Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thunk after stopping

Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #21
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Torqued my leaf springs ubolt to 73ft lbs and the thunk is still there. I'm starting to think it's either something with the brake system or the tranny. Damn stealership wants $150 to diagnose.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #22
Slow lane cruiser
Bandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: USAF Firefighter gone legit
Name: Another Matt
Bandit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
Torqued my leaf springs ubolt to 73ft lbs and the thunk is still there. I'm starting to think it's either something with the brake system or the tranny. Damn stealership wants $150 to diagnose.
Like I said before... It could very well be axle wrap. I had it bad until I did my Add A Leaf. If you just want a warm and fuzzy feeling, attach a video camera under your truck and video tape a couple stops at various speeds. If its axle wrap you would probably be able to see it.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #24
GPV Helicopters inc
Hellomoto is on a distinguished road
Hellomoto's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it too sometimes. I'm not worried so I'll leave it alone.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #25
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
Torqued my leaf springs ubolt to 73ft lbs and the thunk is still there. I'm starting to think it's either something with the brake system or the tranny.
It's axle wrap...likely the slip yoke in the driveshaft binding as the rear axle flexes. Torquing the u-bolts won't help...that does nothing to change the stiffness of the leaf spring.

You can try some spring clamps next. They're about $20 or so for a pair. Again, traction bar is the 100% complete fix.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #27
payrow is on a distinguished road

Name: Pete
payrow's Tacoma Gallery
My truck makes the same noise! 2009 DBL cab with 36K miles on it. I have been going crazy trying to figure out what that noise is! I'm going to try torquing down the U-bolts as other have said and hope that get's rid of the noise. If not I'm gonna try the spring clamps.