1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission shifts hard into second.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toyota Tacoma, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jul 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Hey guys,

My truck is shifting hard from first to second under medium load. If i punch it, it feels smooth, or if I accelerate very gently it feels smooth. Under normal acceleration it shifts hard. Can really feel it drop into gear.

The transmission feels good in all other gears but clunks a bit when I shift into drive/reverse and downshifts are noticeable.

Its a 2007 dbl cab long box. 95,000 km

Anyone else have this problem or have any idea what it could be?

Its going into the transmission shop tomorrow for diagnosis. I have not touched the drive train other than greasing u-joints (which are all good)

2. Jul 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM
    CayucosTacoma

CayucosTacoma Just think outside the Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Luis Obispo/San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 4x4
    Specs in the Build Thread
    #automatic problems :D

Haha sorry couldn't help myself. Anyways good luck with an answer

3. Jul 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    OP, I have the same problem with my automatic trans. I'm gonna get a Drain and Fill done soon and will update on this. Let me know what the transmission shop says. Thanks

4. Jul 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Damn you!

Will do, I spoke with the owner of the shop and turns out he has the same truck. He seems interested in what it could be as well so I hope the report will be good.

5. Jul 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    So they took a look and couldn't find anything wrong and changed the fluid. He said to drive it for a while with new fluid and see how it is.

6. Jul 17, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Did you notice any difference on the way home?

7. Jul 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    No not really, maybe a little smoother in other gears but still hard into 3rd.

8. Jul 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Did they change the filter too or just the fluid?

9. Jul 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    I believe just fluid, the filter was done not too long ago.

10. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    So if the filter was done not too long ago, the fluid was recent as well. Did you tell the shop that? Maybe a waste of money to drain and fill if it were done lately. Hmmm... Have you called and talked to another shop or even Toyota to find out the possibilities?

11. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Update: its been about a month since fluid change and the problem still exists, has not gotten any better or worse.

Went in today and talked to the other brother, (also a very nice guy) and we went over the possibilities as well as my new stereo lol

Will be going in on Tuesday to check the valve body and 2nd to 3rd solenoid.

12. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    Thanks for the update.

13. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Did you get the brake override ECU firmware upgrade? It also rolled up shift logic revisions from a couple of previous TSBs.

14. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Are you kidding me? Manuals have ten times the problems of the automatics :D :D

FWIW bud, I have had a similar issue with 2nd gear but only on extremely rare occasions. Have you done alot of offroading? Towing?

15. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    No I have not, didnt even know that existed :eek: I will mention it to the shop when I go in. thanks for the tip.

I only off road the truck when I go atving or camping (twice a month at most) but when I bought the truck the suspension was shot so I'm guessing the previous owner took it in the dirt a number of times.

16. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Didn't you get the letter from Toyota to get the gas pedal trimmed? The ECU flash should have happened in the same visit.

17. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    PhantomVirus

PhantomVirus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    People's Republic of NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White TRD OffRoad Double Cab
    Don't steal my tailgate Mod, Hardwired Valentine1 Radar Detector, Smitty N-FAB Nerf Bars, Led lights (Maps, overhead & rear License Plate), Debadged, TRD rim center covers, Replaced Chrome Grill with OEM Super White, PlastiDipped Toyota Logo on Grill BLACK, Distinct Offroad Custom light bar
    When I was researching and test driving Tacos - the SPORT 2012 had this issue (at least the one I test drove) and my O/R 2012 does not seem to have this issue.

I wish I could give you a better answer but this was my experience.

18. Aug 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Do you do a lot of city driving? 1st and 2nd gears are the most commonly used in the city with all of the stop lights/signs. So they could just be acting up due to wear and tear.

19. Dec 17, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    VIPNiSS

VIPNiSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    im having this same issue.. did you ever figure out the issue?

20. Mar 7, 2020 at 1:28 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    Any information on this? Does this apply to 2008 models?

Any updates?

This, I have a 2008 that's had a hard 1-2 shift forever. Had it from 70k miles to currently 120k miles. Have cleaned the throttle body and maf a few times, flushed all of the tranny fluid. Trying to find a fix to this.

My truck only shifts hard 1-2 during regular stop and go traffic acceleration speeds. Push really soft and it shifts smooth, push really hard and it shifts smooth, when towing it shifts smooth, if it's around freezing outside, it shifts really smooth till it warms up under all circumstances. But when you press the throttle "normally" it has a rough 1-2 upshift only.

I was suspecting a dead spot in the trottle position sensor, but it appears that it's built into the throttle body as a single piece on these new drive by wire vehicles. That makes it quite a bit more expensive to just blindly throw parts at the problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top