1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions Wanted: Trade an 07 F150 for a new Taco?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Robert B, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    Haha, I wish, my wife drives my buddy's DCLB F-350 with 10 inches of lift and 40x16.5" rubber every chance she gets. :eek:

As for the F150 to Taco I think you'd be happy with it. It can still tow/haul a decent amount. There's lots of options for suspension and other aftermarket parts. Fuel mileage I think isn't great but I came out of a car as my previous daily driver too. I've towed with my dad, he was in his '05 Navigator with the 5.4L I was in my DCLB V6 4wd on 285 x 32.5" tires, we both had trailers, cruised together for 2 tanks of fuel, same speeds same stops and I used exactly 3/4 the fuel he did. Not towing the mileage is about that too, 3/4 of the Navigator's thirst.

My best all highway tanks on the big tires were about 525km and I've since switched to the stock tires and picked up a significant improvement, haven't really stretched a tank but at least a 50-75km improvement in range. It does look way better on beefy ATs than it does on stock highway tires though.

The DCLB is a bit of a pig to park sometimes, not bad but it's probably the same length as an extended cab short box fullsize and the Navigator turns tighter. The turning radius kinda sucks on the taco but I only really notice it trying to get spun around in a parking lot with a trailer on. It's no Miata for sure but I've never had an issue getting it parked. The narrower width compared to a fullsize is a real asset when you're parking in the city in some of those ridiculously tight lots.

2. Jul 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    Robert B

Robert B [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD/OR 6 Spd Manual
    Thanks for all of the comments. I'm getting rid of the boat that needed a big truck for towing, making the F150 less of a "necessity." I will do a test drive with the kids if I can get them off the xBox and down to the dealer. ;) The Baja set up looks pretty close to what I have the Kings on my F150. Is that available yet?

Additionally, I have seen the aftermarket support for the Tacoma and there are a lot more functional aftermarket parts available for it than the F150. The F150 has lots to make your rig look capable. There are few parts available that actually make it more capable and not less capable.

3. Jul 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    Don't get the broja, you can save money and build a better more capable Tacoma for cheaper and less parts to throw out when you're done

4. Jul 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I think the backseat room is going to be your biggest issue, especially as your kids grow. I'm getting ready to take a trip to CO (7+ hours), and there will only be 3 of us in the truck, and it was like pulling teeth to get my sister to agree taking my truck, because she hates the backseat room, and she's only 5'3". And that's with her having the whole backseat to herself. I've sat back there, and it's tight. That's the #1 thing I don't like about the Tacoma...for as big as the DC is, the interior room is crap.

I think you will get better mileage (with a heavy foot, maybe 16-17) and better resale, but I agree with the whipper...check out the new F-150 in either 5.0 or 3.5 EcoBoost...both will get similar mileage to the Tacoma and have more room.

Products Discussed in

To Top