Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Horn Relocate: Here's Another way

Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Horn Relocate: Here's Another way

Another way to relocate your horns.

I needed to free up space behind the grille for the hidden winch I will be installing. I didn't want to move them behind the fuse box, since I might install the winch control box there.

STEP 1: Disconnect the battery.

STEP 2: Remove the grille.

STEP 3: Unplug and remove the (2) horns & unplug the sensor from the middle pillar.

STEP 4: Undo all the retaining clips from the wire-loom. You can re-use the locking clips (Zip-Tie style) by prying up the lock tab with a small flat-head. Strip off all the tape and conduit up to the battery/headlight area.

STEP 5: Separate the Sensor wire from the (2) Horn wires (Light Gray and Dark Gray).

STEP 6: Cut the (2) Horn wires and strip the ends off each.

STEP 7: Mount the horns.

Here's where I decided to mount each horn.

Driver's Side: Next to the radiator

Passenger Side: Next to the radiator

I used the factory holes to run a bolt, lock-washer, washer, washer, then nut to hold the horns.

Here are the holes I used:

Driver's Side

Passenger Side

I loosened the bracket on each horn so I could position them where I wanted, then tightened it back up. After they were where I wanted, I tightened the nut on each of the bolts.

Here's what they look like mounted.

Driver's Side:

Passenger Side:

STEP 8: I measured a length of wire to the passenger side horn, and soldered it to the Light Gray wire and plug. I trimmed the excess length of wire from the Dark Gray wire and soldered it back to the plug. I used heat-shrink tubing on each of the solder joints, and wrapped the whole thing with conduit and electrical tape.

I used a Zip-Tie on this hole to keep the conduit tucked up (there was another hole to use, but didn't want to sacrifice it in case I used it in the future)

STEP 9: Plug everything back in and re-connect your battery and honk your horn. Have a beer to celebrate another successful mod.

FINISHED PRODUCT
:

Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Very professional
Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Good job, I used the driver side hole you used for my retro relays.