1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bull Bar w/skidplate or just skid plate?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jakesdad1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jul 18, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    Jakesdad1

Jakesdad1 [OP] Member

Member:
    OK, dumb question. Just bought a new '12 Taco. Did not get off-road package. I assume I need to protect the undercarriage and I understand the stock skidplate isn't much.

I don’t plan on doing heavy off-roading but maybe some. Should I be looking for a stand-alone skidplate, or a bull bar skidplate combo?

2. Jul 18, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    I got the bull bar to hold my lights, and I didn't want a light bar (Really wanted an Avid style, but no one makes them, and I couldn't afford shipping). Some are saying the bull bar doesn't do much. I've had other guys tell me that in a traffic accident they lower the chances of getting the vehicle back from the shop with a bad frame...either it'll stop the frame from twisting, or it'll destroy it so the insurance won't try to fix it.

Regardless, I don't think the skid plate on a bull bar does anything either. Mine stops about 6" under the truck, and a skid plate is there to protect the engine compartment/drive line components, I believe

3. Jul 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    Jakesdad1

Jakesdad1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the response. That's kind of what it looked like to me. The bull bar skid plates look like they stop kind of short for any real protection.

4. Jul 18, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    A bullbar will not stop the frame from twisting. It might protect your truck from a VERY low speed impact, but quite often, they just bend into the truck, causing damage.

If the OP is looking for undercarriage protection, look for a skid plate made from at least 3/16" steel (Bud Built, All Pro). If you are really looking for some armor, ATO makes a 1/4" set, but they might be overkill.

5. Jul 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    Silver Streak

Silver Streak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westin Bull Bar
    skid plate. or both if you like the looks of the bull bar. their intended purpose is keeping brush off your front bumper more than anything. you can mount lights on them as well. i have both on my truck.

6. Jul 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Stand alone skid plate and sliders is where I would start.

Bull bars are damage multipliers and won't stop jack. Take a look at how they are mounted and you will see what I mean. if your looking for front bumper protection look up Avid Offroad. Their bar is much more sturdy then a bull bar.

7. Jul 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Jakesdad1

Jakesdad1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. A followup question: is the Toyota stock off road skid plate any good or do I need to look for after market?

8. Jul 19, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    The stock skid will protect you against smaller hits. If you see yourself hitting it fairly often , consider upgrading.

Products Discussed in

To Top