1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Almost bought a new 2012 today...rear leaf TSB question?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Larry, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Jul 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Had my truck in for service: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...-done-your-tacoma-today-1022.html#post5392012

and spotted a gorgeous 2012 dc TRD off road 4x4 in silver...loaded with nice wheels/tires and cool "predator" step bars. yeah, they look like the heavy "sliders" you guys who rock crawl have...but are not. but still look awesome on the truck.

Question I have for you all, is about the rear leafs...

seems, the TRD Sport, and the SR5 now come from the factory w/ the 4 leaf pack. however, the TRD off road comes with a "newly engineered" 3 leaf pack.

It was explained that the reason is, the off road is designed for more travel in rock, hole, and stump type conditions. the 4 leaf pack is not. And was told there is no rear leaf TSB for the 2012 model.

My problem/question is...if I was to buy this truck, how would it perform with a trailerd boat. My 2010 SR5 sagged with my small skiff before the TSB 4-leaf was done. Is the "newly engineered" 3-leaf gonna sag from trailer tounge weight?

I'd hate to buy a new truck only to find this out the hard way.

Maybe I should just forget the new truck and concentrate on a new skiff (sold my Maverick and want another, or a Hewes). but damn...that new 2012 front end looks nice, and those wheels and BFG's are nice too. not to mention the interior upgrades (sat. radio, seats, blue-tooth)

Please share what info/knowledge you may have on this subject. TIA

2. Jul 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    probably because most Tacoma buyers are grocery getter's...SUV's with an open bed.

and the hard core of road guys do their own builds.

I believe Toyota fails to realize how many guys buy these trucks to do "truck" duty.

3. Jul 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    AMG4LIFE

AMG4LIFE Honey Badger Don't Care

Member:
    First Name:
    Honey Badger
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Off Road, JBL Entune
    2013 4x4 Off Road, Icon S2 Modular Kit, Icon Omega Double Bypass's Front & Rear, Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs with 700lb Springs, Icon Rear Hydro Bumps, AllPro Leaf Pack, Limit Strapped Rear Axle, AllPro Rear Bumper With Side Rock Guards & Flush Mounted Lights, Pelfreybilt Front Bumper, Pelfreybilt Skids, Pelfreybilt Sliders With Kick Out, Pelfreybilt 4 Tab Bed Bar With Rear Facing LED Dust Lights, Warren 9500 Wench, Rigid SR20, Rigid Duellys, Hood Hinge Mounted LED Lights, Best Top Soft Top, TRD Exhaust, HID Head Lights, Addict Rims, 295/70/17 NittoTrail Grappler Tires, Color Matched Grill, Tint.
    I towed my boat that weights 6,000lbs and it didn't sag at all, I was very impressed!

4. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    After. His lift was installed at 0 miles at the dealership. Only thing in the rear are 2" blocks.

5. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    that's encouraging...seeing how the TSB rear springs were $1800.00 on my 2010 SR5. Thanks Toyota. :D

6. Jul 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    I have the Off Road 2012 in DCSB, all I can say test drive before you buy (and test drive it a lot) to make sure you don't have the take off vibration many of us 2012's have from 5 to 25mph. You won't be towing anything with the load vibration.

Products Discussed in

To Top