1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaky leaf springs - my fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NetMonkey, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Jul 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    so after an off-road trip out here in MA (where there was lots of mud), i developed a crazy case of squeaky leaf springs.

it was getting so bad that any little movement of the truck would make the leafs squeak. you could hear the truck coming from down the block.

here is what they sounded like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN0V7leStFA

i figured that the mud i went through was packed in between the leafs and that cleaning it out would quiet them. so i jacked up the truck, separated the leafs, and used compressed air, water, and towels to clean in between the leafs. i then coated the leafs with a silicone spray. i reassembled everything...... and...... it didnt do a damn thing! still fricken squeaky!!

so then i searched the trusty tacoma world site and found this thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/98055-diy-squeaky-leaf-fix.html
    well... its a cheap fix and worth a try....

so.. instead of an inner tube, i went to target got a thin, rubber mat ($10).
    [​IMG]

next, i jacked up the truck, unbolted the brake cables to give some room to work, and searched for the location of the squeak:
    [​IMG]

it sounded like it was coming from the add a leafs. the pad was worn down to the metal and the leafs were rubbing there:
    [​IMG]

i used a hammer to wedge a crow bar in between the leafs and i pried them open:
    [​IMG]

i cut a strip of the rubber mat, folded it in half, and inserted it in between the leafs:
    [​IMG]

i jacked the truck up off of the jack stands and rocked the suspension... and..... what? still squeaky? wtf? ok, so then i isolated more areas that were squeaking and repeated the process.

was squeaking here:
    [​IMG]

squeaking here:
    [​IMG]

oh ya... squeaking on the back of the leafs:
    [​IMG]

and here:
    [​IMG]

and finally here:
    [​IMG]

holy crap... it was squeaking at 6 points.

so, i did the other side... and ..... no more squeaking!! yay :)

here is what it sounds like now. the slight sound that you hear is the shock compressing, but thats minor compared to what it was:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T0WE3c-ZjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vya6qlOJm_s

when the weight of the truck is on the springs, the gaps between the leafs go away and the rubber pieces are in there very tight. i will continue to monitor them.

2. Jul 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    nice fix! Mine a squeaking also. Maybe I'll try this

3. Jul 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    Very nice, my squeaks completely went away with my aal but when it comes back I'm doing this, but I'm going to use glue.

4. Nov 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    these springs are crap....you'd think after years of this toyota would say"hey we have a problem" and do something to fix it

5. Jan 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    jrh95

jrh95 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner V6 SR5
    Westin Safari Light Bar, KC Daylighters, Alpine Head Unit and Speakers, LED Light System in the Bed, Pioneer 12in Sub
    I need to try this. Mine squeak like crazy. I've gone through who knows how many cans of silicone spray and lithium grease and I've also jacked the truck up and cleaned between the leafs. The squeak comes and goes as if my suspension has mood swings. I'll try this soon and hopefully it works.

6. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    Yes this is a great fix for the squeaky leafs. Takes about 15 min of your time for silence down the road.

7. Apr 11, 2022 at 7:14 AM
    mchabot1987

mchabot1987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Sport DCLB
    Yes
    Just did this. Thank you for a simple write up. Squeaking gone. Lol

Products Discussed in

To Top