1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you deal with parking lot damage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by greyeyezz, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jul 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    greyeyezz

greyeyezz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    As in you witness someone scratching the side of your truck or bashing the door in?
    Call the cops? Get their license number? Confront them and say pay up?(which could end badly).

I live around some very inconsiderate folks who just don't care and I'm about fed up.

Buy a beater and park the Taco in the garage?

2. Jul 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    I would confront them and say you will be making a police report for them to pay for the damages. Take Lots of pictures and include the persons car in the pictures next to your truck. and get liscens plate numbers and what not.

Don't be aggressive about it though. And if you buy a pair of sliders, I have heard that protects from door dings and what not. I would think ones with side steps would offer a little more protection.

3. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I was in Cali and someone was nice enough to squeeze their awesome accord into a spot that wasn't big enough for it. The accord hit both the car in front of him and my bumper on my truck. Scratched my bumper, and dented the other cars rear bumper pretty bad. I wasn't able to fit a finger between his rear bumper and my front bumper he was that close to me and I could see some of his paint on my bumper.

I backed up, hooked up a chain and towed his ass right into the middle of the street, unhooked the chain and left. I didn't do any damage to his car at all, but he did get towed since his car was blocking traffic on a main road.

4. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    This could be a felony in Texas. Im sure it is against the law in AZ and CA. Id not publicly post criminal activity on public forums.

The correct course of action is to try to get their indurance info. If they refuse call the police. If they leave, follow them while on the ohone with 911. Fail to stop and give info is a crime in Texas... the police will arrest them once you they get to you if you call them and follow if they refuse to give insurance info.

5. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Only time I've witnessed was when I was in my previous car parked in front of Geno's in Philly and this chick tried parallel parking in front if me and backed right into me. Everyone in line heard it and looked she just got out looked at me in the drivers seat and then walked away like nothing happened. There was only a very minor scuff so I just let it go. Kinda wanted to smash her windshield in just for being a bitch and not even apologizing or saying anything.

6. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06
    take a picture of the damages- its worth more than a thousand words... and park on an empty lot if you can and avoid these careless people

7. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    I had my car at the time and I was sitting in it waiting and this van backs in beside me maybe 3 inches away (on my passenger side) opens the door and I heard the ding, I just opened my door said can you move your van over a bit and this time don't hit my door, so he moved it. Lucky there was no real damage but a paint stick would probably of fixed it. Then in the same car a woman backed out of a parking spot and hit my passenger side door and dented it in so bad you couldn't open it :(, got paid for by her though when parking lots here are supposed to be 50/50 at fault

8. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    plee33

plee33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Sacramento, CA.
    Vehicle:
    SWB TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    SnugTop SuperSport Shell, BedRug, OME Heavy Duty Lift Kit, Weathertech Liners, more to come....
    Call your insurance company. They will handle it.

9. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    brianv3ntura

brianv3ntura Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville FL
    Vehicle:
    MGM'12 Taco TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB 4.0L 5spd Auto
    Stock for now.
    Confront! I don't care who you are.

I'm always careful when I open my door because I always feel like someone is watching me.

10. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Man, I really gotta get me some sliders... :mad:

11. Jul 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    i was took chicken to say anything when one guy just slammed his door on his way into his car into my beater car, he looked at it and not noticing i was the owner of the vehicle when i walked up, tried to wipe the smudge away, he was putting his baby kid in the back seat. i felt bad, and it was my beater so i didnt care

12. Jul 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    jonatay

jonatay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    '19 Black DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4
    I wish people would just admit fault when they ding someone else's car, but unfortunately that isn't always the case. My 2012 already has 3 door dings and it really chaps my hide.

Before I got my Taco, I was at Walmart and as I was getting out of my car the wind caught my door and hit a brand new Mercedes. Nobody was around, but I wasn't about to just drive off. I wrote my name and number on a piece of paper and stated that I had dinged their car as I didn't want to leave all of my information on their windshield for anyone to get a hold of. As I was leaving, I see the lady walk up to put stuff in the trunk so I turned around to tell her about it in person. At that time I gave her my DL & insurance info as well. She was very appreciative that I owned up to it and was understanding due to the high winds. I left a mark that was about 1" by 4" as the shape of our doors matched up so well. Luckily she was able to take it to the shop and they were able to buff it out in just a couple minutes.

Either way, I feel everyone should just own up to it and move on. Mistakes do happen and most people are understanding of that, but if you try to act like it never it just makes people mad. I'm now one of the ones that parks way out back away from all of the other cars because people just don't care about other people's stuff.

13. Jul 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    A few years ago i saw a guy take his kid out of a shopping cart and let it roll while he was putting the kid inside. Hit my car. 1700 in damage! His home owners ins. Actually paid for it. Lucky, I saw him...

14. Jul 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I fuckin love this!

15. Jul 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    How do you get 1700 damage from a shopping cart. Armor plated cart doing 60 MPH? I think the bill was jacked up.

16. Jul 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    Tuctaco

Tuctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,

X2

17. Jul 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Good for you man. It amazes me why people try to shoehorn a car into a parking spot knowing dam well they're going to damage someone else's car. :mad:

18. Jul 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Some fuckwad did this to my wife's MDX last week. Didn't leave a note, nothing. Just left. They scraped along the drivers side rear quarter panel and door. She noticed it when she went out for her lunch. People like this should have their teeth kicked in. Not for doing it in this case. I can accept people make mistakes, but for taking off and not leaving their info.

19. Jul 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    sliders work most of the time.

[​IMG]

20. Jul 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB
    Excellent.

My dad pulled in to the parking lot in the SJ post office. Any way, my dad goes inside and when he's walking out some dildo is whacking his door into the side of my dad's car (2010 Honda) over and over like a crazed lunatic. My dad is elderly and a really really nice guy and calls out to the guy doing the whacking and asks him what he's doing? The guy yells back that my dad parked 'too close.' My dad says to the guy, 'so what, the spaces are small everyone is parked close to everyone no need to damage my car. I guess the guy had a moment of clarity and says for my dad to call the guys insurance and gives him all his information. My dad called the guys insurance and they paid him the quote for the damages. My dad didn't care about the dings and pocketed the cash...

If I woulda saw that guy doing that, I woulda lost it. There are so many fools in CA it's ridiculous, original home of the road rage...

Products Discussed in

To Top