1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help Again...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by A_Ninja_Racer, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jul 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    Hello All, After getting my truck back from the mechanic because of my truck not starting (a plug came loose in the kick panel that goes to the ECU) I basically drove it home and parked it because I drive my celica most of the time. I tried to go some where in it on Saturday and the battery was all but dead. So I got out my trusty charger and hooked it up. It took almost all day for it to charge. Now I have one of those digital "shoemaker battery chargers" and in the past it has done a great job of telling me if batteries were bad. This time it didn't. I took the truck for a quick drive to the grocery store grabbed some Ice Cream and when I came back out and started up the truck I could tell that it struggled a little bit to start. I parked it again because I was busy and today I went to start it up and run it over to the auto parts store to have them test the battery but again the battery is all but dead. I have it on the charger again but I was wondering if there is a way to tell if there is something leaching a current off my battery while the truck is off? The Battery was running strong before I had it in the shop and when I charge it up the indicator is still green on the battery making that 2 things that aren't indicating a bad battery (the indicator and the digital charger). Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Jul 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    take off the battery terminal connections, and clean them really well.

3. Jul 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    They are immaculate. every Oil change I spray them with terminal cleaner and then terminal protectant.

4. Jul 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The first step is to check the connections. Take them off, make sure there is a sound connection at the battery. Otherwise, you can end up chasing a ghost.

5. Jul 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Theirs absolutely no corrosion the terminals are clean I keep my under hold very clean every time I wash my truck I clean the engine bay with degreaser.

6. Jul 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) I believe that what Chris is trying to tell you is that a way to see if there is a drain on electrical system is to remove either the positive or negative terminal. When you remove the terminal connector if it sparks when you remove it, you have a circuit draining your battery. See if you see or hear any sparking when you remove your battery terminal connectors and it will help tell you your problem. Good Luck.

7. Jul 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Just because the terminals are nice and clean on the outside, does not mean they are making a good connection. Spend the five minutes to take them APART, regardless of how they appear, clean the inside of the clamps and the posts to bright, clean metal, then re-assemble snugly. If that doesn't solve the issue, then let us know, and we will continue.

8. Jul 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    :)

9. Jul 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Get the battery tested while you take off the terminals to see if they are clean.

Drop off the battery at the parts store and tell them to give it the long test to verify if it is a bad battery. You have another car so it is no big deal.

Before you spend time trying to locate a voltage draw you need to rule out the basics.

10. Jul 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    landphil

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Its almost like someone said that before. :rolleyes:;)

11. Jul 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Tripletpkc

Tripletpkc Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Red DBL Cab Prerunner
    Sounds like you may have a bad alternator; it's draining your battery. Have it checked

12. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:25 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    The Truck was only driven for maybe an entire minute even if the alternator was bad that wouldn't be enough to kill a battery that was just completely charged.

***Edit - Unless there is some other underlying condition such as a bad cell in the battery.

13. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    This morning I took the terminals loose and cleaned the terminals and posts not more then surface dust came off. I reattached them and put the charger back on. We will see whats up when I get home from work.

14. Jul 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    So I got home and once again the Battery was dead. Indicator ion the battery is still green but this time the charger reported the battery as bad. Hypothetically if there was something leaching off the battery while it was charging could that fool the charger into thinking there was something wrong with the battery. I restarted the charger and and this time disconnected the neg Terminal to see what results I get. let me know what you think?

15. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Ok So Battery came up bad while charging it with the neg Terminal Disco'd so I went and spent the $110.00 for a new Battery. I threw it on the charger just a few minutes ago and we will see how it holds up.

16. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    landphil

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Since you are getting the green eye on that one cell, it shouldn't be discharged, but that doesn't mean its not sulfated, has a shorted cell, or an open in the buss bar. Glad yer up and running again.

17. Jul 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    While we're waiting for the results with the new battery, do you have you any powered accessories that may be causing a parasitic draw?

Also, are you sure your mechanic just plugged it back in? Was there any electrical work done on it that may cause an accidental short? Even the basic things on a car that always need power like the clocks and immobilizers and things will draw way too much power if there is a short in the system somewhere, thus resulting a quickly dead battery.

18. Jul 19, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    And this is why I ask the original question from the beginning. While they told me all they did was connect the plug back and it started working I know they were looking and disconnecting other things trying to figure out what the issue could be and that's why I feared it wasn't the battery to begin with.

On a second note I took the charger off last night after it was finished topping it off and let it sit over night. This morning it started up pretty quick. I guess we will see what happens after it sits for a full week. I usually drive my car all week and then take the truck out on the weekends.

19. Jul 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Report back to us what you find after a week. If the battery is dead, I'd take the truck and the receipt for the new battery to the shop who did the work for you and tell them to find where they shorted it out and pay for the new battery.

20. Jul 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    was the old battery 4 years old?

Products Discussed in

To Top