1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard Folding Tonneau Covers?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by K Williams, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Jul 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    K Williams

K Williams [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road V6 MT
    Banks Monster Exhaust URD Stage II Clutch
    Does installing a hard/solid folding tonneau cover prevent the tailgate from opening? If it will, which model is best? I'm trying to come up with a way to securly store my tools, fishing, and hunting gear in the bed of my truck.

2. Jul 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    Resqu2

Resqu2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    SW VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-road
    AVS Aeroskin bug shield, TufSkinz tailgate letters, tinted windows, Undercover Ultraflex bed cover.
    I don't think any will keep the tail gate from opening, tagging this thread cause I'm also looking for a nice cover and can't decide on what to go with.

3. Jul 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I had been looking for a folding tonneau cover. I couldn't make up my mind on which one to go with. I ended up buying an Undercover Flex. It has the look and feel of a high quality piece and does not get in the way of the tailgate opening and closing. I think it looks great as well. I'm very pleased with the cover; wish I would have bought it years ago.

If I had any complaint it's that the installation instructions were not very clear. It's not like installing one is rocket science though. I'm now in the process of buying a Dynolock tailgate lock. It won't be secure enough to store valubles but I'm thinking it will be good enough to be able to walk away from the truck long enough to be able to grab a bite to eat if I were on a road trip.

I spent more time than I should have making sure the fit was perfect. The result is the top seems to be very water tight. Not sure how it would be with directed high pressure water like in a carwash but we've had several major storms around here with sideways rain and the bed has stayed bone dry. Good luck with whatever you end up buying.

Can't say enought good things about the Undercover Flex.

4. Jul 23, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    chunt5

chunt5 Senior Citizen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chuck
    Cumming, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB, Prerunner, SR5, 4.0
    I purchased a solid Undercover tonneau. It locks and when locked prevents the tailgate from opening. The cover looks and fits good. It only weighs 58 lbs and can be removed in about 5 minutes. It even comes with brackets to hang it in your garage.
    It is not completely water tight. There is small gaps beside the front hinges. The gaps can be corrected with a little weather stripping. The only problem is that I have experienced an increase in wind noise on the freeway. The wind noise improves the longer the truck in the sun. I am not sure what is causing it or if it will get better with time.

5. Jul 23, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    Maysville06

Maysville06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Pre-runner SR5 Long bed
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust,20% window tint all around, Weather tec rear floor mats, Blacked out badges,Mudflaps removed,JDM black aftermarket headlights,black grille, running boards removed,Nightshaded tail lights,TRD Sport suspension,3in leveling kit in front,2in blocks in the rear,blacked out rims, Reese class III receiver hitch
    Have an acess cover for sale on here for a DCLB

6. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    JohnnyWayne

JohnnyWayne The Past Through Tomorrow

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Lantana, FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD Sport
    Look out for snakes in the grass guerrilla marketing.
    This ^^

7. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    Maysville06

Maysville06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Pre-runner SR5 Long bed
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust,20% window tint all around, Weather tec rear floor mats, Blacked out badges,Mudflaps removed,JDM black aftermarket headlights,black grille, running boards removed,Nightshaded tail lights,TRD Sport suspension,3in leveling kit in front,2in blocks in the rear,blacked out rims, Reese class III receiver hitch
  8. Nov 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    CKTACO

CKTACO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 DLB CAB TRC OR
    Go with the Undercover Flex. It has literally been raining since I put mine on and I've had only a small bead of water in the bed. I got mine through truckaddons.com for a good price and installed it myself in about an hour. Instructions are horrible, though.

9. Nov 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    Wiseguyfish

Wiseguyfish New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    I installed the Bak Flip cover to my taco about 4 years ago. I like it overall, but it does have some flaws. Firstly, it doesnt lock the tailgate. I had to buy a lock for my tailgate separately. With the tailgate locked, the cover cannot be opened.

The flaws are as follows. Each panel is disengaged from the bed rail by pulling cords on each side. Those cords are channeled through aluminum guides that are held on my double sided stick tape. After some time under the sun, they all started to fall off.

Also, the cables were held in each side with a crimp. So those eventually failed.

Lastly, the last panel eventually stopped engaging the bedrail, and I have to smash it with my elbow to make it hold. It does hide & lock your stuff away back there, but failing as it has after 4 years isnt a sturdy product in my book.

Below is a link to this cover.

http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/05__toyota_tacoma_installation

10. Nov 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    Doc4216

Doc4216 Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '14 FJ
    I also have the bakflip G2 but I haven't one single problem with it. I have the locking gate and when the top is closed you can't get into it. Plus, I love the look of it!

11. Nov 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    Doc4216

Doc4216 Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '14 FJ
    Here's the back of it!

uploadfromtaptalk1351896909183.jpg

12. Nov 3, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Here's my Undercover tonneau cover on my DCLB. I know it's not a folding but it's another option.

It has two locks on the top. You can twist lock them close(people still could get in), and you can use the key to lock the twist lock from moving(no one can get in). It folds down just over the sides and the tailgate of the truck. So when it's down the tailgate won't budge. The tie downs don't stick out so you can use them to secure things under the tonneau cover when it's closed.

I hope this helps.

Tonneau Cover1.jpg
    Tonneau Cover2.jpg
    Tonneau Cover3.jpg
    Tonneau Cover4.jpg
    Tonneau Cover5.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top