LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

File your melted/cracked DTRL complaint with NHTSA, force Toyota to recall and fix

Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
File your melted/cracked DTRL complaint with NHTSA, force Toyota to recall and fix

If enough of us file complaints with the National Highway Safety Administration, they can force Toyota to recall and repair the defective lamp assemblies.

The on-line form is here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

So far NHTSA has only received 4 (counting mine-5) complaints but I know that there are a lot more than that.

Ray
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
This is probably a good idea.

However for those that are still under the 3-year, 36K mile comprehensive warranty, Toyota will replace them with an updated lens assembly. It's T-SB-0129-11, issued September 7th, 2011 and is applicable to 2005-2011 model Tacoma's.

I disabled my DTRL by cutting a wire, so that's another option as well.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 that I bought 4 months ago had melted drl and the dealership replaced them for me...now the NEW "upgraded" lights are coming apart! Ill definitely be in on this.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Is this a safety (fire or electrical) issue or just something we don't like cosmetically?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
Is this a safety (fire or electrical) issue or just something we don't like cosmetically?
Take a look at the photo in post #97 (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ll-melt-5.html)

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 covers: "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, (except pole trailers and trailer converter dollies), and Motorcycles (Effective 1-1-68 for vehicles 2,032 mrn (80 or more inches) in width and Effective 1-1-69 for all other vehicles)
This standard specifies requirements for original and replacement lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. Its purpose is to reduce traffic crashes and deaths and injuries resulting from traffic crashes, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness or other conditions of reduced visibility"

I think that this defect certainly reduces the effectiveness of the DTRL as well as the turn signal if the lens is melted/cracked/broken and reduces the amount of and proper distribution of light.

Ray
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
I did my own DTRL mod. SO I guess if they melt it is on my dime..Would be a excuse to upgrade..
Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My lens didn't melt but I have cracks in the main lens. It was blamed on sun damage which isn't covered.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Yayarisa is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Yayarisa's Tacoma Gallery
Melting DRL's.

I filed a complaint with NHTSA online with link posted here. I also called Toyota corporate. They opened a case. I'm to receive a call in 2 days. Judging from responses her I'm not optimistic but pray they take care of it. Will post result.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
Yayarisa is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Yayarisa's Tacoma Gallery
Melting DRL's.

I filed a complaint with NHTSA online with link posted here. I also called Toyota corporate. They opened a case. I'm to receive a call in 2 days. Judging from responses her I'm not optimistic but pray they take care of it. Will post result.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Y U copy and paste response to OZ?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure this would fall under a cosmetic issue rather than a safety issue which is where the NHTSA would get interested. Now if you could prove the light output dropped below the minimum required due to the bubbling, I think you would get somewhere.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
TacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bobby
TacoDeLaPlaya's Tacoma Gallery
How about getting an led bulb....no heat
Old 01-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDeLaPlaya View Post
No electronic flasher available to replace the 12-pin unit used in the DRL Tacoma.
Only option is to add load resistors, and being on DRLs, they are hot full-time and generate too much heat.

Best option is to hang a 1-2 ohm resistor in series with the lamps. This reduces the wattage slightly, but your turn signals still work properly.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
Roundabout136 is on a distinguished road

Roundabout136's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are both broken like this. Has anyone had any luck with getting them replaced?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #16
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDeLaPlaya View Post
Plug and play, no resistors, no splicing or tapping. I have them and love them. Hated the price, but they are brighter than the stock incandescent bulbs and, like you said, no heat in the headlight assembly. I don't even feel heat coming from the heat sinks on the back of the bulb,

Triton switchback V3 LED bulbshttp://www.vleds.com/tacoma-v3-triton-white-amber-switchback-drl-turn-signals.html

Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm pretty sure this would fall under a cosmetic issue rather than a safety issue which is where the NHTSA would get interested. Now if you could prove the light output dropped below the minimum required due to the bubbling, I think you would get somewhere.
Considering my dad has replaced his front blinker bulbs multiple times only to have them burn out within a week, it seems to me that it's more than a cosmetic issue.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Considering my dad has replaced his front blinker bulbs multiple times only to have them burn out within a week, it seems to me that it's more than a cosmetic issue.
The bulb socket gets scorched, mine is now a tan color with streaks of black. It used to be gray. I'd call that a fire risk, especially if the insulation on the wires gets brittle, cracks and shorts out. Has your dad traced the wires back a few inches, maybe he does have a short?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #19
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
The bulb socket gets scorched, mine is now a tan color with streaks of black. It used to be gray. I'd call that a fire risk, especially if the insulation on the wires gets brittle, cracks and shorts out. Has your dad traced the wires back a few inches, maybe he does have a short?
No clue, but I'm sure that's the issue. He's just ticked off at the fact that they told him it's not an issue and that he can have them install new one for $850 parts and labor. Which, if the wiring is shorted out, it's not going to fix anything except the melted lens. Even the actual headlight lenses are beginning to crack.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #20
discoy2k is just really nicediscoy2k is just really nicediscoy2k is just really nicediscoy2k is just really nicediscoy2k is just really nice

discoy2k's Tacoma Gallery
just an interesting fun fact, i never looked until i read this post, but after i did 2005 to 2012 front end swap, the DTRL's do not ever come on, with headlights on or off or fog lights on or off or anything. but even with the 2005 original front they never came on either (thank God because i think they are useless and would prevent driving blacked out using only infrared lights) i have all the connectors hooked up. never thought about it before, why have the connector if they never come on, LOL!

cheers,
disco