Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No-Drill Rock Slider Options

Old 06-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
Actually, I guess I should have clarified...I want bolt on sliders, but ones that bolt up to existing holes. I don't want to drill or weld.
No drilling or welding while using only OEM holes means you'll end up with a set of sliders that won't be able to withstand any kind of punishment. The only OEM holes are on the side of the frame, which means no footing when something is pushing up on the slider. They'll be mainly for looks and stepping on with your foot and could even damage the factory holes, mess up the brake line inside the frame rail, and possibly bend that portion of frame since those holes are square and the ones that are round are going to be bigger than the bolt going through it. I spent hours trying to figure out how to bolt them on w/o drilling. Drilling on the bottom won't hurt a thing, the frame is thick and also 2 layers. These frames have very little to bolt to as far as good mounting points go...that's why drilling is necessary. So basically, no drill sliders won't be sliders, they'll be steps, a sheep in wolf's clothing.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #22
SUPERCHARGED!!!
gusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Greg
gusher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
No drilling or welding while using only OEM holes means you'll end up with a set of sliders that won't be able to withstand any kind of punishment. The only OEM holes are on the side of the frame, which means no footing when something is pushing up on the slider. They'll be mainly for looks and stepping on with your foot and could even damage the factory holes, mess up the brake line inside the frame rail, and possibly bend that portion of frame since those holes are square and the ones that are round are going to be bigger than the bolt going through it. I spent hours trying to figure out how to bolt them on w/o drilling. Drilling on the bottom won't hurt a thing, the frame is thick and also 2 layers. These frames have very little to bolt to as far as good mounting points go...that's why drilling is necessary. So basically, no drill sliders won't be sliders, they'll be steps, a sheep in wolf's clothing.
Are there any warranty implications when you drill holes in the frame???
Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #23
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
Avid offraod makes a few bolt on or weld on sliders, here is the link:

http://avidoffroad.infusionsoft.com/go/avid/jusmac34
Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 AM   #24
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
I can speak from a Shrockworks owners perspective.

I have only 2 regrets - One that I didn't get sliders with kickouts! - I have 2 rear doors that have trail rash that could have been saved if I had some substantial kick outs; far more damage, dollarwise than most any of these sliders cost!

The other regret is that I failed to drill and bolt down the hole in front drivers side. The other week my front end dropped off a ledge that caused the slider to flex slightly and put a small dent in my rocker. So, if you get bolt ons, DO NOT LEAVE THE DRIVEWAY WITHOUT INSTALLING EVERY BOLT!!!

Call me a geek but I don't like the idea of spot heat treating (welding) a thin, non-boxed frame that is designed to be a balance of strength, flexibility, and lightness. Frames today are heat treated to a spec that lives up to the design parameters for all of these characterics prior to welding and maybe after welding (more than likely you will never have any problem other than not being able to remove and replace with out the use of a welder)!

Many manufactures only want you to weld on your sliders and there is some merit to them as well - for example All Pro wants to give you as much clearance in the height and somewhat less clearance in the width. A great design principle. They also prefer you to weld - I can understand that from their perspective. Their design will probably keep more of your sheet metal in tact.

Regarding warranty, if you want minimum hassles from a stealer, do nothing other than wash your truck and take it to the stealer for every bit of maintenance work. I on the other hand may be silly but unless I blow a motor or a trans, they probably will not see me and my truck ever again. I realize I am an exception to the rule.

The real deal is that, technically, they would need to prove that the drilled hole caused the intermittent windshield to fail. On the other hand if you had a rusted out frame due to the welding of your sliders, or from the drilled holes from your sliders (which would be silly), your claim may be rejected.

The biggest problem right now is that most service writers are trained to ask if the vehicle has been modified - to reduce the overall warranty costs back to Toyota. There are a few dealers that turn their head so that they improve their bottom line since warranty work brings them some nice reimbursements from Toyota.

Good luck on your choice and I think if you follow the instructions of any of the major suppliers of rock sliders, you will be fine.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #25
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Did everyone forget the CBI brand...they even sell the Bolt-on kit for those that make their own "rails" but need to attach by bolting on....

Now that being said KMS will also be making bolt-ons for those living on the East Coast,New England area especially....My '02 Tacoma will be used as the "Mock-up" and will recieve the 1st set for 1st Gen....anyone with a 2nd Gen looking and available for a "Mock-up"???
Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #26
mach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
mach1man001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
Did everyone forget the CBI brand...they even sell the Bolt-on kit for those that make their own "rails" but need to attach by bolting on....

Now that being said KMS will also be making bolt-ons for those living on the East Coast,New England area especially....My '02 Tacoma will be used as the "Mock-up" and will recieve the 1st set for 1st Gen....anyone with a 2nd Gen looking and available for a "Mock-up"???

What's involved in this? I might be interested.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #27
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
Actually, I guess I should have clarified...I want bolt on sliders, but ones that bolt up to existing holes. I don't want to drill or weld.
all the bolt on will require you to drill some holes. or you can do what i'm going to do with mine when i get them. bolt on all pre existing holes and weld one of the support.