Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen cap on 2nd gen

Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen cap on 2nd gen

Anyone ever put a 1st gen shell/cap/camper on a 2nd gen?

I know the measurements are similar width and length wise, but I'm sure the 1st fits differently. I know it wouldn't look like an exact match, but would it look ridiculous?

If anyone has done this, please post pictures.

There are a lot of caps on craigslist nearby for only a couple hundred bucks but they are all for 1st gens. There aren't any used 2nd gen caps, and haven't been for months. I don't want to shell out (no pun intended) the money for a new one either.

TIA
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
There will be at least a 2" difference in width. It will probably be shorter (height wise). And yea, it will most likely look like butt.

Don't waste your time.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
There will be at least a 2" difference in width. It will probably be shorter (height wise). And yea, it will most likely look like butt.

Don't waste your time.
Thanks for the info. I tried measuring, and figured this would be the case.

Still interested in seeing some examples in the case of anyone rednecking it and having one on.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
wok167 is on a distinguished road
wok167's Tacoma Gallery
Here are photos of my 2011 reg cab with early cap.

Like you I could not find any used later model caps and did not want to spend 2K plus for new.

Certainly wasn't an exact fit.The front rails of the bed are a bit wider and you can see they don't align with the cap perfectly. You can also see quite a gap (about 1") where the cap barn doors do not line up with the rear of the bed. It lets mosquitos in, but unless it is really pouring, pounding rain, bed stays rather dry. Have slept in back in some heavy storms and only get a few drips towards the back. Perhaps a flip up door would fit better (perhaps worse).

While I certainly don't think of it as red-necked, bolting the cap on was a bit rigged. I drilled through the tool boxes and bolted through the bed tie downs. Not trusting this entirely, I bolted some 2X4's to the bed rail and then lag bolted the cap onto these as well.

Not the prettiest cap, but for $100 used, I can live with it.
Attached Thumbnails
1st gen cap on 2nd gen-100_3075.jpg   1st gen cap on 2nd gen-100_3077.jpg   1st gen cap on 2nd gen-100_3078.jpg   1st gen cap on 2nd gen-100_3079.jpg   1st gen cap on 2nd gen-100_3081.jpg  

Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pictures! Cap doesnt look all that bad on your truck. Besides, function over form! I've decided to hold off a little, as I don't really need one in the summer months. If anyone else has pictures though, feel free to share!