Notices

when is a good time to change plugs and wires

Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
The Gunslinger
TacoNH has a spectacular aura aboutTacoNH has a spectacular aura about

Name: Cody
TacoNH's Tacoma Gallery
when is a good time to change plugs and wires

I'm approaching 30k and my dealership has called me to say I'm due for my 30k servicing. Naturally I asked what they planned to do, oil change and my plugs and wires. Personally I think the truck is running in tip top shape, just changed the oil 2k ago. As for it being rather new I don't think the plugs and wires are in any worse shape then when it rolled off the showroom floor, not to mention plugs and wires is something I could do myself. Now the question, is it worth it to bring it to the dealership and have them do it for lots of cash or do it myself in like 10k when I might consider them needing to be changed. Also should I change my cap and distributor when I do the plugs and wires???
And whats a good brand of plugs and wires to put in?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
I've been wrong before, but I thought the plugs were due at 60K
Old 01-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I belive @ 30,000 miles, they only change the plugs. Not the wires. Change the plugs, and change the oil and filter, and you should be good.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
I just hit 32k and need to do the same thing. Just no time with the holidays and all. The 05+ repair manual says use NGK or Denso plugs. I don't have the part # right now, but I will put them up later. I researched all this stuff two weeks ago. you could go with some Irridiums of ether brand, but i was told by good people for best results get the Denso plugs the manual suggests. I will get that # up for you.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
1GRFE gets plugs at 30k. I switched mine out then with NGK's. They looked fine when I removed them but I knew I'd feel guilty if I didn't do it.
No wires-- coil on plug system..
Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
They are Iridium plugs. Changing them when your engine starts fine is a total waste of money, IMHO.
The 1gr-fe ( 4.0 V6) uses nickle plugs. They are recomended to be changed at 30,000 miles.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
They are Iridium plugs. Changing them when your engine starts fine is a total waste of money, IMHO.
That is not entirely correct. The 4cyl has Iridium plugs, the 6cly does not. OP has the 6cyl according to his profile. Those are rated for 30,000 miles.

If you tow or offroad or use 4WD, do the front and rear differential and transfer case oil.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
The plugs the repair manual suggesta are the Denso SK20HR11, or the
NGK 1LFR6C11. If you want to go Irridium you will have to look those up. I was looking for Irridium Densos, but Kragen, Napa, and Auto Zone did not carry them. They Had the NGK ones, but I have heared that the Denso runs better. Chris4x4 and Tacomaman06 are the guys that hooked me up with all this info. They pretty much know everything about our trucks.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
x2! If you use 4wd or Tow, service the Transmission, Transfercase and Diffs