Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is there a shell that can support a RTT +2 people?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
pbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura about

Name: Colton
pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a shell that can support a RTT +2 people?

Pretty self explanatory. All I've seen so far are the commercial campers rated for 400lbs. After the 120lbs for the tent itself, it would be close having both my girlfriend and I up there, not to mention the rack needed to hold it.

Definitely don't want to spend 5k on a flippac
Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
TakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
TakDwn's Tacoma Gallery
The only caps I looked into was made by LEER. I have the brochure here...
Models 100RCC and 180CC have a max weight limit of 400 lbs.
I don't know how heavy your roof mount tent or the size of the two of you, but I imagine you'll be very close to limit.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
pbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura about

Name: Colton
pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that's the problem. I dont have a tent yet but most seem to be ~120lbs. 180 for me and 120 for the gf and thats 420lbs. another ~20 for the rack and its 440.

Wish they made one that could hold 500. I'd be all over it
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcolt View Post
Yeah that's the problem. I dont have a tent yet but most seem to be ~120lbs. 180 for me and 120 for the gf and thats 420lbs. another ~20 for the rack and its 440.

Wish they made one that could hold 500. I'd be all over it
I don't think it would be a problem , pm TW member Bobbb , he got a LEER 100RCC for a RTT set up
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
TakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
TakDwn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I don't think it would be a problem , pm TW member Bobbb , he got a LEER 100RCC for a RTT set up
OZ, the brochure I have here from LEER (2011) states "400 lbs" as max for the 100RCC. Do you know if Bobbb did anything additional to support more weight?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakDwn View Post
OZ, the brochure I have here from LEER (2011) states "400 lbs" as max for the 100RCC. Do you know if Bobbb did anything additional to support more weight?
I realize the rating is 400 lbs , I don't believe he did any additional steps to his
Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You could also do something along these lines

Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
Fwiw, I've got a SnugTop fiberglass shell that I've been able to load up with close to 500# and still take it deep off road, where the bouncing around from the terrain made the weight close to 800# at times. No problems at all. And that's with making my own mounts for the rack (used Yakima raingutter towers that I disassembled and mounted directly to the shell roof, rails running the length of the truck rather than cross-wise).

Oz- where did you find that bed-mount rack? I mean, I've seen plenty of different ones around here that look good, but nothing quite like that one. Also, I've heard from one of the rack shops in the area that the composite bed distorts over time when using a bed-mount rack
Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post

Oz- where did you find that bed-mount rack? I mean, I've seen plenty of different ones around here that look good, but nothing quite like that one. Also, I've heard from one of the rack shops in the area that the composite bed distorts over time when using a bed-mount rack
It's a local guy where I live , he is a carpenter and had it custom fabbed .

The bedsides would only distort by spreading I would think .
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You could also do something along these lines

That's a pretty cool setup. Is he on the site?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
That's a pretty cool setup. Do you know whose truck that is?

Yep

vvvvvv

Quote:
It's a local guy where I live , he is a carpenter and had it custom fabbed .
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yep

vvvvvv

Didn't catch it the first time
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
Didn't catch it the first time
This is a great thread if you are interested in a custom rack , not necessarily for an over cap set up , but the basics are there

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ck-advice.html
Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
Skewpage

Quote:
This is a great thread if you are interested in a custom rack , not necessarily for an over cap set up , but the basics are there

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ck-advice.html
Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #16
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty self explanatory. All I've seen so far are the commercial campers rated for 400lbs. After the 120lbs for the tent itself, it would be close having both my girlfriend and I up there, not to mention the rack needed to hold it.

Just use the crossbars that come with the shell and it should be fine. I wanted an ARB Touring rack for my RTT when I get a shell but it would be too heavy. I'm buying a leer reinforced shell and 4 crossbars to even the load. My ARB Simpson III is a hell of a lot heavier than the Camping Lab it replaced.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #17
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

is it 400lb static or dynamic? Usually they rate dynamic (moving) weight but static (parked) is much greater
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
I put a Bestop soft top on mine and then I bent up some tubing and welded a rack that goes over the soft top. The bars are at the same height as my factory roof rack, so I can carry long stuff as needed.

My future plan has always been to buy a roof top tent, so the rack will work perfectly. I welded mounts on the side so I can carry my hi-lift jack.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
I put a Bestop soft top on mine and then I bent up some tubing and welded a rack that goes over the soft top. The bars are at the same height as my factory roof rack, so I can carry long stuff as needed.

My future plan has always been to buy a roof top tent, so the rack will work perfectly. I welded mounts on the side so I can carry my hi-lift jack.
How does the rack mount ?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I'm planning on doing a framed canopy out of steel tubing, easier nori to worry about it and I may install industrial snaps and put a canvas over it to clean it up a bit.