Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

factory usb won't charge a blackberry

Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
gwos25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gwos25's Tacoma Gallery
factory usb won't charge a blackberry

Just discovered that the factory usb port in mu 2012 won't charge my phone. Is it just mine? Whgo through the trouble of having a usb port if its not capable of charging a phone?I have 400w 120v sc in the bed ill never use, thanks for thay tho.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
kapolani is on a distinguished road
Navy: HM2 Hooyah 195!
kapolani's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure the usb port is only for input with your phone/player etc.

It's not a charging port.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Sheesh.. at least you have a USB port
Get one of those cheapie 12v-to-USB units that plugs in your 12v socket and away ya go.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwos25 View Post
Just discovered that the factory usb port in mu 2012 won't charge my phone. Is it just mine? Whgo through the trouble of having a usb port if its not capable of charging a phone?I have 400w 120v sc in the bed ill never use, thanks for thay tho.
Not sure but juice from blackberry will stain dash and be hard to remove. You may want to stay away from stuffign fruits in you dashboards
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
pdrunk is on a distinguished road
pdrunk's Tacoma Gallery
Charges my iphone just fine. Maybe try another device and see if it charges that?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
On my aftermarket radio you can charge any phone via usb. BUT that's only if you have usb selected as your audio source.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Might be a bad usb cable. Try another one maybe
Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Charges my iphone or my ipod.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
gwos25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gwos25's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, thanks for the feedback. Ill give it a try with the wifes htc and see what happens. I have one of the cig lighter to usb adapters, but was looking forward to not having the big wart sticking out of the dash. Thanks for the link too, i ordered a similar one from ebay so i could intstall a 12v plug and the small usb in the cubby hole on my motorcycle. Hope it puts out enough current to charge. Cheers.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwos25 View Post
Just discovered that the factory usb port in mu 2012 won't charge my phone. Is it just mine?
you are the only person with a blackberry, so yes.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
MBTacoma12 is on a distinguished road
MBTacoma12's Tacoma Gallery
My 2011 300 doesn't charge it either, haven't tried in my Tacoma yet.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
not true i haz one too.....
wish i had a usb port in mine
Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #14
bigbass30 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
bigbass30's Tacoma Gallery
usb

My 2012 usb charges my iphone as soon as I plug it in.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
All you blackberry-ers need to get with the times and get an iPhone or droid!!!!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I still have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
not true i haz one too.....
wish i had a usb port in mine
Me too.. to both of your statements.

Quote:
All you blackberry-ers need to get with the times and get an iPhone or droid!!!!
7 months left on the Blackberry.. then its gone. If not sooner. That Samsung Galaxy S3 looks sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
People still have blackberries? iPhone ftw.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
Could be the cord. Have you used the same cord to charge it from other sources? Also, are you using it while it is being charged? My old Pioneer would charge very very very s-l-o-w-l-y if I used my phone while charging. I didn't think it was charging at all until I used it on a four hour drive one day. I always use a car charger now for that reason.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
NVTacoma is on a distinguished road
NVTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
blackberrys require more power to charge. I don't really know the technical points behind it but my blackberry would only charge when I used the aftermarket head unit USB input. I had a cigarette lighter USB converter that wouldn't charge it but worked fine with my Iphone.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
PaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PaintDrinkingPete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTacoma View Post
blackberrys require more power to charge. I don't really know the technical points behind it but my blackberry would only charge when I used the aftermarket head unit USB input. I had a cigarette lighter USB converter that wouldn't charge it but worked fine with my Iphone.
Most USB power adapters devices I've come across (if not all?) have 5V output, but the amps can vary. The standard BB charger is 5V at 800 mA I believe, whereas my Android phone's power adapter is 5V at 1 amp...but it will still work with my old BlackBerry charger, just takes a little longer to charge.

Many of the micro-USB car chargers I've come across only output 500 mA...which is why some devices while running GPS navigation (for example) will actually still lose power even while plugged into them -- because they are only getting about 1/2 the power they do from their standard wall charger.

Not sure if some devices have a minimum threshold before they'll start charging, but I've found that compared to iPhones or Android devices, BlackBerry power adapters actually supply less juice.