Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best Kayak Rack?

Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
mattd017 is on a distinguished road

Army:
mattd017's Tacoma Gallery
Best Kayak Rack?

I have a Old Town Cayuga 160 (16') and need a rack for it for my new Tacoma. The car roof rack obviously won't work, so I need something new. Anyone using one that they like? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
<<-- I have pics in my gallery camera button of my thule system but....

my kayaks are only 12' Wilderness System Pungos. You could use the goal post that slides into the receiver of your hitch in conjunction with your factory rack no problem. I have seen a few tacomas here and in person with the Thule Xsportster & longer kayaks & canoes.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Uhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Uhaul-n-azz's Tacoma Gallery
Get yakima Q Towers have and they work great.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Thule
Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
This is off a great DIY kayak website but might give you some ideas;
http://www.yostwerks.com/GTSKayak1.html

Follow the corner "next page" buttons.....

Motoretro
Old 01-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Beach Prerunner
TheOne is on a distinguished road

TheOne's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Yakima racks and Goal post for my 14' canoe and it works great have had zero issues with that set up
Old 01-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
nomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
I use the Yakima racks and Goal post for my 14' canoe and it works great have had zero issues with that set up
That's what I did... works great!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Razorback Fan
off road yota is on a distinguished road

off road yota's Tacoma Gallery
rachunter has a homemade setup that is pretty cool. You might take a look at that.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhaul-n-azz View Post
Get yakima Q Towers have and they work great.
Yes I have them and they are great
Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
Nice I wanted to know what to do with my 14 ft wilderness system Tsunami now I have some ideas to go on. good thread.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
I just saw this over on Toyota Nation.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=281905
Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
911Targa is on a distinguished road
911Targa's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive my ignorance , are these Thule rack feet a no-drill mount ? I didn't see anything on their website that show exactly how they mount to the roof .
Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
dmac11 is on a distinguished road
dmac11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Targa View Post
Forgive my ignorance , are these Thule rack feet a no-drill mount ? I didn't see anything on their website that show exactly how they mount to the roof .
Thule or Yakima have Drill-free mounting options. They both work great. they hook into the door line if you don't have a factory rack.

You cant go wrong with thule or yakima, both have lifetime warrantees.

(I sell roof racks and roof rack accessories. But have no Affiliation with either Company)

Mattd feel free to PM me if you have questions
Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #14
FTB530 is on a distinguished road
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac11 View Post
Thule or Yakima have Drill-free mounting options. They both work great. they hook into the door line if you don't have a factory rack.

You cant go wrong with thule or yakima, both have lifetime warrantees.

(I sell roof racks and roof rack accessories. But have no Affiliation with either Company)

Mattd feel free to PM me if you have questions
YOU can go wrong with those racks if they are not mounted correct or are not kept in good condition,there are a few pictures on this site of roof damage,saying that i am trying to find a rack system for my truck,i will probably end up with some parts of those two brands.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
Zombie Killer
surferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of light

EMS: EMT
surferkid's Tacoma Gallery
i have thule on my camper and USA racks i used when i didnt have the camper
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #16
Dagger Taco *****
BG KY Jets Fan will become famous soon enough

Name: Joe
BG KY Jets Fan's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
Fodder4U is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Fodder4U's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my rack:

Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
Fodder4U is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Fodder4U's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use a bed extender but this free'd up a lot more room and as you can see you can put all your gear under it. I built it so you can remove the upper frames and still use the trailer with sides for other stuff if not hauling the yaks.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #19
Skimmer is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Skimmer's Tacoma Gallery
Q Towers vs. Trac Rac

I researched the Web for months and ended up buying Trac Rac for my 2012 double cab. Of course had to buy special mounting clamps since the ones that come with it don't work on Tacomas. The racks fit my truck bed just fine but the prow of my Raddison canoe hit the roof of my truck rather than rest on the forward rack. Not adjustable so had to return them. Finally So I talked to some folks at a canoe/kayak shop and ended up with a set of Yakima Q tower roof racks. They fit nicely, go on and off easily and have enough span to support the canoe just fine. Only downside so far is that when I drive it sounds like I am in a wind tunnel. But of course they have "an ap" for that................windscreen accessory!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #20
FixedGearMike is on a distinguished road
FixedGearMike's Tacoma Gallery
Yakima q towers with a set of kayak stackers on my camper. I have had 8 whitewater boats on my truck with no problems.