1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Color Match Barcelona Red Mica (3R3) Chrome grill

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TheWeatherman, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jul 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    TheWeatherman

TheWeatherman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    First post and sorry for it since I could have missed the info.

I have been trying to find all the info about matching the color of my father in-law's truck (soon to be mine) and get rid of the chrome grill. However, I keep seeing black and white matched grills but no Barcelona Red Mica (3R3) matches.

Has anyone who has this color matched and colored over their chrome grill? How did it turn out?

When sanding the chrome off the grill do you get to the black plastic or do you just scuff up the chrome and then use the adhesion promoter? I hear both and would like to know which is it....

I have also been told that the color match for black and white are easy for spray cans but not other colors like the racing blue and reds. Suggestions on where to get good color match spray cans?

Brian

2. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    I expanded my search and found some interesting suggestions from other people who de chrome grills that are not just Tacomas.

One guy says to use Ferric Chloride, some guys say use brake fluid and soak it, Purple Power (a degreaser), stove cleaner, etc. Anyone tried Ferric Chloride or purple power? I have some of it laying around and use it to etch my knives.

3. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    I would follow this DIY to the t, Scuff the chrome, then adhesion promoter, then primer, base, clear. All multiple coats with drying in between. Be patient and get the base coat from here-

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

Just select barcelona red 3r3 from the drop down menu. I just did my BSP 209 today. heres how it turned out-

IMG_0181.jpg

4. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    jfisher

jfisher Active Member

Member:
  5. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    I saw this website for the paint and it has been suggested to me once. How many cans did you end up using for the grill?

6. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    It is a good write up but I still believe that removing the chrome is the way to go instead of just scuffing it up with the sandpaper. We will see, I haven't made up my mind and I want to do it correctly the first time.

7. Jul 19, 2012 at 1:59 AM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    Just one

Products Discussed in

To Top