1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions on tires??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kyleTRDtaco12, Jul 18, 2012.

?

TIRE SIZE'S

Poll closed Aug 17, 2012.
  1. Keep BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's P245/75/R16's (only 600 miles on them)

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Or Trade for DECENT SET of Equivalent Model tires in the size P265/70/R16's

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. Jul 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    ok.. so i have a 2012 tacoma DCSB 4x4, and i just purchased some BFG all-terrain T/A KO's in the size P245/75/R16's about 600 miles ago, and im not sure i like the way that particular size looks on my truck (great tire tho).. so.. should i keep what i have already?? or should i go for the P265/70/R16's?? If anyone is willing to trade i might be interested, but what are your thoughts?? Thank you!

20120714_1504064.jpg
    20120714_15022921.jpg
    20120714_15024444.jpg
    20120714_15025922.jpg
    20120714_15031900.jpg

2. Jul 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Sounds tiny, but I'm not good with metric... got pics?

3. Jul 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    I think the 245's are stock size.. correct me if im wrong.

Get what you like OP. If you want bigger tires.. go bigger. lol

4. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    yes that is right, both sizes are OE sizes, the 245's are the base model (what i have) size, and the 265's are the off road package size :p

5. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    If you aren't happy and can afford to make the change, go for it. I personally love the look of 265/75's. They also provide a little more ground clearance. MPG's will suffer a little, but it is worth it IMO.

6. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    gonna upload some now :)

7. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    The difference in height is less than 2mm, and width is 2cm. You aren't going to see a difference in height, though the aggressive tread might look taller.

8. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:

is that right?? yeah i was mainly concerned about the width, its only 2cm in width?? wow.

9. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    The first number is the width in mm, the second is the height of the tire as a percentage of the width. That's why those two tires are both used. You might notice a bit of difference in handling, but not huge. Chances are you'd notice more of a difference due to the type of tire.

10. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    hm alright, thanks.. im just cant get over how much those two sizes alter the look of the truck tho, in my eyes anyway.. and i couldnt help but notice, but they honestly make a trail teams tacoma now lol?? or is that something cool you put together?? just curious :)

11. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    i rescind my vote.. it looks sick

12. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    i certainty appreciate your opinion, and thank you,that means alot, i really like your truck as well, i was actually gonna message you that before i posted this lol, and your tire sizes are actually what got me thinking, i really like your truck tho! keep it up :)

13. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    If it's a different model of tire, then it's probably just that one tire looks bigger because of the tread (like the way plain girls become hot nerds when they put on glasses). If it's the same tire, the slightly wider can make it appear taller (for example, I'm a hair under 5'8", but at over 200 lbs, people consistantly assume I'm about 5'10 or 5'11", until they stand next to me.) I know when I was a kid, putting wider tires looked a lot different.

Oh, and the Trail Teams is a Canadian thing apparently. My dealer ordered the wrong truck, and it was such a hassle even getting to that point, I said I'd take it.

14. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    xD! haha awesome analogy lol and yeah, you are right tho, on both things lol xD but do u think what i have now looks good tho, or no lol?? and thats interesting, i wish they offered a trail teams tacoma in the US market, i would bought that instantly lol :D

15. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    For the cost of a new set of tires, I'd keep what you have. I don't think it'd make enough of a difference to justify it. And the poser in me loves the look of the BFG's. I'm hoping the Dunlop highway tires mine came with wear out super fast so I can replace the with a more aggressive looking tire.

I like the trail teams. It gave me the roof rack, step bars and skid plate. I know there are better options than the Toyota ones, but I get the family discount, and it freed up some extra coin for other stuff. My business is less than a year old, so I promised my wife I wouldn't go all out on "stuff" just yet. Dying to ditch the decals, though. Just waiting to finish a few client projects

16. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    Mason04

Mason04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR 4x4, 17 4runner TRD OR 4x4, 75 FJ40, 94 4x4
    I too went with the BFG All terrain on my 2012 TRD offroad. I stayed with the same stock size, which is 265-70-16, so I didnt have to worry about any rubbing issues. This tire gives a much more aggresive stance than the stock Rugged Trails!

taco pic 7-11-12.jpg

17. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    alright cool mann, x) i do really value your opinion, and you're right, it really doesnt justify it at all, seeing that i just spent $216 per tire plus over $100 on a roadforce balance lol .. and i dont think it looks terrible, i do like it, i just wanted to see what my fellow tacoma world peers thought :)

and would u happen to have any pics of your truck?? i like to see what the trail teams package looks like xD and good luck with your business btw!

18. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    yes, thats right! agreed, i wanted to stick the stock size with my truck too, the, P245/75/R16 witch is what my base modle tacoma came with, so it didnt mess with my speedo, or have rubbing issues like you mentioned or anything.. keeping it the stock size was my deciding factor in the first place when i ordered these BFG tires, so... im assuming that was a wise decision on my part, but idk,, you tell me lol

19. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    tacoma1

tacoma1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Blossvale NY
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD PRO
    Love My BFGS!:) 275 70 17

20120716_165457.jpg

20. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    ^ sick looking truck bro!! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top