1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A good/bad weekend for my Taco...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sfoxwoody, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Jul 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    sfoxwoody

sfoxwoody [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calhoun, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport, 4x4, BSP, LB
    none yet
    Well my 5100's came in from DSM and I decided to do the install myself with the help of this forum, and I was amazed at how easy it was. I had them out in less than an hour, called around and got the best price for swapping my OEM springs, $40 at the Goodyear tire store, had them set at 1.75 so as not to have any alignment issues. Got them home and slapped them in with no problem, then I noticed my passenger side upper ball joint was leaking bad so I decided while I was in there to go ahead and replace it, after calling about 6-7 parts stores finally found one at NAPA. Now comes the fun, I beat and beat trying to get the old one out, finally ended up taking the UCA off and beat some more, finally got it out at 1:15 am, I had to be at work at 8am! I didnt realize it had to be pressed in so I took the UCA back to the Goodyear store and they did it for free! Well I put the control arm back on today but the boot was giving me fits, long story short, I ripped the crap out of it getting it on. I guess seeing it with the billies on makes it not so bad that I have to get the ball joint fixed again, and I saved a load of money doing it myself! I'll post pics when I get new tires and black my wheels out.

2. Jul 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    TeamLombardo

TeamLombardo WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    OME 886x, OME Trim Packer, OME Shocks, Dakars, Toytec Shims, LR UCAs, CB Drop, Demello Sliders, Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Warn VR8000-s, RI 20" LED, RI Duallys, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Liners, SS Brake Lines Front/Back, BHLM, Anytime Fogs, CV Boot Mod, 20% Tint, Stubby Antenna, Salex Console Organizer, Derped Grill/Badges
    LOL. Thats sucks, but at least you gained some experience and knowledge. Too bad it was at the expense of your time and effort.

3. Jul 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Just because the boot is ripped doesn't mean it's ruined. Just means it won't last long. The grease will wash out quickly and it will develop play sooner.

4. Jul 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    sfoxwoody

sfoxwoody [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calhoun, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport, 4x4, BSP, LB
    none yet
    The one I got from NAPA has a grease fitting on it, so I could just keep greasing it, but I'm going to replace it because I cant stand it! I have to change the wheel bearing out on that side anyway so I'll swap it out then I guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top