a hooker is dead and bloody on your bedroom floor with glass shards everywhere.

Good work on diagnosing the OP's problem, though!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
THA BOWHUNTER

My hunt will begain next weekend hopefully i will have some luck. I need my truck back up and running like yesterday!!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
By 130,000 I would've installed new O2 sensor(s) anyway and the cat is probably toast. Have someone rev the engine, is there a decent amount of pressure coming out of the tailpipe? If not the cat is probably clogged up. I also drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of the muffler so any condensation can get out of the muffler.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #20

Wouldn't any moisture in the muffler boil off almost as soon as the vehicle reaches operating temps?? I don't see that being an issue