Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Almost bought a new 2012 today...rear leaf TSB question?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Almost bought a new 2012 today...rear leaf TSB question?

Had my truck in for service: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5392012

and spotted a gorgeous 2012 dc TRD off road 4x4 in silver...loaded with nice wheels/tires and cool "predator" step bars. yeah, they look like the heavy "sliders" you guys who rock crawl have...but are not. but still look awesome on the truck.

Question I have for you all, is about the rear leafs...

seems, the TRD Sport, and the SR5 now come from the factory w/ the 4 leaf pack. however, the TRD off road comes with a "newly engineered" 3 leaf pack.

It was explained that the reason is, the off road is designed for more travel in rock, hole, and stump type conditions. the 4 leaf pack is not. And was told there is no rear leaf TSB for the 2012 model.

My problem/question is...if I was to buy this truck, how would it perform with a trailerd boat. My 2010 SR5 sagged with my small skiff before the TSB 4-leaf was done. Is the "newly engineered" 3-leaf gonna sag from trailer tounge weight?

I'd hate to buy a new truck only to find this out the hard way.

Maybe I should just forget the new truck and concentrate on a new skiff (sold my Maverick and want another, or a Hewes). but damn...that new 2012 front end looks nice, and those wheels and BFG's are nice too. not to mention the interior upgrades (sat. radio, seats, blue-tooth)

Please share what info/knowledge you may have on this subject. TIA
Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
toyota just cant get their shit together on the rear suspension....its been 7yrs now
probably because most Tacoma buyers are grocery getter's...SUV's with an open bed.

and the hard core of road guys do their own builds.

I believe Toyota fails to realize how many guys buy these trucks to do "truck" duty.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
My 2012 sags with my cap and minimal camping equip. Dealer will add a leaf for $300. Fyi
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
My 2012 sags with my cap and minimal camping equip. Dealer will add a leaf for $300. Fyi
that's encouraging...seeing how the TSB rear springs were $1800.00 on my 2010 SR5. Thanks Toyota.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
MotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura aboutMotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura aboutMotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura about
Name: Austin
MotorsportsAustin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Had my truck in for service: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5392012

and spotted a gorgeous 2012 dc TRD off road 4x4 in silver...loaded with nice wheels/tires and cool "predator" step bars. yeah, they look like the heavy "sliders" you guys who rock crawl have...but are not. but still look awesome on the truck.

Question I have for you all, is about the rear leafs...

seems, the TRD Sport, and the SR5 now come from the factory w/ the 4 leaf pack. however, the TRD off road comes with a "newly engineered" 3 leaf pack.

It was explained that the reason is, the off road is designed for more travel in rock, hole, and stump type conditions. the 4 leaf pack is not. And was told there is no rear leaf TSB for the 2012 model.

My problem/question is...if I was to buy this truck, how would it perform with a trailerd boat. My 2010 SR5 sagged with my small skiff before the TSB 4-leaf was done. Is the "newly engineered" 3-leaf gonna sag from trailer tounge weight?

I'd hate to buy a new truck only to find this out the hard way.

Maybe I should just forget the new truck and concentrate on a new skiff (sold my Maverick and want another, or a Hewes). but damn...that new 2012 front end looks nice, and those wheels and BFG's are nice too. not to mention the interior upgrades (sat. radio, seats, blue-tooth)

Please share what info/knowledge you may have on this subject. TIA
I have the Off Road 2012 in DCSB, all I can say test drive before you buy (and test drive it a lot) to make sure you don't have the take off vibration many of us 2012's have from 5 to 25mph. You won't be towing anything with the load vibration.