1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will installing 5100's to level cause towing issues?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Schwinn, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Schwinn

Schwinn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    I'd really like to level out my truck, so was thinking of doing the 5100's in the front. Seems like the cheapest AND most sensible way to do it. Right now, when I put my camper on with a tongue weight of roughly 325 lbs (I say roughly because I measured it by lifting it up and putting it on a bathroom scale, so give or take, obviously), the rear end settles to just about level. If I raise the front, I'm assuming this is going to cause me to be nose high when I tow the trailer. I'm thinking this will eat into mileage, but are there any other issues I should be concerned about. Right now, it's the only thing that has stopped me from calling "my guy" and ordering them.

2. Jul 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    Your biggest concern is taking weight off the front end. 80% of braking and obviously your steering comes from the front. You can level your truck, and then add airbags in the rear that you use as needed.

3. Jul 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    Tripps2012

Tripps2012 2014 TRD OR

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    You could look into Supersprings for the rear they install and add no height but kick in when loaded.

4. Jul 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    When we bought the trailer, we were at a campsite in Ottawa, and saw it at a lot, so bought it, used it for the week, then brought it home. My wife's van we were using needed tires, so I thought maybe it was because of that that they kept spinning trying to leave stop signs. Thought it was a little weird, but whatever. Later stopped for food, came out and looked at the setup...oh. Turns out the front end was almost out of travel. Apparently when they say in the manual "Can tow up to xx lbs", they don't mean with the current spring set up...

Anyway, I digress...right now, we only camp a few times a year, so I don't want to put a tonne of cash into mods so I can tow what I currently can without any mods. How hard is it to adjust the shocks? Is it feasible to adjust them to 0 before I go camping? Other than the trailer, I'm hauling 20lb mountain bikes, so don't really need to have an airbag set up, or spring helpers.

5. Jul 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    If the 5100s work as I think they do, you'd have to remove the complete strut and disassemble it to make the changes. It would get old very quick.

6. Jul 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
    This is correct.

7. Jul 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    Yea, that doesn't sound very efficient at all...

I guess the thing to do is measure the amount of sag, then decide if it's worth it to level the truck.

8. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    It tows fine as it is, I just wanted to level it as I like the stance better. I sold my Mustang I did all the work on, and my Taco is too stock, so I'm getting the itch to start wrenching. Unfortunately, cash is tight. On paper, my business is 8 months old and doing awesome. However, if clients don't give me cheques, it doesn't pay for the toys...

I stripped most of the stuff off the Mustang, and the guy who I bought it from was selling it for me. I think I have enough for the Billsteins, but not to do the back as well. Unfortunately, I've already done some long trips with the trailer (and the wife), so I can't even fake needing it.

9. Jul 7, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    Hubs

Hubs Well-Known Member

Member:
    just make sure that your trailer tongue weight equals 7-10% of the total trailer weight. Using your stats, your are towing at least(up to) 3,250 lbs.

10. Jul 7, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    It's a pop-up, and I think the stats on cupboard door is around 2 500lbs (I'm out of town, or I'd go check). I did use an electronic bathroom scale to get a rough idea...I concede that idea could be very rough. That being said, it is equipped with brakes, and the tounge is damn heavy to lift. My over 6' brother in law can't lift it himself, and when my 240lb fat ass jumps on the bumper, the tounge doesn't even try to lift up when it's unhooked. It seems a little out of balance to me, as the wheels seem to be set pretty far back from centre.

Products Discussed in

To Top