1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any specific things on a 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SOSHeloPilot, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot [OP] My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    After all these years of owning various Toyotas and especially Tacomas ... I now have my first 4x4 Tacoma ... :D

I have been going over the manual and various threads on 4x4s and I wonder if there are any "words of wisdom on these 4x4s" ... kinda like the "Towing Bible" thread on TW

Any specific things to do or not do on these 4x4s ?? ... :confused:

PS ... The last 4x4 that I drove was a long time ago and had manual interior locking controls & wheel mounted locking hubs.

Thanks . . .

2. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Don't turn it on, on the pavement :D

Your front diff "drain" plug will most likely strip out eventually so buy a new one now and have a bolt welded to it, then replace the old one before it seizes.

Drive it in 4x4 (10) miles a month if you can. I make sure and go at least a 1 mile in 4L when doing this just to keep it oiled up by doing a little bit in each gear.

Lube up the front drive shaft.

Keep an eye on the CV boots for wear & tear.

That's about it for me.

3. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

lol...I took way longer.

I never shift into 4H on the fly :confused:

4. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Thanks ... you guys have given me some good "common sense" tips.

I just remembered that I had a AWD Subaru Wagon in the 1980s and I could shift it on the fly up to about 50 mph and I loved that thing.

The more tips here ... the better ... :D

5. Jul 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I know a couple local guys that have had electrical issues getting it to engage. One is going through a lemmon lawsuit with Toyota now due to it. Everyone's always amazed mine is OK, but I'm pretty sure thats due to usage.

6. Jul 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    Tommy27

Tommy27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Boise,ID
    Vehicle:
    White 09 AC 4x4 2.7 5spd SR5
    Leer shell, Bed mat, Grill Guard
    X runner with 4x4?

7. Jul 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

don't believe everything you read on the web :D

[​IMG]

8. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Gregg

Gregg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Magnetic Grey
    4 high under 50 mph, and I belive to shift into 4 low you must be stopped and in neutral. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And never, never use on dry pavement.

9. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    jhyoung

jhyoung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Telluride, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD 6spd Black on
    Basic work looking to improve on
    I have the 4.0L 6 speed and have found that the engaging disengaging of 4 LO can be a chore. In Neuteral with the clutch in seems to be the way.

The rear locking differential is sometimes even more of a trick. Anyone know the system?

10. Jul 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    One thing that I noticed for sure is: ... the 4x4 is not as peppy and the same truck in a 4x2 configuration.

Thanks for the other tips.

11. Jul 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Nope, definitely sucks down the power level. And the fuel level too. :(

One thing I have noticed with the Taco vs other older 4x4's I've owned, is how I needed to learn to let this truck do some of the stuff it was designed to. As mentioned above, the electronic crap can come in handy at times. I can take it easier sometimes with this truck and still get through stuff rather than horse it like I used to.

12. Jul 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    Gregg

Gregg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Magnetic Grey
    5 Zerks. 2 on front driveshaft, 3 on rear. Only difficult one if the one on the front driveshaft toward the front of the truck. All the others are easy to get to. There is a great write up on here on how to do it with pictures.

13. Jul 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    :laughing:

Exposed yourself! :D

14. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    The more you use it the easier it is to switch into 4wd. I switch into it every weekend at the launch and at one launch that Is full gravel I use 4-low and locker just to use it. Other than that you have to grease the zerks. The front shaft zerk next to the transfer case is a pain but once you get the right angle it's easier.

15. Jul 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Have noticed that 4x4 fuel consumption is at least 10% higher than the same truck in a 4x2 ... :eek:

16. Jul 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Extra equipment weight, extra parasitic power loss in the drivetrain.

Try lifting it, adding armor and larger tires, and regearing to a lower final drive ratio. Then you'll REALLY have fun at the pump.

17. Jul 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    ... ^^^ ... yep ... I can feel that it is a heavier truck.

18. Jul 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    2.7L FTMFW! :cool:

19. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I get about 33 highway myself. Just not in the taco.

20. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

You too.

Products Discussed in

To Top