1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Missing leaf spring clamps

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by USNavyTaco, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    USNavyTaco

USNavyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma prerunner sr5 with mods
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    So here it is:

I had my leaf spring tsb done over a year ago. Now, when i went out today to give those damn squeeky leafs a good ol coating of lithium grease, I noticed that my passenger side has 2 leaf spring clamps on the springs, 2 forward of the main axle assembly, and 2 behind it. NOW, ON THE DRIVER SIDE, I only have 1 forward of the main axle assembly, and one aft. My question is, Did I somehow lose them? Were they never installed and I just didnt notice? Could this cause problems, and If so, should I order a set of bolt on clamps online. Thanks.

2. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Are both packs 3 leaves + overload for a total of 4 leaves?

3. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I just went out and checked for you.
    I did the TSB and yes both sides have the same amount of clamps. 2 in front and 2 in back. Mmmmmmmm

4. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    Ive recounted em many a time now that ive noticed this. Its dark out so I cant take a picture now. But definitely 2 less on driver side. And these are the tsb leaf packs.

5. Jul 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:

So Ive seen online bolt on clamps for about 12 bucks a set. Should I just order 2, grab a wrench and call it a day?

6. Jul 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    If it was more recent since the repair I would have taken it back. But over a year it will be hard to justify a course of action from the dealer. I would like to see some pics but like others have said you would have to be serious about removing the clamps. You have a pic of the clamps your want to use ????

7. Jul 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    Jcwhitney has mr gasket bolt on clamps for 12 bucks a set. I was gonna use those? I live in a barracks and don't have access to tools such as a torch for forming my own clamps.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/leaf-spring-clamps/p2031546.jcwx?filterid=c11322d2193u0j1

The install was done in April of last year. Just checked my records. Its not like I could go back to my dealer anyway. I'm stationed in south Carolina now, my dealer who did the install is in new jersey

8. Jul 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for not getting right back to you. 4am comes early.
    The clamps as you call them are really guides. They are attached to the bottom part of the springs and wrap around to keep them in line. If you were to clamp them down tight then you would change the parameters of the spring. If you have the "clamps" closest to the spring center still there then I would let them go for now. If the most rear one is there and not the one closer to the spring center then I suppose that middle spring could tweak. But I would really like to see a pic of it so can give you a better answer.
    BTW I'm laying under my truck typing this on my I Pad hehehehehe

9. Sep 14, 2016 at 8:36 PM
    kjkroll83

kjkroll83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do you know where you can buy these guides?

10. Sep 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    They are riveted to the leaf.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top