Notices

Maint. Req. cause of intake

Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Nor*Cal
norcalbb11 has a spectacular aura aboutnorcalbb11 has a spectacular aura about

norcalbb11's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to norcalbb11 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalbb11
Maint. Req. cause of intake

Hey everyone, first of all hope everyone had a great new years and christmas, anyways i went to a mechanic the other day to talk about getting my lift done and all that and then we were just talking and he was talking about the intake and i told him that i have the airaid intake and he was like oh man i hope its not an oiled filter and of course it is and he said that it will make the engine light come on because of the oil getting in and to the sensor, so i would really like to find a dry filter that will go on my airaid so i dont have to go with the AFE pro dry cause i spent around 300 for my intake already so if anyone could help me that would be great, and if its easy to clean the intake and the sensor or whatever it would be cool to find out how to do that, thanks everyone!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
no worries norcal, what your mechanic was describing with the oiled filter only happens when the filter is over oiled. The TRD intake filter is even oiled. You should not have a problem with the airaid filter as is, factory oiled. When you do clean it just take precaution to not over spray with the recharge oil.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^X2

As long as it is not over oiled, you should be fine.

Whats the model number of the intake?

It is easy to clean the sensor. Simply remove it and spray it with this:

Some people use just regular electrical contact cleaner. Whats the difference between the two? No clue or than MAF cleaner is designed especially for the MAF sensor.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Nor*Cal

yeah i havnt even re-charged it yet so i know i did'nt over oil it and ive had the intake on for about 5,000 miles and it still looks new but so im not sure why the light came on, im not sure where the sensor is located.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
j0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

j0sh's Tacoma Gallery
i have had my afe intake on for close to 30k miles, and have yet to see any problems. like they said, just dont over oil it. usually after i oil mine i will take a paper towel and kinda of touch it around the filter to absorb any extra oil.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbb11 View Post
yeah i havnt even re-charged it yet so i know i did'nt over oil it and ive had the intake on for about 5,000 miles and it still looks new but so im not sure why the light came on, im not sure where the sensor is located.
the sensor is located on top of the factory intake box, Your airaid probably didnt come with the intake tube did it? If it is the airaid quick fit kit Part # 510-179 then your MAF sensor is still on the factory part still there, on the lift side directly under the engine cover.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Nor*Cal

well i know they took off the stock tube, i will have to look for the model number, i would really like to find a dry filter so i dont have to mess with the oil, the mechanic told me if i just clean the filter with soap and water and let it dry i could put a silk stalking over it and it acts like a dry filter and works great, anyone ever try that?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Nor*Cal

i meant stocking but you guys know what i mean haha, and ill check out the AEM filters and see if i can find one to fit, im guessing online is the best way to find one right?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
East Bound and Down

Quote:
i meant stocking but you guys know what i mean haha, and ill check out the AEM filters and see if i can find one to fit, im guessing online is the best way to find one right?
yep AEM has all their stand alone filters listed by size, just grab your Tape measure and get a few numbers from your current filter and you should be good to go. AEM Dry Flow
Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
Nor*Cal

very cool, so im guessing i still need to clean the sensor to get the maintanance required light to go off right?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
very cool, so im guessing i still need to clean the sensor to get the maintanance required light to go off right?
Don't confuse the check engine light with maintainance required which is for oil change intervals as opposed to sensor malfuntion.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Nor*Cal

yeah i was thinking the same thing, i am going to get my oil changed this week since i am getting close to needing it done, and if it turns off then all is well but still wanted to find a dry filter so it was a win win thread for me haha, thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah i was thinking the same thing, i am going to get my oil changed this week since i am getting close to needing it done, and if it turns off then all is well but still wanted to find a dry filter so it was a win win thread for me haha, thanks.
It doesn't just turn off you have to reset it. If you get your oil changed at the dealer they should do it for you. Instructions are in the owners manual.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
Nor*Cal

well i actually got my oil changed just now at this place i always go to and the light went off so ill see if it stays off, im not use to a light coming on when i need to change my oil
Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Don't confuse the check engine light with maintainance required which is for oil change intervals as opposed to sensor malfuntion.
Correct!

Quote:
Quote:
well i actually got my oil changed just now at this place i always go to and the light went off so ill see if it stays off, im not use to a light coming on when i need to change my oil
Read this. You have to manually turn off the Maint Req light. It is an idiot light to remind you that your oil needs changing.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If the light went off it is because the guy who changed it knew enough to reset it for you. Apparent ly he knew how to RTFM.