1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Re-useable oil filters

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lowrange, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Jul 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    lowrange

lowrange [OP] Supreme Commander of the Army of the Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Are Can Saw
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...pure-power-cleanable-reusable-oil-filter.html

Ad for a re-useable, cleanable oil filter. I didn't want to clutter up the for sale ad so I'm posting here.

I don't see the point. The filter in the ad is $175 which is a big savings over normal retail ($249). Now for that price I can buy about 33 OEM Toyota filters @ $5.25 each.
    I don't have to buy a special cleaning solution to clean them (or use new solution in my cleaning tank). Then blow out the filter with compressed air and let it dry before reinstalling.
    Changing oil at 5000 mile intervals, using 33 OEM filters, I'm good for 165,000 miles.
    They claim you don't have to recycle the filter like you do with the OEM's. That's true; but it seems to me you generate waste that needs recycling when you clean the filter.
    Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees but I don't get it.

2. Jul 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I would never in a million years attempt to clean an oil filter and reuse it. That is just crazy. How are they figuring to clean it anyway without a cleaning solution of some sort? IMHO-crazy idea.

3. Jul 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Stainless mesh, used in racing and off-road applications.
    I have one on my dirt bike, would not run one on a street vehicle.

The mesh filters down very fine, but the problem is that it is not as efficient as paper.
    Both will filter down to, for example, .3 micron.
    The problem with the mesh is that it might allow a piece to pass that is .3 micron in diameter, but 10 microns in length... that piece would have been trapped by the paper filter due to the thickness of the media.

They are cleaned with any standard solvent... I use Diesel followed by a carb cleaner flush on my dirt bike.
    The problem with such a large unit is that you don't want the outside (unfiltered) to contaminate the inside (filtered) areas.
    That's easy with the dirtbike filter... simply hold it between your thumb and finger with your thumb plugging the hole. Swish it around, then blow it out with carb cleaner sprayed from the inside to outside, and finally blow compressed air into the center to dry it and evaporate the carb cleaner.

And it's a deal at $175... but for $175 I can buy 25 Pure-One filters that will do a better job of filtering, and 25 is enough for 125,000 miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top